Patched OIF/OEF Covers

RedLegGI

Alright guys looking for some specific info on these, as I've come across some recently that I don't know the reason behind it. Most covers you see have dual patches on the left and right side of the helmet, but I've encountered two 4th ID helmets recently that only have one patch on the left side. Seeing as its on the left side and not the 'combat' side, I am wondering if the 'combat' side would have to be earned, just like a combat patch. Also does anyone happen to know if this is a directive from brigade? I saw this on an Kpot with a DCU cover and then on a ACH with a ACU cover so its really odd. From looking at the helmets, they didn't appear to have any ghost patches.

I'm no expert on patched covers but I have some that are patched in the rear, front, one side, and both sides.

The 4th ID ones I have were patched on the left on woodland covers and they were never used in combat. The second ID ones were patched on both sides prior to going to combat. I have some others that look like iron on patches but were done in the front and rear.

I'm no expert on patched covers but I have some that are patched in the rear, front, one side, and both sides.

The 4th ID ones I have were patched on the left on woodland covers and they were never used in combat. The second ID ones were patched on both sides prior to going to combat. I have some others that look like iron on patches but were done in the front and rear.

The one I have in my collection is a 101st and its double-patched and they're both sewn on. I've heard that that these were also hurriedly applied with a hot-glue gun in some circumstances. I found it weird that the both from 4th ID were only on the left side, and it sounds like one of yours is the same way.

Cannot tell you for sure if it was added post deployment or not, but I have followed these from the PASGT w/Three Color up thru the ACH w/UCP and Multicam during deployments through both Iraq and Astan and it seems as a rule they are only on the left side of the cover. If a right one was earned after combat, with so many multiple deployments over the years of the units it would seem doubles would be seen more often I would think. I always thought it was just division policy, but a very good question to find an answer to for sure. I have one - patched left only.

I have several 3ID Woodland/DCU covers that are patched on both sides, I also have a 2nd batt 44th ADA cover patched on both sides. My 4ID cover is only patched on the left hand side like yours. Mine also has velcro on the back side of the patch so it may have been a shoulder patch to start with. Never really gave it any thought. Guess I could ask around next trip to Ft Hood.

I was in 4ID 2005-2007 we started with the Woodland / Desert reversable cover and ended up with the ACU covers. It was a Division standard for the SSI to be sewn to the LEFT side only. I had a small version direct embroiderd on my floppy.

post-1604-0-67614100-1363656649.jpg

I was in 4ID 2005-2007 we started with the Woodland / Desert reversable cover and ended up with the ACU covers. It was a Division standard for the SSI to be sewn to the LEFT side only. I had a small version direct embroiderd on my floppy.

So we have an answer direct from a source. Thanks for the info on this.

The floppy was done in Baghdad 2006 at a small shop by the airport. It has my rank on the front and my name on the back

The floppy was done in Baghdad 2006 at a small shop by the airport. It has my rank on the front and my name on the back

I really need to post pics of mine I had done at FOB Warhorse