US Major's WWII Colt Government Model pistol

varifleman

Here for your enjoyment are a few photos of my Government Model 1911 made in 1921. It came with a 1944-dated Boyt Holster inscribed with the owner's name/rank and serial number (assume it's US Army): Lt/Maj H. Michaels 01039471. It's shown with reproduction box and vintage box of Wincheter 230-grain .45 ACP ammo adapted to the Government Model. Per Colt Archive letter this pistol was 1 of 10 shipped to Schoverling, Daly & Gales NY. NY on February 16, 1921. Are there any on-line resources to trace the service number or WWII officers?

post-6916-0-00137300-1363629991.jpg

post-6916-0-96343300-1363630005.jpg

post-6916-0-99776900-1363630025.jpg

1SG_1st_Cav

Freaking AWESOME find! Now I know what I want for Christmas! ;) You made me day brighten up considerably! Thanks for sharing ~ Danny

• 8 months later...

Do any forum members have any hints about tracking down Major Michael's service record by what I assume is his service number 01039471 (on-line web sites, archives etc)?

I just checked the 1922 Army Register -- no such regular Army officer listed. I wonder if he was Nat'l Guard.

G

I could have sworn Gov't models with "C" serial numbers were commercial guns?

Also look at the lettering on the slide... looks commercial.

-Brian

They are commercial - but guys bought them and used them overseas as well. Just because the gun is a 1921 doesn't mean he didn't buy it later, or get it from his Dad, etc. With an O- number that high, he is a WWII officer, I'd even guess 1943 or later. He also could've kept his holster and picked up a colt 1911 at pawn shop as an older guy, etc for nostalgia sake. Most vets didn't care if it was a Remington Rand, Ithaca, etc...unless they were also a gun collector.

I would also look in the 50's officer registries.....with that high of a S/N, he was probably an Lt in WWII and made Major much later...therefore might be listed.

I could have sworn Gov't models with "C" serial numbers were commercial guns?

Also look at the lettering on the slide... looks commercial.

-Brian

'Government Model' was not military contract (except for some that were "militarized" civilian examples, in the early '40s). Weird, right? US property (in other words, military contract) models were stamped "UNITED STATES PROPERTY" on the frame. Plenty of civilian purchased pistols went overseas with US servicemen in WWII

Nice 'pre-transition' Colt model of 1911, VARifleman. I'm jealous. My 1918 example looks like a turd compared to yours!