One of the most historic Vietnam pieces I have ever owned

vintageproductions

Great piece of history. Glad you were able to get it for your collection Bob! Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

Matt

to me this is quite simply one of the most somber items i have seen yet. like many other nam vets, becoming a PW was a real concern, as we had considerable knowledge of their treatment. subsequent to the war, i have read quite a bit more about the topic, and have met two of them. i'm reminded here of the courage these men drew upon as they endured, and saddened once again by my personal belief that we knowingly abandoned some of our men alive.

I was trying to think of the right word. Your use of somber fits.

Personally I can't get excited about a piece like this. It would be a bit like owning a concentration camp inmate uniform. THats just my view and not meant to imply someone shouldn't own it in thier collection.

For me, a museum, where it would be a reminder of the horror of war for many to see makes the most sense, as it has no appeal for me at all.

vintageproductions

I hate to argue but it is nothing like owning a piece of Concentration Camp inmate uniforms.

Like I said earlier in this thread the dealer who originally got these sold two to museums (Pensacola and Wright Patterson), I bought the above shown one and one other.

I think they are amazing pieces of history and very tough to find anything related to US POW's from Vietnam.

I hate to argue but it is nothing like owning a piece of Concentration Camp inmate uniforms.

Like I said earlier in this thread the dealer who originally got these sold two to museums (Pensacola and Wright Patterson), I bought the above shown one and one other.

I think they are amazing pieces of history and very tough to find anything related to US POW's from Vietnam.

i hope you didn't think i was being critical, i'm glad you gave me an opportunity to see it.

History Man

Very nice find Bob, a great piece that embodies the life our servicemen faced when captured during VN.

Philip

vintageproductions

I will add the other two pieces that came with this next week.

bunkerhillburning

I will vouch for Bob's source on this one.

I know who he is, where he has travelled and the inside deals he has made. He's responsible for liberating a number of historic items from museums in Vietnam. I've also seen some of the items in his personal collection.

You are quite right to be skeptical of anything coming out of present day Vietnam. But this is not something that came out of the "war market" in Saigon/ HCM City.

I would hope a man like that would eventually write a book about his adventures. I'll bet he has some great stories. I'd sure buy a copy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...