Welson-Davis Suspension

gitana

Found this rarity recently and am surprised at how thick the leather is and how well-built it seems. I know in some of the books it's shown as an integral suspension to a metal helmet, but this one is in the nylon liner. I've seen another one online that someone has with similar markings, so perhaps they were tested together.

post-14792-0-29440900-1363754118.jpg

Very interesting indeed! I'd never heard of or seen this kind of suspension before! I learn something new every day on this forum. Thanks for posting!

I would suspect that it was more expensive than the Army was prepared to pay for, but it is fully adjustable - much moreso than the M-1 liner - and seems comfortable. It dates from around 1970/71.

So, do I take it that the new suspension unit just clips over the attachment points for the regular removable suspension cradle? What's it made of...soft calfskin leather, like sweatbands?

Yes, you can see that it's just stuffed in there right over the nape strap buckles attached at three points. I think that a tool may be required to loosen the two plastic rails. And the leather is soft, but much thicker and durable.

It says something for the practicality of the original M1 suspension that it was retained for the whole of the M1's life...and carried forward to the PASGT helmet...notwithstanding a few changes along the way. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Actually Ian, from what I've been reading a lot of testing done after the war concluded that the suspension of the M-1 was not a success. The whole one-size-fits-all design means that the smaller the head the more the helmet was prone to slip or wobble. Not that the webbing and such was poor, but that it wasn't adjustable and came in only one size. They finally figured that different sizing was necessary to keep the helmet and suspension as close to the head as possible, but of course the steel of WW2 needed 1 inch to deform on impact. So it really wasn't resolved until more recently.

This one certainly looks more stable, but perhaps testing revealed flaws in the design.

post-14792-0-65713200-1363798274.gif

I bet it was really hot for the wearer and likes been said, probably too expensive in the long run.....great experimental liner you have there!.....mike

• 4 years later...

I may have a lead on a Welson-Davis liner like the two pictured in this post... What would be a fair price to pay for one of these?

Thanks