Images of Ribbons That People Ask To Identify Often

dg0223

Some Canadian ones that might show up from time to time

The Order Of Canada

canada007.gifcanada006.gifcanada005.gif

L-R Companion(CC) ,Officer(OC) Member(CM)

The Order Of Military Merit

canada017.gifcanada016.gifcanada015.gif

L-R Commander (CMM), Officer (OMM), and Member (MMM)

The Star Of Courage (SC)

canada067.gif

The Medal Of Bravery (MB)

canada072.gif

The Meritorious Service Cross (MSC)

canada038.gif

Meritorious Service Medal (MSM)

canada076.gif

ReverendJake
I just want to say this is the only ribbon bar that I've ever seen that has the China Liberation Ribbon AND the WW2 Occupation ribbon. Great piece!

Probably also one of the only army sets that I've seen with the China Liberation ribbon. I guess most CBI army and USAAF guys were eligible, but I always see it on navy and marine bars.

Captainofthe7th

I just want to say this is the only ribbon bar that I've ever seen that has the China Liberation Ribbon AND the WW2 Occupation ribbon. Great piece!

I pulled it off google but I'm pretty sure it is [or was] in hands of CNY Militaria. Looks like USAF blue backing, as well, making that pretty late to see the China liberation ribbon. A VERY intriguing piece.

Rob

ReverendJake

I pulled it off google but I'm pretty sure it is [or was] in hands of CNY Militaria. Looks like USAF blue backing, as well, making that pretty late to see the China liberation ribbon. A VERY intriguing piece.

Rob

Air Force makes sense, it does seem as though there was a heck of a lot more guys with the USAAF in the CBI area than army guys.

• 2 months later...

This ribbon, bottom right, was listed in this post as a US Military Legion ribbon. It's not like the ubiquitous VFW or American Legion ribbons and could be a head-scratcher. I also can't find anything about a US Military Legion.

post-257-0-52506500-1372270442.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here are the NATO ribbons by the way this site http://www.medals.org.uk/index.htm

is a great reference for ribbons of the wide world

nato007.gif nato004.gif nato005.gif nato006.gif nato011.gifnato012.gifnato013.gif

OSCE Medal ,NATO Medal for the Former Yugoslavia, NATO Medal for Kosovo ,NATO Medal for Macedonia

NATO Medal (Article 5 - Eagle Assist Operation), NATO Medal (Article 5 - Active Endeavour Operation), NATO Medal (Non-Article 5 - Operations in the Balkans)

China Liberation at lower right has been shown a couple times, but the rest of these Chinese awards need to be shown:

post-257-0-69114400-1374431640.jpg

• 1 month later...

This may sound a bit odd but I have tried putting together an identification system by colors and numbers using the EIA color code. Every color has a number from 0-9 and so far it has enabled me to at least number many ribbons/medals. As with any system it has its flaws but then again so do I...

• 2 months later...

I have seen this on some ww2 ribbon bars recently and was wondering if there was a rhyme or reason for it.

One of the most asked about ribbons:

The Unofficial World War I Victory Ribbon:

post-12923-1340107941.jpg

These are variants of the Unofficial WWI Victory Ribbon. This is one of the ribbons that I've seen asked to be identified the most. It's the ribbon to the right of the WWI Victory ribbon in the pictures.

Based on the position of the China Liberation/Occupation ribbon among the foreign ribbons on this rack, does that mean this was awarded by the government of China?

• 2 weeks later...

This is the WWII China Occupation Ribbon. This one pops up every once in a while as well.

attachicon.gifchina.jpg

Col. William Maine Hutson, military adviser to the Nationalist Army during WWII, wearing the China Occupation Ribbon. It may just be the lighting since the ribbons are encased in plastic, but it looks to me like their may be two star devices on the ribbon.

http://www.macarthurmemorial.org/la_william_hutson.asp

post-1761-0-56288600-1386357343.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Received in a recent eBay lot with WWII ribbon racks. Said to have come from a LTC. The 15 years and 20 years medals were sold to someone else.

New York NY National Guard Long & Faithful Service (obsolete) 20 years ribbon (bronze); 30 years ribbon (gold); 15 years medal (bronze); 20 years medal (gold)

This is the New York State (National Guard) Long and Faithful Service Medal. It is the old pattern that goes from a basic medal to a series of devices and finally a neck decoration depending on the years of service. The current pattern of the award starts with a ribbon and a certificate and then expands to a medal with numerous devices.

• 6 months later...

As the topic says..What is this ribbon ?

It looks like the South Dakota National Guard distinguished service ribbon.

...Kat

• 4 months later...

This mystery ribbon was on a USMC uniform that was donated to out VFW post last week. It was a WWII Marine's dress coat. The standard group of ribbons was there... WWII Victory, Amer. Defense, Asiatic campaign, Purple Heart and this thing! It's green and twice the width of a normal ribbon. It has 2 silver stars and 2 bronze OLCs. The attachment pin is the older type without the lock. None of the Marines I showed it to have seen it before. I think it may be a theater made thing??

Well I get a No_outside_hosting message when I try to insert the pics. Apparently it won't work here. :( I'll try something else.

post-8803-0-13716500-1438884892.jpg

• 5 months later...
Shakethetrees

Here are a couple of images of a wavy edge WWI Occupation of Germany Medal ribbon that was worn alongside of a WWI Victory Medal. USN/USMC -pre 1951, 1/2" width.

If memory serves, the WWI Occupation Medal was not authorized until 1941, with the wavy edged ribbon being made available soon after.

Due to wartime shortages it was not struck and issued until after the war.

I can't get to my library right now to lock this down, but I think I'm close, if not right.

post-160253-0-49347700-1452459236.jpg

post-160253-0-37868000-1452459247.jpg

• 1 year later...

Air Force makes sense, it does seem as though there was a heck of a lot more guys with the USAAF in the CBI area than army guys.

Old post I realize, Reverend, but thought I'd add this. I just removed these from my dad's dress uniform jacket yesterday. I'm going to mount them, along with his silver bullion CBI shoulder patch and his leather blood chit.

He was a captain in the army, teaching the Chinese how to shoot howitzers at a base out side of Kunming, China. Circa early '45. I'm not an expert in these but I think he had a couple sewn to his jacket upside down. But this is the order he had them on his uniform.

Scott

post-157467-0-58581400-1484164110.jpg

• 1 year later...

Here are a couple that show up on rare occasion. These are Civil Air Patrol from the WWII time frame. The first is a CAP Encampment ribbon. The second is the first pattern Recruitment ribbon. Later versions have the stripes going vertical instead of at an angle.

Allan

post-151-0-26311300-1535996498.jpg

Here are a couple that show up on rare occasion. These are Civil Air Patrol from the WWII time frame. The first is a CAP Encampment ribbon. The second is the first pattern Recruitment ribbon. Later versions have the stripes going vertical instead of at an angle.

Allan

Not WWII, say early to mid 60's. Also, the ribbon on the right is the Membership Ribbon.

Thanks for the clarification. I find it interesting that the WB ribbons look exactly like the WWII made pieces. I wonder when WB stopped making these types of ribbons?

Allan

Yep, definitely not a P.O.W. ribbon either! I had to pay very steeply for a uniform that I wanted because the man served literally beside another man in my collection. The seller said he was a P.O.W. because of the ribbon (I'd identified him, wasn't in the division's pow book or NARA) but a pile of bidders bought the prisoner story when he was just like a bunch of other GIs that grabbed any old occupation ribbon and went home! Oh well, I reunited two buddies that served inches from each other 73 years ago!

Here are a couple of images of a wavy edge WWI Occupation of Germany Medal ribbon that was worn alongside of a WWI Victory Medal. USN/USMC -pre 1951, 1/2" width.

If memory serves, the WWI Occupation Medal was not authorized until 1941, with the wavy edged ribbon being made available soon after.

Due to wartime shortages it was not struck and issued until after the war.

I can't get to my library right now to lock this down, but I think I'm close, if not right.

Thanks for the clarification. I find it interesting that the WB ribbons look exactly like the WWII made pieces. I wonder when WB stopped making these types of ribbons?

Allan

My guess is sometime in the late 1970s. These designs were really not that popular. The designs were developed by one individual at CAP NHQ and were generally regarded negatively because the ribbons looked like prizes in Cracker Jack boxes. I was a young CAP lieutenant then. I remember that in the right heat, the thin woven ribbons (like the Membership Award) would actually flatten out and fall off the ribbon bar.

BTW, the ribbon bar is upside down and probably means the senior member/officer in question completed Level I training and what was then classified as a "Class A Encampment."

• 7 months later...

Are there any good resources on the order of precedence for the obsolete American awards. I'm most interested in pre-WWI to post-WWI U.S. Navy awards.