Images of Ribbons That People Ask To Identify Often

dg0223

Skysoldier80

Actually the WWII variant of the medal was not first awarded until April 1947 so WWII uniforms where you see this ribbon on it meant that because no medal had been made, the old ribbon bar was issued as a place holder until the new ones started being issued.

I've been asked about this one before....definitely not as hard to ID as some of the ribbons that you have posted, but still slightly uncommon.

The reason it is uncommon is that I have seen these on several WWII (NOT WWI) Uniforms and the soldier in question was no where near old enough to be a WWI vet.

I think what the consensus was, if they served on occupation duty after WWII, they just threw this ribbon on their rack because the WWII Army of Occupation medal hadn't yet been adopted. If I am wrong, somebody please correct me on this

Here's the Wiki link to obsolete American campaign medals and awards:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsolete_military_awards_of_the_United_States

Been there. It doesn't list order of precedence, not completely. I need to know where three WWI Victory medal sits in order of precedence. It's for a graphic novel a friend and I are working on.

Lee Ragan

Here are a couple that show up on rare occasion. These are Civil Air Patrol from the WWII time frame. The first is a CAP Encampment ribbon. The second is the first pattern Recruitment ribbon. Later versions have the stripes going vertical instead of at an angle.

Allan

The first design Cadet Encampment ribbon was used from Jan. 1954 to July 1964. The ribbon is shown upside down. The other ribbon is the first design of the membership ribbon and was used from June 1966 thru Aug. 1982 when replaced by the current design. The ribbon is awarded to senior members (adults), for completion of Level One intro training.

• 5 months later...
Salvage Sailor

Scabbard and Blade Society

Original five star ribbon and current ribbons on chart

scabbard and blade society 001.jpg

scabbard and blade society 002.jpg

slide_11.jpg

Skysoldier80

Before the actually WWII red black and white version was officially made, this ribbon was given out as the occupation award for immediate post war Germany because the medal used to be called the Occupation medal. After the new one was authorized most who had gotten out never wrote in to get their award changed.

I've been asked about this one before....definitely not as hard to ID as some of the ribbons that you have posted, but still slightly uncommon.

The reason it is uncommon is that I have seen these on several WWII (NOT WWI) Uniforms and the soldier in question was no where near old enough to be a WWI vet.

I think what the consensus was, if they served on occupation duty after WWII, they just threw this ribbon on their rack because the WWII Army of Occupation medal hadn't yet been adopted. If I am wrong, somebody please correct me on this

• 1 year later...
On 3/21/2013 at 12:50 PM, Captainofthe7th said:

Washington National Guard Achievement medal also shows up very often.

Rob

post-5589-0-92092500-1403120733.jpg

I believe this is the same ribbon. I once found the ribbon on a two bar set from the fifties that I believe also contained the Navy Achievement Ribbon, Army (Navy) Of Occupation, NDSM, Korean Service Medal and United Nations Korean Service Medal. It seems like at some point I had found some information that the ribbon was some sort of early NATO ribbon. That would make more sense being worn by a soldier assigned to US Army Europe. 

USAREUR.Occupation Ribbon.jpg

Captainofthe7th
7 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

I believe this is the same ribbon. I once found the ribbon on a two bar set from the fifties that I believe also contained the Navy Achievement Ribbon, Army (Navy) Of Occupation, NDSM, Korean Service Medal and United Nations Korean Service Medal. It seems like at some point I had found some information that the ribbon was some sort of early NATO ribbon. That would make more sense being worn by a soldier assigned to US Army Europe. 

Yes, I have learned since that time (wow, 2013!) that this is always more likely the NATO service ribbon.   It is recognized in some manuals and pamphlets along with ribbons like "Korean Occupation" that would cost you a fine if caught!  Excellent photo showing it in use.

Thanks,

Rob

• 10 months later...
menelder1941
On 3/29/2015 at 6:40 PM, AverageJoeWWII said:

As the topic says..What is this ribbon ?

post-39781-0-91143000-1427675983.jpg

The ribbon is a multi use one,

WB#    Category    Ribbon_Name
4015    NG    AZ. N.G. Medal of Honor-Sty.A (Obs.)
4015    ROTC    Young Marines Drug Demand Reduction
4015    ROTC-O    American Logistics Association ROTC Award
4015v    LOTC    LOTC #51 Perfect Attendance
4015v    NG    SD. N.G. Distinguished Service Medal-Sty.B
4015v    NG    NE. N.G. Individual Achievement Medal
4015V    NG    AZ. N.G. Honor Attendance Ribbon-Tp1
4015v    NG    WV. N.G. Distinguished Service Medal 

The widths vary on some due to when made, etc.

menelder1941
On 5/1/2019 at 2:39 PM, Lee Ragan said:

The first design Cadet Encampment ribbon was used from Jan. 1954 to July 1964. The ribbon is shown upside down. The other ribbon is the first design of the membership ribbon and was used from June 1966 thru Aug. 1982 when replaced by the current design. The ribbon is awarded to senior members (adults), for completion of Level One intro training.

If you want to see the dates when these were authorized, see=http://www.frontiernet.net/~ericbush/US/Caporder.htm

• 11 months later...

.....I have looked through numerous charts and my old eyes don't see a comparable ribbon. This one is on one of the bars my Dad had in his box of war momentos. Even took it to the historian at Camp Atterbury and he wasn't certain what it was? My Pop was among that group of veterans that had records lost in the St Louis fire, he had a hard time reconstructing his records. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.....

20220808_082159_kindlephoto-39106337.jpg

1 hour ago, Vanderbilt said:

.....I have looked through numerous charts and my old eyes don't see a comparable ribbon. This one is on one of the bars my Dad had in his box of war momentos. Even took it to the historian at Camp Atterbury and he wasn't certain what it was? My Pop was among that group of veterans that had records lost in the St Louis fire, he had a hard time reconstructing his records. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.....

20220808_082159_kindlephoto-39106337.jpg

I believe it is a WW1 unofficial victory ribbon.

Here is a thread that talks about them more.

47 minutes ago, BEAT_NAVY said:

I believe it is a WW1 unofficial victory ribbon.

Here is a thread that talks about them more.

.....yeah, a similar ribbon shows up in that thread. Now, why would someone that wasn't even born until after WW1 and didn't enlist until 1942 have that medal unless it was a unit award?

26 minutes ago, Vanderbilt said:

.....yeah, a similar ribbon shows up in that thread. Now, why would someone that wasn't even born until after WW1 and didn't enlist until 1942 have that medal unless it was a unit award?

Probably for the same reason that many American servicemembers were awarded and wore the ribbon for the World War I Army of Occupation Medal before the World War II version was issued. Expediency. That would be my guess.

18 minutes ago, seanmc1114 said:

Probably for the same reason that many American servicemembers were awarded and wore the ribbon for the World War I Army of Occupation Medal before the World War II version was issued. Expediency. That would be my guess.

....awright, makes sense. Helps me to identify the medals. I was going to put a note in the shadow box. So, someone that doesn't have military knowledge can place the medals. When I'm gone and who knows where this box winds up.

• 6 months later...
On 10/9/2020 at 5:28 PM, Captainofthe7th said:

Yes, I have learned since that time (wow, 2013!) that this is always more likely the NATO service ribbon.   It is recognized in some manuals and pamphlets along with ribbons like "Korean Occupation" that would cost you a fine if caught!  Excellent photo showing it in use.

Thanks,

Rob

Here's an article (pdf) from OMSA about the NATO service medal;  in the 1950s when it first arose, the idea was rejected by the US military. 

134121_JOMSA_Vol48_8_19.pdf

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I recently acquired these 3 WW1 ribbons along with the theater patch and the 2 overseas chevrons. Does anyone know what the middle ribbon is for? It is 3 equal bars of red, blue, and white. I could not find it in any of my searches. I would like if someone could confirm that it is a welcome back ribbon, or some fraternal ribbon before I write it off. Thanks

Siberia.JPG

More than likely the middle ribbon would be paired with the Chinese Army, Navy, Air Force Medal. To my knowledge, it didn’t exist in WW I. When worn it would be white, blue, red.

The Gold Medal for Bravery of Montenegro was awarded to United States soldiers during the War with those ribbon colours. Most often seen to recipients of the MoH along side other foreign decorations, I would be interested to know total numbers awarded to the U.S. however a reasonable possibility I'd say.

Jeff

BUFF Rider

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. It appears that this is a American Expedition Force Siberia Reunion Medal ribbon. I will keep it with the set with a note as to what it is.

Good sleuth work on pinning this down. I learned something new about ribbons on this thread as it pertains to WW I.