Pork Chop Hill--Movie and some facts I thought you might want to know.

history-buff1944

history-buff1944

One thing I need to add is--im still going slow on asking questions as I dont want to be a constant pest--though the Colonel says im not--but im still going to ask the other questions soon as I can.

One thing I need to add is--im still going slow on asking questions as I dont want to be a constant pest--though the Colonel says im not--but im still going to ask the other questions soon as I can.

Ask him if he still eats his raisins :lol:

history-buff1944

Ask him if he still eats his raisins :lol:

Great question!! That one never occurred to me to ask. If they had rep points here? I would give you 10 for 10.

Great question!! That one never occurred to me to ask. If they had rep points here? I would give you 10 for 10.

Ha hahaa, what are rep points?

history-buff1944

Ha hahaa, what are rep points?

Some forums award rep points to people based on how good a persons post or topic is. Other sites give Military Badges (in icon form) or ribbon bars and such.

Oh and, I just sent him another letter this morning which included your question on raisins. :lol::lol::lol:

Some forums award rep points to people based on how good a persons post or topic is. Other sites give Military Badges (in icon form) or ribbon bars and such.

Oh and, I just sent him another letter this morning which included your question on raisins. :lol::lol: :lol:

Oh you mean like the Armchair General? Captain of the Forums, Field Marshal, stuff like that? No thank's I like being a Spec 4 or am I a slick sleeve Pvt :rolleyes: But I do believe that sort of thing would go against the spirit of this forum, and start undo competition, and generate a I,m better than you attitude.

Gee I hope his eating Rasins, "Hey Suki did you have your Iron today" was not a Hollywood script add in.

history-buff1944

Oh you mean like the Armchair General? Captain of the Forums, Field Marshal, stuff like that? No thank's I like being a Spec 4 or am I a slick sleeve Pvt :rolleyes: But I do believe that sort of thing would go against the spirit of this forum, and start undo competition, and generate a I,m better than you attitude.

Gee I hope his eating Rasins, "Hey Suki did you have your Iron today" was not a Hollywood script add in.

Heh heh, nah--one site im on gives just points and little green boxes. When a person does something irritating-they they get negative rep points which give you a tiny red box next to your moniker. Others award ribbon bars, rank, medals and such. One im on even had a "Blind Persons Badge" which I need here apparently--as well as a "Radioactive Lemon" badge. :lol::: :lol:

Hopefully in a week or so, ill be able to answer that "Fruit" query.

Hi guys,

here's Gregory Peck talking about the movie............ hope it's interesting.....

cheers,

-John

1SG_1st_Cav

I saw this movie as a kid. In February 1960, I took Basic Training at Ft Knox, KY, in E Company, 2nd Bn, 6th Armored Cavalry. We met our Drill Sergeant and he laid down the law to us. Then he told us we were lucky to have CPT Joseph Clemmons as our Company Commander, and he explained exactly who he was. As a 17 year old I was in total awe of this hero as he visited with us frequently until he was promoted to Major and moved to Bn HQ. Then I saw him again in Germany in 1964-65. It would be interesting to research how many of our war heroes actually had movies made about them. Maybe our members can chip in with some info. Lets start with Audie Murphy and Joe Clemmons.

"If you ain't Cav, you ain't S***"! Danny

history-buff1944

Hi gents and--thank you for the Doc.

And to answer patches question about him and the raisins--he still enjoys his daily Iron. :lol::lol: :lol:

One slight thing though--Colonel Joe and his Wife Cecil said he wasn't stationed at Fort Knox and the Clemmons in question might be another? He also said he didnt care for the "shine" that some officers enjoyed--like highly polished helmet liner--and didnt carry a swagger stick. Nobody is being called anything--just that he might be being thought of as a different Clemmons.

Oh and--for anyone wanting to possibly know more about the 6 gents who did the famed 2nd flag-raising on iwo Jima? I might be soon getting in touch with their Company Commander--who is still alive and lives in California.

Ill be getting you guys more in the future. Also, he reiterated--at least 99% of what you saw in the movie--really did happen. He mentioned that every time that Chinese soldier fired the flamethrower into their bunker--they had to leap out of the way as best as possible--continuously tossing sandbags at the door and anywhere else flames tried to lick their way in. The charge you see the G.I's making at the end of the movie--happened and he remembered hearing many a different yell--such as Whoops, Southern yells and such. It reminded him of old Westerns he had seen as a youngster.

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/23/2021 at 6:29 PM, RayRay said:

I was curious if the Chinese broadcasting over the loudspeaker was real

No that was just the actor doing that, Viraj Amonsin .

Not 100% sure, but Viraj Amonsin may have been Siamese rather than Chinese, BIOs of him are not listed, nor does his IMDb mention it, or if he's still around.

pork.PNG

• 4 months later...