My small wing collection

Marc Garlasco

An excellent first illustrated post! You have some fine examples of less commonly seen wings there, especially the short-lived gilded Flight Surgeon wing!

Marc Garlasco

Many thanks gents! I do love aviation items...here is a photo of a dogfight. Hope you enjoy.

Nick

post-112614-0-43969300-1363618892.jpg

Outstanding my firend!! Amazing collection. I joined the forum awhile ago & only read to learn & bought a few items from members as well) super happy to see you wonderful collection!

Greg

Many thanks gents! I do love aviation items...here is a photo of a dogfight. Hope you enjoy.

Nick

post-112614-0-43969300-1363618892.jpg

Great shot and a great idea "dogfight"

Excellent Choices Nick! Well Done! You have a good eye for those wings which hit the eye with a unique design which stand apart, like Amcraft and Gemsco. Well Done and I hope your collecting be wrought with significance to you as you become familiar with the lives of the airmen who wore them and times they had one of the largest and most significant parts in; Aviation burst forth as an unmistakeably decisive factor with a consistent role in war and society from WWII forward, more than ever. Blessings in your Collecting Endeavors!

Marc Garlasco

Thanks gents! My uncle was a B-17 waist gunner so I have a lot of appreciation for the USAAF and the work they did. I will keep posting new wings here as I get them. Happy to find this forum as it seems very deep!

All the best,

Nick

Here's a B-17 waist gunner. Obviously staged, but it gives a good idea of what it was like inside those big warbirds!

post-8022-0-31291000-1363796346.jpg

Marc Garlasco

Any ideas on how best to research him? He was quite a recluse after the war. Here are his vitals:

Sevarin Rodeschini

B: 28 Sep 1921

D: 26 Oct 2001

Drafted: 04 Jun 1942 Manchester, NH

Marc Garlasco

Got the obit today. Any idea on how to figure out which plane he was on?

OBITUARY FOR RODESCHIN, Severin Henry

Severin Henry Rodeschin, 80, of North Charleston, a retired general foreman at the Charleston Naval Shipyard, died Friday in a Charleston hospital. Funeral services will be held at 11:00 a.m. Tuesday in Carolina Memorial Funeral Home. Burial will follow in Carolina Memorial Gardens. Born in New York City, he was the son of Robert SeverinPierce Rodeschin and Louise Goldman Rodeschin. Mr. Rodeschin was an Army Air Corps Veteran of World War II. He began his military service serving as a Waistgunner on B17's, making 25 German raids based out of England. He was shot down/ditched in the English Channel. He returned to the U.S. Mainland in 1943 where he met and married his wife, Earline in 1944. They celebrated their 57th Anniversary last month and spent their retirement years cheerfully traveling the United States, many times accompanied by their grandchildren as they grew up. Mr. Rodeschin received the Purple Heart, The Bronze Star, The Distinguished Flying Cross and The Army Presidential Unit Citation on two occasions. He had a long work history in the automotive field working his way to Shop Foreman before leaving the private sector to work and retire as a General Foreman at the Charleston Naval Shipyard in 1977. He was a member of WBCCI-Airstream Club, The D.A.V. and TheAmerican Legion as well as The Family MotorCoach Association. He was a member of St. John's Catholic Church. Survivors include his wife, Earline Drake Rodeschin; daughters, Donna Rodeschin Filosa of Crofton, Maryland and Denise L. Barlock of Raleigh, NC; sisters, Ruth C. Rodeschin and Irene R. Parmenter both of Charleston, Katherine R. Miller of Northridge, California and Freida R. Bourne of Amherst, Ohio; brothers, William Rodeschin and Severin Henry Rodeschin both of Newport, NH; grandchildren, Devon L. Simmons of Charleston, Wendy Diane Ulatowski of Victor, NY, Stephanie L. Barlock and Michael C. Barlock of Raleigh, NC. He was predeceased in death by a daughter, Diane Louise Rodeschin. The family will receive friends from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday at the funeral home. Memorial contributions may be made to the Arthritis Foundation, 5019 Nations Crossing, Suite 217, Charlotte, NC 28217.

Arrangements by CAROLINA MEMORIAL FUNERAL HOME, 7113 Rivers Avenue, North Charleston, SC.

What you want to find is a copy of the Missing Air Crew Reports (MACR). They are maintained at the National Archives.

http://www.archives....ew-reports.html

You will find the information in these things to be excellent in some cases. They frequently include eye witness reports of what the other planes saw, interviews of the survivors, etc. In fact, a visit to the National Archives to review the paperwork of the different squadrons is really worth the effort. I did some research on a pilot who was shot down and interred in one of the Stalags. The MACR was very extensive and had all sorts of information from the surviving crew (some of who E&E) and the ones who were captured by the Germans and sent to the POW camp.

If you get even more ambitions, each mission flown by the squadron has all sorts of information in it, from a report by the lead pilot, navigator and bombardiers, to the weather, fighter and flak actions, etc.

But, start with the MACR. You can find people who will do a fair amount of research for you for a small fee.

Good luck and please let us know what you find.

Also, many of the 8th and 9th AAF squadrons have very active veteran and reunion groups on line. Check with them, they more than likely have a historian or similar person who will be of use.

http://www.8thafhs.org/ourhistory.htm

http://www.armyairforces.com/

http://www.398th.org/Research/Sources/398th_AFHRA.html

to name a few.

Patrick

Marc Garlasco

Hit the jackpot boys! Here is the info. Some photos and letters from friends of his and a newspaper clipping of his fellow waist gunner. The photo of the guy in the plane is him.

post-112614-0-83959200-1364240297.jpeg

post-112614-0-86952400-1364240298.jpeg

post-112614-0-88728600-1364240299.jpeg