USMC Japanese POW Interview Kit

craig_pickrall

Craig,

Thank you for posting this kit mate, I really appreciate the obscure items often overlooked by collectors. Would these kits have been issued in limited numbers to Infantry NCO's at point of capture before handover to MP's and finally INT ?

I use your posts as a MAJOR reference and appreciate all that you do, I have learnt a lot !

Posts like these add to my wish list...don't know if that is good or bad :)

Cheers

Sean

Corpsmancollector

That's definitely an unusual piece, from the Pickrall archives! Thanks for posting Craig...I too have never seen one before. Wonder if there's many others out there in collections or museums? I particularly like the name cards, are they just like a 'business card' or would they have been used to take down notes of interrogations/interviews etc.?

Will

craig_pickrall

I do not know for sure how these kits were issued. My best guess is that they were issued to the Interpreter for use in interviews at the stockade. Note the upper right corner says Division Stockade. The ID card is about the same size as a normal business card. I'm guessing one of these cards was placed in the envelope along with any additional interview notes on the POW. Question number 9 addresses the location of the interview as well. I think there was limited use of interpreters in the field.

Thanks for the nice comments on the kit. It is the only one I have ever seen. I also have not seen one in a book.

Amazing stuff. Thanks a lot for sharing. Man, I'd like something like this in my collection. Can you share where and how you picked it up? And how much $?

craig_pickrall

A friend found it but I don't recall the details. He did not collect USMC items so he gave it to me. I don't think he paid more than $1.00 for it. It was about 30 years ago.

RustyCanteen

Craig, that's very nice! I believe I've seen it posted before.

I would guess this packet dates to late 1944, since it looks like at least one of the interpreters shows up in the muster rolls as undergoing special training in late 1944.

RustyCanteen

Actually, I guess I should rephrase that.

Since the cards show assignment to a MARDIV, it would have been issued in 1945.