13th Force Recon Company?

Tonomachi

I've seen a number of Force Recon Company and Battalion reproduction patches for sale on eBay over the years but had never seen this design before. I decided to take a chance even thought I had never heard of a 13th Force Recon Company before. I just got it in the mail today and was surprised to see that it has some age to it. It has a merrowed edge but it is the older thinner type without the tail piece. It is about 3 1/2" in diameter. Does anyone know anything about this patch?

post-1389-0-17184200-1363741487.jpg

I didn't think there was such a thing as an original merrowed USMC patch. I thought they were all simply jacket patches.

-Ski

Patchcollector

Hmm,I think that you may have something here.The 3rd Force Recon was temporarily named the 13th!Here is some Wiki info:

Chronology

• 1 July 1960 -Redesignated 1st Reconnaissance Company, USMCR
  • 1 July 1962 -Redesignated 3rd Force Reconnaissance Company.
  • 1 February 1967 – Temporary designated 13th Force Reconnaissance Company
  • April 1967 – Redesignated 3rd Force Reconnaissance Company

So this is a very short lived patch,I would say.

Here is a link to the article,and an image of the insignia,also found on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia....issance_Company

post-13386-0-62612800-1363753073.jpg

Wow many thanks for this information as I guess my gut was right about this being a legitimate patch.

Wow many thanks for this information as I guess my gut was right about this being a legitimate patch.

Can you guys explain to me where on the uniform this would have been worn?

Can you guys explain to me where on the uniform this would have been worn?

These patches weren't authorized wear on dress or field uniforms but were worn on civilian jackets (kind of like the navy cruise jackets), baseball caps or gym bags and the like to show an association with the particular unit. Someone within the unit had to have come up with the initial design and then had to find someone to make it for them and distributed to members of the unit. All of the Force Recon Company and Force Recon Battalion patches have been copied and my guess is that this patch will eventually be copied now that it is on the forum.

These patches weren't authorized wear on dress or field uniforms but were worn on civilian jackets (kind of like the navy cruise jackets), baseball caps or gym bags and the like to show an association with the particular unit. Someone within the unit had to have come up with the initial design and then had to find someone to make it for them and distributed to members of the unit. All of the Force Recon Company and Force Recon Battalion patches have been copied and my guess is that this patch will eventually be copied now that it is on the forum.

That's what I thought. I was confused by the term "legitimate."

-Ski

• 4 months later...

I've seen a number of Force Recon Company and Battalion reproduction patches for sale on eBay over the years but had never seen this design before. I decided to take a chance even thought I had never heard of a 13th Force Recon Company before. I just got it in the mail today and was surprised to see that it has some age to it. It has a merrowed edge but it is the older thinner type without the tail piece. It is about 3 1/2" in diameter. Does anyone know anything about this patch?

I served in 13th Force pror to going to Vietnam. Would you be interested in selling the patch? I have patches for all Units I served in during my 11 tears in the Marines except this one. Would really like to have it. Hope to hear from you..

I served with 13th Force prior to going to Vietnam. Would you be interested in selling this patch ?

I have patches for all Units I served in while in the Marine Corps except this one. I would really love to have it. If you will sell please contact me. I am new to the forum, and not used to navagiting it. You can also contact me at [email protected]

IIRC the 13th was formed in RVN as a FORCE support unit, vice the 1st and 3rd being DIVISIONal. Further, a vet of 3rd Recon told me that it, and possibly the 1st as well, had Forward (RVN) and Rear sections active at the same time, the Rear feeding personnel into the Forward.

Stan,

If you put your cursor over the guys name a drop down menu will appear where you can send that person a message. That way you don't have to post your e-mail address. You can also edit your message here to remove your address if you do it in a certain time. It should show up as edit in the lower right corner of your post.

Regards, Mitch

I served with 13th Force prior to going to Vietnam. Would you be interested in selling this patch ?

I have patches for all Units I served in while in the Marine Corps except this one. I would really love to have it. If you will sell please contact me. I am new to the forum, and not used to navagiting it. You can also contact me at [email protected]

PM sent