Info on this D-1 Jacket?

mr_lits

So I acquired this D-1 recently. It is in remarkably great shape (like wearable with care), in my size and painted. Awesome right. Well, I like the jacket but even more I like the mystery:

So the jacket has painted on the front "Smoky Joe" (in gold), with a squadron patch painted right onto the jacket. Also has a repair patch with "ouch" painted on it in the gold. Seems to be missing a patch which was sown in on the left chest too.

The rear has a rendering of a b-17 with "Berlin Buster" above it painted in the same gold. All painted surfaces seem to have an even wear pattern relative to surface location.

Inside the jacket I have the officers number 01095320 with the initials L.E.W. in same green paint lower on the inside.

I have traced the squadron to the 401st Bomb Group 8th AAF 615th Squadron. But can not find any association for the words "Berlin Buster" or "Smoky Joe" to that squadron and am also having a hard time finding an L.E.W among the lists of known crews in the 615th.

The mystery is killing me. I really want to be able to find our more about this jacket and its origins.

Anyone with any info or opinions about the jacket please pipe up. Let me know. Thanks.

post-112555-0-57585300-1363655662.jpg

post-112555-0-21162400-1363655669.jpg

post-112555-0-31177400-1363655676.jpg

post-112555-0-41798100-1363655682.jpg

Johnny Signor

The jacket could have been carried over from another group to this group by a replacement pilot, suggest you try other B-17 units/ Nose art name sites , that may help.

Johnny

I figured the jacket would have had several owners, as they were originally issued to ground crews. As I understand it though, many pilots traded their B-3 in for D-1's because they were lighter and could be fit over an A2. Anyway, it had never even occurred to me that it may have traded off again or shifted by group replacement. I guess all I can do is put together the clues and try to draw conclusions from them. Thanks.

Johnny Signor

Have you tried contacting the current group "reunion" people to see if they have any info on this person/art ?????????????????/

Yup, I was supplied from the group historian a pdf of their missions and combat crews (scans of typed documents). No real solid leads. I think my next step is to look into the serial number from inside the jacket corresponding to the initials L.E.W. and see if I can put them together with the 615th Squadron.

littlebuddy

hi !! just a thought are you sure the "painted names etc" are genuine ??? did the jacket come from a reliable source ?? i dont want to dampen your mood it was just a thought thats all !!! :blush:

LB

Johnny Signor

Yeah , I kind of had that thought too, but actually it does look "period" style/paint................................................

Yeah, I share your skepticism as well and that is why I'm trying to put it all together. The paint does look very similar to other painted jackets of the same vintage and is worn in the places I would expect there to be a lot of contact. All that said, I really am just looking to authenticate using the information at hand. If it is a "gaffe" it is one of the nicer ones I have come across. The seller did not have any provenance to authenticate it, it had come up in an estate sale without any history or background. It was not crazy expensive so I figured it was worth a gamble and some detective work.

On one hand if it is a gaffe, then I have a great jacket I can wear and not feel to bad about it. On the other, it could be a great rare painted piece.

Thanks guys.

Here are some better picts of the paint. I'll let you guys weigh in. Mind you it also has a fresh coat of Pecards on it.

post-112555-0-65669500-1363753581.jpg

post-112555-0-13208100-1363753586.jpg

post-112555-0-36836400-1363753590.jpg

• 1 year later...