Unknown/navy patches

Steindaddie

Steindaddie

These came with a group of patches from a navy AD Skyraider pilot (he also flew A-4's). Can anyone identify?

Will

post-1949-0-07649900-1363926689.jpg

post-1949-0-66833200-1363926704.jpg

Patchcollector

The one on the left is the 514th from the VNAF,a Skyraider unit.The other one looks like a school unit,with the open book image.

Steindaddie

Thanks for the quick info. The 514 Squadron in the grouping makes sense in that our pilot was a Skyraider guy, AND ...one of the other patches in the group is a MAAG Vietnam.

Patchcollector

Thanks for the quick info. The 514 Squadron in the grouping makes sense in that our pilot was a Skyraider guy, AND ...one of the other patches in the group is a MAAG Vietnam.

Yes,and it stands to reason the other patch may very well be a training school unit that was used to train VNAF pilots.It looks theatre made,probably Japan.

vintageproductions

The 514th is a VNAF fighter squadron. Any squadron in the VNAF that starts with a 5 will always be a fighter. The other is a USN VA squadron but can't remember the exact designation right now.

firefighter

VA-122

Johnny

VA-122 was a training squadron.It was know as the 'Spad school' for a while.I did find this; From June-August 1960 the squadron trained eight officers from the South Vietnamese Air Force in the operation of the AD Skyraider.

Great find.

Patchcollector

VA-122 was a training squadron.It was know as the 'Spad school' for a while.I did find this; From June-August 1960 the squadron trained eight officers from the South Vietnamese Air Force in the operation of the AD Skyraider.

Great find.

Here is some info I found online:

Established at NAS San Diego as Composite Squadron THIRTY FIVE (VC-35) on 25 May 1950, the unit had the mission of all-weather attack and ASW. The squadron trained detachments for carrier deployments and also participated in various exercises held on the west coast. From 09 November 1950 through 09 June 1951 VC-35 Det 3 was the squadrons first detachment to deploy. It deployed to Korea and flew ASW patrols, night heckler missions and other combat sorties. These became the standard missions for the squadron detachments that deployed to Korea.

The squadron was redesignated Attack Squadron (All Weather) THIRTY FIVE (VA(AW)-35) on 1 July 1956. On 30 June 1959 at NAS Moffet Field, it was again redesignated Attack Squadron ONE TWENTY TWO (VA-122), becoming a component of Readiness Attack Carrier Air Wing Twelve. The squadron's mission was changed from all weather attack to fleet replacement training. It was responsible for insturment flight training for fleet prop pilots, including ground school; enlisted ground training for Skyraider maintenance personnel; and the training of fleet replacement pilots for the AD-6/7 Skyraider.
Known as the "Spad School", the squadron trained pilots and maintenance technicians for the A-1 Skyraider. From June-August 1960 the squadron trained eight officers from the South Vietnamese Air Force in the operation of the AD Skyraider.
In 1961 the squadron moved to NAS Lemoore.

Introduction of the Vought Aeronautical Division's new, single seat, fan jet A-7 Corsair II to naval air operations in 1966 began another era for VA-122. In November 1966, with the acceptance of the A-7A Corsair II, the squadron took on the additional mission of fleet replacement training in this new aircraft. The familiar "Spad School" shingle and large propeller were removed and replaced with a "Corsair College" placard in 1967

Here is some info I found online:

The squadron was redesignated Attack Squadron (All Weather) THIRTY FIVE (VA(AW)-35) on 1 July 1956. On 30 June 1959 at NAS Moffet Field, it was again redesignated Attack Squadron ONE TWENTY TWO (VA-122), becoming a component of Readiness Attack Carrier Air Wing Twelve.

I think it is important to note that I believe VA-35 absorbed the remaining components of VC-35 in 1956. And in 1959 a component part of VA-35 was splintered off to become VA-122.

VA-35 existed well before 1956, and continued well beyond 1959.

Not trying to split the atom, but this stuff is interesting to me. :rolleyes::D I spent a tour in VA-35 in the 1990s.

Thanks,

Chris

Patchcollector

I think it is important to note that I believe VA-35 absorbed the remaining components of VC-35 in 1956. And in 1959 a component part of VA-35 was splintered off to become VA-122.

VA-35 existed well before 1956, and continued well beyond 1959.

Not trying to split the atom, but this stuff is interesting to me. :rolleyes::D I spent a tour in VA-35 in the 1990s.

Thanks,

Chris

ZoomButt.gif

I just cut and pasted the info from GLOBALSECURITY.org.Perhaps they will incorporate your info if you contact them. :)