Battle of Bunker Hill movie - FINALLY

bunkerhillburning

Philbrick's book (from where the story is derived) is on my "to read" list. If you've not read any of his other works, you're truly missing out. Sea of Glory is one of my favorites. If Afleck keeps to the story and follows the incredible research and narrative, this film can't be anything less than outstanding.

Could be interesting if done correctly. I might be able to get a few thousand for my Brown Bess if the movie is a hit.

I haven't seen Argo yet but across the board it seems everybody thought it was a great film.

I believe Afleck doesn't want to lose the momentum of making another great film.

LF

I haven't seen Argo yet but across the board it seems everybody thought it was a great film.

I believe Afleck doesn't want to lose the momentum of making another great film.

LF

Argo is a great film, and it had me on the edge of my seat through to the end. The scenes of the storming of the US Embassy were a bit hard to take, having lived through that period.

Having said that, with subsequent reading, there were a lot of artistic liberties taken vs. the real story. Even knowing that, I would watch it again.

never underestimate Hollywood's ability to screw up anything, especially if handed to them on a silver plate.

Where to begin... I'd like to think that some come close, such as "We Were Soldiers". But I am sure even that one, good as it was, was subject to some creative history.

The American Revolution unfortunately is the stuff of myth. Film makers seem to be stuck between producing painfully accurate documentaries that are as about as exciting as watching paint dry versus totally off the wall productions like Mel Gibson's "The Patriot". I was ready to buy a copy just to have the privilege of burning it.

(And yes, I realize Mel also made "We Were Soldiers", but he stuck a little bit closer to fact in that one, especially with the actual participants of the Ia Drang campaigns still alive and kicking.)

bunkerhillburning

Well, if they stick to real history the ending of the film is going to be one gory bloodbath. I've no idea how much Afflack had to do with the making of Pearl Harbor but I hope he recalls the howls and laughter of many in regard to the accuracy of that film.

And A far differant take on Argo, the comments at the bottom are just as interesting.

http://www.powerline...ow-argo-won.php

I hadn't read that sort of review of Argo prior to today. I abstained from seeing the film because of my knowledge of how Hollywood skews and taints facts (including the insertion of random commentary into the characters' dialog) that attempt to "educate" the viewers into thinking in a specific manner.

I don't watch films covering modern military events (post Vietnam) due to the Hollywoodization of the actual events. I know too many people who have served in or supported (in some manner) most of the events portrayed in these recent films that are downright enraged at the misrepresentations.

One of my shipmates served in support of Operation Eagle Claw aboard the USS Okinawa as well as with me aboard the Vincennes. He was there for the hostage rescue attempt and with our little fireworks show in '88. We speak often about the way these events are discussed in the press/books or if they are mentioned on screen. The truth is usually far from what the self-proclaimed experts say it is though Hollywood tends to glom onto anything that paints the US with broad brushstrokes of negativity.

I am not looking for Bunker Hill to be a fantasy piece meant to show any particular bent. I'd prefer they focus on the facts about the incredible battle and how close the Revolution came to being shut down at that point.

As far as I can recall, there hasn’t really been an accurate Revolutionary War movie (to my standards, anyway) that I can think of. People expect history movies to be a documentary with correct uniforms, weapons and such. But all films have to truncate the history to a degree to tell a good story.

For example, "Glory" is, in my mind, an excellent film. But it has a lot of errors, as do all historical films. But it didn't stop me from really appreciating it. I hope for something similar with the project being discussed here.

Gil said it best, though. The Revolution is more myth than history. That and the Civil War are probably the least understood conflicts to the general public in regard to the 'reader's digest' versions most people have been spoon-fed their whole lives. I'm willing to accept that if the film is done with good historical accuracy, many of the public won't accept it as the reality of what they think they know of the time period.

I've never heard of this before...

I've managed to only catch portions of the movie (Revolution) when it was making the rounds on the various movie channels years ago. As far as portraying the events of the day through the eyes of a fictitious person, it is decently done. If you're looking to see historical accuracy, quality production and editing...you're not going to see that. It is a good popcorn film.

On Revolution, it's not the greatest of movies, but I generally like it, I guess being a native New Yorker biases me a bit in reguards to this flic, I also am familar too with some of the areas, like the place where the British crossed way behind Washingtons postions to attack him from the rear, is incredibly a stones throw away from were my father grew up, what is today the intersections of Jamaica Avenue, (then called Jamaica Road) and Broadway in East New York/Bushwick Brooklyn, the British travelled up the Kings Highway( it is still called Kings Highway) and went though what is called the Jamaica Pass with the help on a Tavern owner who had his place nearby who was allegedly forced to help.

I will say they did a splended job in choosing the locations for the Brooklyn Battle scenes, I was astonished how utterly similar the terrain looks to my area of Queens. You see as I mentioned several times before in other topics, I live in an area that has lots of Cemeteries, plus a large NYC park, thus they are not obviously built up urban areas, an actual NYC park called Forset Park carries into one of them, Cypress Hills Cemetery, here a Terminal Moraine runs though it, it is a somewhat unbroken spine that starts out in Suffolk County Long Island, here it is broad, as it gets into the Forest Park, Cypress Hills area of Queens in starts to narrow, it continues though to Brooklyn as it starts to break up and start up again, it ends basically in the Prospect Park, Park Slope, Greenwood Cemetery area of Brooklyn, the areas of the major fighting during the Battle of Brooklyn. So in watching the movie I could picture what it would have been looking like, I,m sure there were some minor points, but overall it appeared to be a good resemblance to the area.

• 2 weeks later...

"Revolution" is available on Netflix and I watched it over the weekend. I didn't realize it was as high a budget movie as it was. They filmed it in England, ironically.

From what I've read online about it, the film was an utter disaster which crippled the British film industry for years.

It's a very odd film, where the main character (played by Al Pacino of all people) is ramrodded into being in the war, doesn't care and in the end, is utterly hosed by the new colonial government. I can see why it bombed as bad as it did...

• 1 month later...
willysmb44

Any local Western Washingtonians going to Philbrick's reading, discussion and book signing tonight?

Hadn't heard about this until just reading that. I assume it's in Seattle somewhere? If so, no way I'll make that, darn!

Yeah....he's in Seattle tonight:

SEATTLE, WA | Tuesday, May 21, 2013 | 7:30 PM
Talk / Q&A / Signing
Town Hall Seattle (linked for Google Maps)
1119 8th Ave.
Seattle, WA
Book sales courtesy of Elliott Bay Book Company

• 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...