WW 1 PAINTED HELMET

Terry K.

I heard from a friend that an aquintence may be getting a few items of WW1 stuff from the vets granddaughter. He told me there was a helmet with an Indian head on it but no EGA ( I had to ask). Anyway I told him (my friend ) I would be interested in it if he could get it for me to see. Well he called me this morning and said he had it and I should meet him at McDonalds. Needless I bought him lunch. Here is what he brought me.

Terry

post-629-0-51095200-1363888394.jpg

post-629-0-61623000-1363888563.jpg

post-629-0-99576400-1363888577.jpg

post-629-0-33920600-1363888612.jpg

Here are the last pics. He also got the vets boots, but they look like officers to me, I bought those too. He doesn't know what else there is but was told there is more and he will get the vets name. Here is the liner and fire number.

Terry

post-629-0-61159800-1363888835.jpg

post-629-0-71254600-1363888854.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

Great helmet! I sure hope he was able to get you the Vets name and it might not be a bad Idea to have the Granddaughters information also to keep the provenance!! As the fakes are getting better and better, to future buyers that holds a lot of the value!

Again, nice find!!

Troy

Here is the problem. The gut that owns it wants a lot of money for it ($300) and the boots, which he wants to sell as a set. The boots are of the officer's type. I do not know what else will come out from the vets daughter but I don't think this stuff is worth that much. Most unit painted helmets (other than USMC) are bringing around $100 that I see. Do you all think the helmet and boots are worth it? I have to know sometime tomorrow or send it back. Please let me know what you think.

Terry

dont let this one slip away, I would buy it, it's not easy to get one right out of the wood work from the veteran's family

USMC stuff is always more valuable, since it's harder to find

maybe you should make an offer and see what he says

Hi All,

Thanks for the answers guys!

I guess I will pay for it and see what else comes out from the family. Meybe there is the uniform.

Thanks again for the support. I will let you know what happens.

Terry

Nice complete helmets from any Army unit of the 2nd Division are regularly selling for more than $300. Some of the less common ones are pushing $400.

normaninvasion

Nice complete helmets from any Army unit of the 2nd Division are regularly selling for more than $300. Some of the less common ones are pushing $400.

Wow, should have hung on to the ones I had!

USMC-RECON0321

Keep in mind, if i'm understanding the poster's information above, $300 was for the helmet and the Officer boots.

Well ALL,

I took the plung and my buddy is going to tell him half today and half when he gets the name/other stuff. He is real good friends with the guy, I just know him. I have the helmet and boots in my possession and they are mine. The soles are marked USKIDE, heavy duty, United States Rubber Company, 10 1/2 iron. The heels are marked Goodyear. Both the Co. and the Goodyear name were making soles and heels during WW1, this company was the only one that Charles Goodyear (the inventor of Vulcanization) had stock in. They are brown.

Here are a couple of pics of them,

Terry

post-629-0-72833600-1363969726.jpg

post-629-0-76558900-1363969734.jpg

post-629-0-80690500-1363969745.jpg

post-629-0-52251100-1363969755.jpg

Hi All,

A big THANK YOU and an update.

Thanks everyone for helping me to decide what to do.

Here's the update. Good and bad news, I met with my friend after he went to pay for the helmet and boots. He was told that, YES there IS a uniform and other stuff, and he will get the name for me! I can't wait! That's the good news, here's the bad, he has no idea went it will be available. I told my friend to ask for pictures, dogtags, etc..

I will keep you all informed when something happens.

Once again, Thanks for the help.

Terry

I think you got a great deal, if that helmet and boots were for sale for $300 at a militaria show there would probably be a fistfight over it!.......mike

Hi All,

A big THANK YOU and an update.

Thanks everyone for helping me to decide what to do.

Here's the update. Good and bad news, I met with my friend after he went to pay for the helmet and boots. He was told that, YES there IS a uniform and other stuff, and he will get the name for me! I can't wait! That's the good news, here's the bad, he has no idea went it will be available. I told my friend to ask for pictures, dogtags, etc..

I will keep you all informed when something happens.

Once again, Thanks for the help.

Terry

thats still good news, because you have the priority as the first buyer that gets a chance to see it , buy it before others, since you have the connections, your lucky

just make sure they hold it for you until it's available for you to see it

Hi Guys,

Yeah, you all convinced me it a good deal. I have had horrible luck moving WW1 helmets and was afraid to put that much money into it. I know that groupings of US Army WW1 uniforms sets are getting pretty scarce but I have trouble getting anything out of the stuff. WW1 german spikes are dead around here and doughboy helmets are worse, last two I had(pianted insignia ones) I couldn't get $75 for them.Tthat is why I asked the forum members. In fact before you all answered me, I had called my buddy and told him I did not want the stuff. Now that there maybe a uniform and more coming I can't wait. He might be a local boy to, which would make it real nice.

Terry

Great looking helmet and boots, I hope you get the full grouping together again. If painted helmets are that way out in Illinois, it makes me think I should take a trip back out to the midwest and do some hunting! Always a hot commodity out here in the east.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE!!!!!

Ran into my buddy today. He ran into his buddy(the one that got the helmet and boots from the family) and was told if everything goes alright he should have more items Sunday. He told him there was two hats, a uniform, a gasmask and maybe a picture and some other stuff.He also said he would get the name. If he doesn't get it tomorrow it may be a week or more. God let him get it tomorrow!! Please!

Terry