dg0223

Images of Ribbons That People Ask To Identify Often

Received in a recent eBay lot with WWII ribbon racks. Said to have come from a LTC. The 15 years and 20 years medals were sold to someone else.

New York NY National Guard Long & Faithful Service (obsolete) 20 years ribbon (bronze); 30 years ribbon (gold); 15 years medal (bronze); 20 years medal (gold)

This is the New York State (National Guard) Long and Faithful Service Medal. It is the old pattern that goes from a basic medal to a series of devices and finally a neck decoration depending on the years of service. The current pattern of the award starts with a ribbon and a certificate and then expands to a medal with numerous devices.

As the topic says..What is this ribbon ?

It looks like the South Dakota National Guard distinguished service ribbon.

...Kat

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

This mystery ribbon was on a USMC uniform that was donated to out VFW post last week. It was a WWII Marine's dress coat. The standard group of ribbons was there... WWII Victory, Amer. Defense, Asiatic campaign, Purple Heart and this thing! It's green and twice the width of a normal ribbon. It has 2 silver stars and 2 bronze OLCs. The attachment pin is the older type without the lock. None of the Marines I showed it to have seen it before. I think it may be a theater made thing??

Well I get a No_outside_hosting message when I try to insert the pics. Apparently it won't work here. :( I'll try something else.

post-8803-0-13716500-1438884892.jpg

De Oppresso Liber' 67-69

Garry Owen '70

Here are a couple of images of a wavy edge WWI Occupation of Germany Medal ribbon that was worn alongside of a WWI Victory Medal. USN/USMC -pre 1951, 1/2" width.

If memory serves, the WWI Occupation Medal was not authorized until 1941, with the wavy edged ribbon being made available soon after.

Due to wartime shortages it was not struck and issued until after the war.

I can't get to my library right now to lock this down, but I think I'm close, if not right.

post-160253-0-49347700-1452459236.jpg

post-160253-0-37868000-1452459247.jpg

I have too much stuff!

Revolutionary War through Korea.

Lots of field gear, some uniforms and "one or two" medals and a bit of insignia. Plus lots of odds and ends, too many and varied to go into detail here. Just ask and I'll try to help. Who knows? Maybe we can work something out!

Air Force makes sense, it does seem as though there was a heck of a lot more guys with the USAAF in the CBI area than army guys.

Old post I realize, Reverend, but thought I'd add this. I just removed these from my dad's dress uniform jacket yesterday. I'm going to mount them, along with his silver bullion CBI shoulder patch and his leather blood chit.

He was a captain in the army, teaching the Chinese how to shoot howitzers at a base out side of Kunming, China. Circa early '45. I'm not an expert in these but I think he had a couple sewn to his jacket upside down. But this is the order he had them on his uniform.

Scott

post-157467-0-58581400-1484164110.jpg

One thing that took me a while to differentiate were the Combat Action Ribbons of the the Navy and Coast Guard.

post-167954-0-02165000-1492839961.png = NAVY Combat Action Ribbon

post-167954-0-30213600-1492839988.png = COAST GUARD Combat Action Ribbon (notice the extra white stripes)

The CAR was originally a Dept of Navy award created in 1969 and made retroactive to 1961. There is a plethora of information regarding the ships and units eligible since 1961. The Coast Guard version came about in 2008 and was retroactive to 1975. Much less information exists regarding the eligible units.

However, an interesting wrinkle is that when Congress pushed the Navy CAR eligibility date back to Dec. 1941, Coast Guardmen serving aboard ships of war under the authority of the Dept of Navy became eligible for the Navy Combat Action Ribbon. You have to do the leg work to prove that you or your ancestor was aboard a certain ship and figure which conflicts that ship was in and that it was engaged in actual combat.

It is a neat and respectable achievement to be able to add (if qualifying) to a veteran's display box, especially for a Coast Guardsman to have the Navy version.

Here are a couple that show up on rare occasion. These are Civil Air Patrol from the WWII time frame. The first is a CAP Encampment ribbon. The second is the first pattern Recruitment ribbon. Later versions have the stripes going vertical instead of at an angle.

Allan

post-151-0-26311300-1535996498.jpg

Never under-estimate the power of prayer.

donation2007.gif

Here are a couple that show up on rare occasion. These are Civil Air Patrol from the WWII time frame. The first is a CAP Encampment ribbon. The second is the first pattern Recruitment ribbon. Later versions have the stripes going vertical instead of at an angle.

Allan

Not WWII, say early to mid 60's. Also, the ribbon on the right is the Membership Ribbon.

Thanks for the clarification. I find it interesting that the WB ribbons look exactly like the WWII made pieces. I wonder when WB stopped making these types of ribbons?

Allan

Never under-estimate the power of prayer.

donation2007.gif

Yep, definitely not a P.O.W. ribbon either! I had to pay very steeply for a uniform that I wanted because the man served literally beside another man in my collection. The seller said he was a P.O.W. because of the ribbon (I'd identified him, wasn't in the division's pow book or NARA) but a pile of bidders bought the prisoner story when he was just like a bunch of other GIs that grabbed any old occupation ribbon and went home! Oh well, I reunited two buddies that served inches from each other 73 years ago!

Here are a couple of images of a wavy edge WWI Occupation of Germany Medal ribbon that was worn alongside of a WWI Victory Medal. USN/USMC -pre 1951, 1/2" width.

If memory serves, the WWI Occupation Medal was not authorized until 1941, with the wavy edged ribbon being made available soon after.

Due to wartime shortages it was not struck and issued until after the war.

I can't get to my library right now to lock this down, but I think I'm close, if not right.

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif

Thanks for the clarification. I find it interesting that the WB ribbons look exactly like the WWII made pieces. I wonder when WB stopped making these types of ribbons?

Allan

My guess is sometime in the late 1970s. These designs were really not that popular. The designs were developed by one individual at CAP NHQ and were generally regarded negatively because the ribbons looked like prizes in Cracker Jack boxes. I was a young CAP lieutenant then. I remember that in the right heat, the thin woven ribbons (like the Membership Award) would actually flatten out and fall off the ribbon bar.

BTW, the ribbon bar is upside down and probably means the senior member/officer in question completed Level I training and what was then classified as a "Class A Encampment."

Are there any good resources on the order of precedence for the obsolete American awards. I'm most interested in pre-WWI to post-WWI U.S. Navy awards.

Actually the WWII variant of the medal was not first awarded until April 1947 so WWII uniforms where you see this ribbon on it meant that because no medal had been made, the old ribbon bar was issued as a place holder until the new ones started being issued.

I've been asked about this one before....definitely not as hard to ID as some of the ribbons that you have posted, but still slightly uncommon.

The reason it is uncommon is that I have seen these on several WWII (NOT WWI) Uniforms and the soldier in question was no where near old enough to be a WWI vet.

I think what the consensus was, if they served on occupation duty after WWII, they just threw this ribbon on their rack because the WWII Army of Occupation medal hadn't yet been adopted. If I am wrong, somebody please correct me on this

Allan

The first design Cadet Encampment ribbon was used from Jan. 1954 to July 1964. The ribbon is shown upside down. The other ribbon is the first design of the membership ribbon and was used from June 1966 thru Aug. 1982 when replaced by the current design. The ribbon is awarded to senior members (adults), for completion of Level One intro training.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Before the actually WWII red black and white version was officially made, this ribbon was given out as the occupation award for immediate post war Germany because the medal used to be called the Occupation medal. After the new one was authorized most who had gotten out never wrote in to get their award changed.

I've been asked about this one before....definitely not as hard to ID as some of the ribbons that you have posted, but still slightly uncommon.

The reason it is uncommon is that I have seen these on several WWII (NOT WWI) Uniforms and the soldier in question was no where near old enough to be a WWI vet.

I think what the consensus was, if they served on occupation duty after WWII, they just threw this ribbon on their rack because the WWII Army of Occupation medal hadn't yet been adopted. If I am wrong, somebody please correct me on this