The "inner tube" helmet band

29thinfgeek

29thinfgeek

I have a few questions on the inner tube helmet band often used by Marines. First of all, what is it cut from? A tire of some sort? Secondly, why did the Marines start using them? The earliest I have seen Marines using them is on Iwo Jima (picture below), but what was the purpose of it? Last question, in the Vietnam war, the Army used the elastic helmet bands, somewhat like the ones that are still in use, but why did the Marines not use those as well? Because Marines like to be Marines? ;)

Hope someone can help me out with some of the quesions

Frederik

ArchangelDM

Well to my knowledge the marines where the ones that always had to make do, the army was always well supplied. So when the marines didnt have helmet bands , like the army, they as they have always done made do and created there own.

I personally like these better than the G.I issue ones

Hope that helps

D

The Band, Camouflage, Helmet was probably not in the Corps' inventory. If you look closely at photos of USMC covers during the VN War, just as many (possibly more?) had no helmet bands of any description at all, as those that did!

29thinfgeek

Makes sense, it's no lie that they weren't always well equipped... For instance in the picture above, the guy closest to the cameraman is using an army canteen cover.

The classic USMC VN M1 with inner-tube band (the spoon, can opener and "peace" pin are all period originals)

post-8022-0-81814600-1363789125.jpg

Nice setup! So was the band just to keep the cover nice and tight to the helmet?

Yes...but also useful for keeping certain important items (like toilet tissue and smokes) "high 'n' dry" when wading across paddy-fields and to keep things like "bug-juice" within easy reach.

I have a few questions on the inner tube helmet band often used by Marines. First of all, what is it cut from? A tire of some sort? Secondly, why did the Marines start using them? The earliest I have seen Marines using them is on Iwo Jima (picture below), but what was the purpose of it? Last question, in the Vietnam war, the Army used the elastic helmet bands, somewhat like the ones that are still in use, but why did the Marines not use those as well? Because Marines like to be Marines? ;)

Hope someone can help me out with some of the quesions

Frederik

I'm wondering if you are so young that you have never seen a vehicle tire that uses an inner tube? All vehicles,including military vehicles, used tires requiring inner tubes right up until the '60s,at least. A slice cut from a military 16x6.00 inner tube would probably make a perfectly sized helmet band.

29thinfgeek

I am young, but I have seen those. I would just assume that they would have better use for a car tire in a World War, and was wondering if they got them from elsewhere...

I am young, but I have seen those. I would just assume that they would have better use for a car tire in a World War, and was wondering if they got them from elsewhere...

They were common-place and frequently trashed back then. Just think of Charlie's (VC) sandals...made from tire rubber!

RustyCanteen

Funny, I just discussed this topic with another member.

I'm not sure that a 6x16 tube will stretch enough to fit around a helmet, perhaps the ones from the 1940's did; but I suspect they were using truck tubes instead.

USMC-RECON0321

Makes sense, it's no lie that they weren't always well equipped... For instance in the picture above, the guy closest to the cameraman is using an army canteen cover.

It's hard to tell by the picture, but that canteen could also be a USMC issue M1912 highback canteen cover?

Just a thought.

Troy

Funny, I just discussed this topic with another member.

I'm not sure that a 6x16 tube will stretch enough to fit around a helmet, perhaps the ones from the 1940's did; but I suspect they were using truck tubes instead.

I'll have to experiment-I have old 6x16.00 jeep inner tubes laying around, along with some old 9x16 Dodge innertubes. I'll make a few,and see what size works best.

I'll have to experiment-I have old 6x16.00 jeep inner tubes laying around, along with some old 9x16 Dodge innertubes. I'll make a few,and see what size works best.

If they fit, you could make a killing on the forum!!

There is a picture of a Marine wearing one of the Army WW2 issue bands in the Mark Reynosa book. I have some documents somewhere that show the bands were issued with the Westinghouse jungle liner.

With regards to the type used in Vietnam they are readily available from current militaria sites in the UK -in the British Army the wearing of WW2 type helmet nets is now the norm with bands and helmet scrim used to make the helmet look Ally (British Army slang).

RustyCanteen

Yeah, I was discussing Vietnam era bands with another member and suggested some 9x20 (I think that was the stock M35 tube) might be the better fit.

6x16 just seems a bit tight.

RustyCanteen

With regards to the type used in Vietnam they are readily available from current militaria sites in the UK

Just be aware that there are lots of NOS 1968-1969 rolls of the elasticated band webbing available, and many people are assembling new bands.

29thinfgeek

It's hard to tell by the picture, but that canteen could also be a USMC issue M1912 highback canteen cover?

Just a thought.

Troy

Could be, but since there are a bunch of other pictures from Iwo Jima showing Marines using Army M10 covers, I figured it was likely this was just another one

Frederik

Scientifio testing confirms that the 9x16 innertube is too small to make a good helmet band. I couldn't find a jeep tube, so I grabbed a Dodge one. If I really, really stretched it, I might have been able to get it on a helmet I have, but I suspect a 9x20 tube would be the better choice. Too bad I don't have any of those.

edit: Hold the presses! I was standing at the stove, stirring up some Korean delicacy that my wife was cooking, and I started to think a bit more about this- a 9x16 and a 9x20 tube are going to have the same cross-sectional size-just the diameter of the wheel is different. I had cut the tube in a straight radial cut, and the band was too small for the helmet. I went out and cut the tube in a diagonal "baloney" slice, and success! the band fits on the helmet with no problem. I'll take a photo in a little bit,and post it here.

Here's the finished product,cut from the inner tube of a 9x16 Dodge Weapons Carrier inner tube. You can see the too-small band that was "straight cut" from the tube, and several "baloney cut" bands that are sufficiently big enough.

post-9317-0-31916500-1363805539.jpg

I think the fact that it's cut from a Dodge military tire adds a little extra "authenticity"....Know what I mean? ;)

Salvage Sailor

As a reference point, this is mine, unmessed with since I brought it back to the world.

Mitchell Cover 5.jpg