ID Help - Victor Silver Co. spoon from USS Macon (CA-132) or USS Macon (ZRS-5)

TRR

I have a spoon that is marked U.S.N. MACON, made by the Victor Silver Company. It has their hallmark "1/2 (+)"

From what I know so far is that The Derby Silver Company owned the trademark line of Victor Silver Co. and the factory closed in 1933. That would correspond with the date of ZRS-5 being it was launched in 1933 and silverware would have been bought before that.

Does anybody have any knowledge of the silverware used by the Navy on either the airships or ships?

Thanks in advance.

post-110009-0-63308900-1363875571.jpg

Salvage Sailor

The Airship MACON had a very small complement and short service life.

I'm thinking it's from the heavy cruiser USS MACON (CA-132) and was stamped from old stock purchased by the Navy.

Another possibility is that it's a commemorative spoon for the commercial market.

The Airship MACON had a very small complement and short service life.

I'm thinking it's from the heavy cruiser USS MACON (CA-132) and was stamped from old stock purchased by the Navy.

That's what I thought too...until I saw the airship MACON being referred to as the "USN MACON". Rather unusual designation...

Off ePay...

mac.jpg

USN designation is also what drew me towards airship. I found some other examples of Victor that were from large corporations of the time in the same pattern but nothing from the Navy. Does anybody have any vessel named silverware from WWII ships that this could be compared with?

Thanks for the input!