A battered B-10 and request for some more education...

38Driver

From the experts here :)

I grabbed a really shredded B-10 of E-Bay recently. I have the Iwo 51 Pilot B-10 that's in great shape, and I'm not intending to get too carried away, but this particular B-10 is connected to a name I recognized from the 370th Fighter Group history I have. So it was worn by a guy who flew 9th AF P-38s and P-51s and that's worth saving regardless of how shredded.

There has to be a way to save it and possibly restore itI figure, but that's for later.

Just a couple of quick questions for the guys who know there stuff. This is the tag from the inside.

JacketTag_zps4e4eca68.jpg

As best I can make out it says this:

TYPE B-10

SPECIFICATION NO 3157

SIZE 40

STOCK NO 8300 470720

ORDER NO 30-053 44-0479

?????? SPORTSWEAR ??

PROPERTY

AIR FORCES, US ARMY

Any thoughts on who the manufacturer was? There is no evidence at all of the AAF patch on the shoulder.

Second is regarding a leather tag that is sewn above the left pocket on the chest. I'm guessing it might be off an A-2 but I can't find a photo of a similar patch. I can barely make out his last name "Bilby" but I'd assume there might have been wings above the name in the same gold paint I can make out on the last letters of his last name.

Anyone have an image of a similar patch? You can just make out Bilby in the lower right.

BilbyB10patch_zps840ab792.jpg

The man in question, 4th from the left standing, with the 402nd FS, 370th FG at Florennes Belgium in the Fall/Winter of 44-45. If I look had enough it appears the patch is on the jacket he's wearing so I'm believing this is that B-10. Not nearly in as good of shape however :)

BilbyPic_zpsebc1fac7.jpg

This image was with the jacket. Lt. Chuck Bilby in a 402nd FS, 370th FG P51D after they gave up their 38s in the Spring of 45.

BilbyE6K2_zpsf3b75a30.jpg

I got his Ike jacket and pants with the jacket as well. No insignia or 9th AF patch, which was clearly removed, but again I hope to get it back to how it looked when he wore it. I've just about filled out my ETO Fighter pilot now. The little kid dream finally getting close to reality :)

littlebuddy

is the manufacturer "metro sportswear" ??? only one i can find that produced B10's

Carl

I would say the same as the only manufacturer I know are :

- H. BERNSTEIN & Co.

- DANN CLOTHING Co.

- L.S.L GARMENT Co.

- METRO SPORTSWEAR Inc. (N.Y.)

- ROUGH WEAR CLOTHING Co. (Middletown, Pa)

- SOVEREIGN Mfg. Co.

- STAGG COAT Co. Inc.

- SUPERIOR TOGS Co. Inc.

Thanks gents. I imagine that "metro sportswear" is it.

I couldn't find a list of manufacturers. I appreciate the education as always. The other B-10 I have is a Stagg Coat Co. I'm hoping to find a good way to restore/preserve this one as it really has some history too it with Lt. Bilby's combat time in the ETO in 38s and 51s in 44-45

At risk of pressing my luck.

Is this what I'm probably seeing on the front of the jacket as a pilot's name tag? I've dug through my unit histories and found one photo so far of something similar on a guys A-2 jacket. I'm thinking that this is what is on the B-10 of Lt. Bilby as well.

wings_zps89486449.jpg

There is no question that the last name "BILBY" is still slightly visible. I'm assuming based on everything else that it must have had the wings above and possibly something below the name as well.

BilbyB10patch_zps3efbb3e3.jpg

Just ran into this thread. Nice B-10! The manufacturer is actually Fitzwell Sportswear. They had a small contract for the B-10 jacket. Many B-10 jackets never had the AAF decal on the shoulder. It became more common with the B-15 and B-15A. As for the name tag, I've never quite seen one like that before, but there were all kinds of theatre made variants out there. Thanks for sharing! ..................JD

• 1 year later...

38 Driver, I wrote the history of the 370th and knew Chuck Bilby. My grandfather is Baggett, at the far left standing with the B-10 and sheepskin boots (which he later traded to a tanker who had some paratrooper jump boots he wanted).

I hate to tell you this story, because it pains me, but I will tell it anyway. I was at a 402nd Squadron reunion in about 1996 in San Antonio. Chuck and his wife were there. At one point she told me words to the effect that, "I found his cloth jacket recently with the fur collar and washed it in the washer." I cringed. That would explain the condition. My grandfather didn't come home with his B-10 but, instead, somehow came back with a B-15. He wore it for years working cattle so it is in pretty ragged shape and I don't even know if he actually flew wearing it on missions. Some guys had B-3s but not my grandfather. He wore that B-10 to stay warm in the cold 38 cockpit.

Chuck was the nicest guy. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Johnny Signor

He may have had the wing/ID patch made post war , as most AAF types like that were done in silver , the later US Army also did them in silver , Gold was usually done for Navy/Marine types, so it would "suggest" a "custom" made one , the wing you posted on your "example" has latter era Army wings , you'd need to put USAAF type on it not the Army wing .

You can also just make out the letter "C" and vaguely the "R" to left of Bilby , so the block lettering is good like you posted , there's a lot of patch makers that can have the wings made for you if you decide to replace it .

38 Driver, I wrote the history of the 370th and knew Chuck Bilby. My grandfather is Baggett, at the far left standing with the B-10 and sheepskin boots (which he later traded to a tanker who had some paratrooper jump boots he wanted).

I hate to tell you this story, because it pains me, but I will tell it anyway. I was at a 402nd Squadron reunion in about 1996 in San Antonio. Chuck and his wife were there. At one point she told me words to the effect that, "I found his cloth jacket recently with the fur collar and washed it in the washer." I cringed. That would explain the condition. My grandfather didn't come home with his B-10 but, instead, somehow came back with a B-15. He wore it for years working cattle so it is in pretty ragged shape and I don't even know if he actually flew wearing it on missions. Some guys had B-3s but not my grandfather. He wore that B-10 to stay warm in the cold 38 cockpit.

Chuck was the nicest guy. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for that. I;m still hoping to 'restore' it. Just saving my pennies for the job. I was somewhat surprised that the jacket and his Ike Jacket and pants were left in a storage locker along with a couple of prints of the Robert Bailey art showing a couple of P-38s of the 402nd, autographed by 13 of the 402nd pilots including Mr. Bilby. The kids didn't want any of it.

Seems important to preserve that history. I have your book and reference often :)

Based on the remaining stitching before "Sportswear", I'm thinking it's "Fitzwell Sportswear". I do know that Fitzwell made civilian B-15s after the war, but I believe they also had a government contract during the war. Look at the label closely and "Fitzwell", no pun intended, fits into what remains of the stitching.

See post 7 in this thread! ;-)

Guess I should have read the whole thread. :wacko:

If you look in "Art of the Flight Jacket", check pages 117 & 118 and you'll see a B-10 I used to own with a 22nd BG "Red Raiders" painted on the back. I forgot who the maker was, but it has a nice AAF logo on the arm. The person I sold it to still has it, but they won't sell it back to me. :(

Guess I should have read the whole thread. :wacko:

If you look in "Art of the Flight Jacket", check pages 117 & 118 and you'll see a B-10 I used to own with a 22nd BG "Red Raiders" painted on the back. I forgot who the maker was, but it has a nice AAF logo on the arm. The person I sold it to still has it, but they won't sell it back to me. :(

Hey W,

I love that B-10! One of the cooler ones I've seen. I would want it back too! Finding nice original decorated B-10 jackets is tough. I've only had a chance at very few legit painted B-10's in all the years I've been collecting flight jackets.

JD

I also found the B-10 owner's original medals and paperwork separately from the jacket and re-united them. It has a period repair above the artwork, but otherwise in good condition to the best of my memory. I'll have to call the current owner and see if he'll give me the maker name.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that. I;m still hoping to 'restore' it. Just saving my pennies for the job. I was somewhat surprised that the jacket and his Ike Jacket and pants were left in a storage locker along with a couple of prints of the Robert Bailey art showing a couple of P-38s of the 402nd, autographed by 13 of the 402nd pilots including Mr. Bilby. The kids didn't want any of it.

Seems important to preserve that history. I have your book and reference often :)

Hi 38 Driver,

Glad you have the book. Since you have the book, Google me and email me at work. I'll share better quality copies of the photos I have of Chuck. Jay

Hi 38 Driver,

Glad you have the book. Since you have the book, Google me and email me at work. I'll share better quality copies of the photos I have of Chuck. Jay

Hi Jay,

I've googled high and low and have the phone number and address but no e-mail! I'd love to see the photos. I have a couple of him flying a 370th Mustang that were in the pocket of his Officer's Ike jacket that was also with the B-10 that you might like if you haven't seen them already.

my e-mail is spit12 (at) frontiernet.net

Thanks much

Dan

It was nice to be able to match these right side photos to the left side and name on this Mustang thanks to your book :)

post-68384-0-91416800-1398481946.jpg