One of the most historic Vietnam pieces I have ever owned

vintageproductions

firefighter

Does anybody know if any ex-pows every brought one of these home with them? If mot this maybe the only one here in the U.S..

Corpsmancollector

Simply amazing, Bob. Thanks for posting sharing this very historic item with us. Couldn't be in a better collection!

Will

vintageproductions

There are at least four in the US that I know of. One at Pensacola and one at Wright Patterson. The person I bought mine from has one more, but he can't find it right now, as I said I would buy it also.

Interesting. See people, provanance, provanance provanace!

Provenance? a letter from a 3rd world museum curator? sorry,,that's not provenance to me,,

you don't think the museum couldn't go out and get some old blankets somewhere and put them on display?

I wouldn't believe it unless I got it from the vet himself,,,I spent too much time in 3rd world countries to trust anything that comes out of

there

not trying to burst anyone's bubble,,,I also find it interesting how the guy has another "but cant find it",,,,its that rare and he lost it?? nice

P-40Warhawk

Provenance? a letter from a 3rd world museum curator? sorry,,that's not provenance to me,,

you don't think the museum couldn't go out and get some old blankets somewhere and put them on display?

I wouldn't believe it unless I got it from the vet himself,,,I spent too much time in 3rd world countries to trust anything that comes out of

there

not trying to burst anyone's bubble,,,I also find it interesting how the guy has another "but cant find it",,,,its that rare and he lost it?? nice

I consider it good provenance.

This is an amazing item, with more history than most pieces of militaria.

As for not being able to find it, some people have rather large collections and things get misplaced. Hasn't it happened to you? :huh:

I consider it good provenance.

This is an amazing item, with more history than most pieces of militaria.

As for not being able to find it, some people have rather large collections and things get misplaced. Hasn't it happened to you? :huh:

Well if you consider a letter from a 3rd world conservator "provenance" then your a dealers dream,,,

If it was me posting this piece,,I don't imagine I would receive this much support for it,,this is what I find amusing

as for losing things,,sure I misplace stuff alot,,but something thats only 4 of in the US? I think I could find it pretty quick

and I'm not saying this with any disrespect intended for Bob or the item,,just making an observation for conversation

vintageproductions

Well as anyone who collects items long enough knows, a great piece either "speaks to you or it doesn't". Plus, knowing the source who sold it to me and respecting him as probably one of the most advanced collectors and dealers in the world, I have no problem accepting his word. This same person has bought and traded with every major museum in the world, and is well know for his integrity.

He has also sold me two fully documented pieces of B-52 wreckage, from Operation Line Backer, that the National Air Force museum wouldn't "pony up" for.

Lastly, since it is in my collection, I'm the only one who has to like it, and right now its one of my prized pieces.

Well as anyone who collects items long enough knows, a great piece either "speaks to you or it doesn't". Plus, knowing the source who sold it to me and respecting him as probably one of the most advanced collectors and dealers in the world, I have no problem accepting his word. This same person has bought and traded with every major museum in the world, and is well know for his integrity.

He has also sold me two fully documented pieces of B-52 wreckage, from Operation Line Backer, that the National Air Force museum wouldn't "pony up" for.

Lastly, since it is in my collection, I'm the only one who has to like it, and right now its one of my prized pieces.

Your 100% correct Bob,,as long as you like it,,thats all that counts,,as for me,,,I need a little more "provenance",,is all I'm saying

And EVERY german helmet comes with a letter stating its 100% real with NO messed with paint job or decal is not repo.

Wish I had not of sold my collection direct from the Vets I got them from.

owen

ah ......

so every german helmet you own is 100% real .?

Yes,actually they are,, especially the one I found in my Grandpas back room when i was a kid,,,

so you wanna talk about provenance?

heh heh sure I can,,,what do you wish to know about it?

email me @ [email protected]

if you want to discuss this further,,we are off topic and I dont want your personal attacks to detract from Bobs post,,this was not my intent

No personal attacks at all ..............just exploring your logic and thought process accessing why you post the way that you seem to do.

owen

I will vouch for Bob's source on this one.

I know who he is, where he has travelled and the inside deals he has made. He's responsible for liberating a number of historic items from museums in Vietnam. I've also seen some of the items in his personal collection.

You are quite right to be skeptical of anything coming out of present day Vietnam. But this is not something that came out of the "war market" in Saigon/ HCM City.

Seen this piece of HISTORY today and was humbled .

Repair holes .

Stains .

Blood .

Makes you think of the suffering and pain the men who were given these flimsy blankets went through .

owen

• 1 month later...

to me this is quite simply one of the most somber items i have seen yet. like many other nam vets, becoming a PW was a real concern, as we had considerable knowledge of their treatment. subsequent to the war, i have read quite a bit more about the topic, and have met two of them. i'm reminded here of the courage these men drew upon as they endured, and saddened once again by my personal belief that we knowingly abandoned some of our men alive.