Which weapons been used in OIF 2003-2004?

Delta-Fox

Hello guys,

i need help my friend and me we both want to reenact the US Infantry OIF between 2003-2004, my question is what type of rifles been used in the Infantry in that time? Are there any special regulations about that?

Please help me!!!

Greetings from Germany

Hello guys,

i need help my friend and me we both want to reenact the US Infantry OIF between 2003-2004, my question is what type of rifles been used in the Infantry in that time? Are there any special regulations about that?

Please help me!!!

Greetings from Germany

Hello and welcome to the board. We have an introductions section where new members tend to post about themselves and what they collect.

I think this link will get you going pretty well:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m16-iraq.htm

Hello and welcome.

You are going to have to pick a specific unit and go from there. Not every unit's task orginaztion was the same between the Light, Mechanized, and Stryker.

Hello and welcome to the board. We have an introductions section where new members tend to post about themselves and what they collect.

I think this link will get you going pretty well:

http://www.globalsec...nd/m16-iraq.htm

Thanks a lot for the info, and i just introduced myself.

Hello and welcome.

You are going to have to pick a specific unit and go from there. Not every unit's task orginaztion was the same between the Light, Mechanized, and Stryker.

Yeah i want to pick a Unit from the Big Red One :) Well i need more infos about a Light Unit in terms of weapons they carried around in the time between 2003-2004 OIF.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I saw the 11B's (infantry) carried the M4 carbine, and everyone else still carried the M16A2. The M4's had the aimpoint M68 optical sight. Sometimes you would see an M16A2 with the same sight on a gooseneck mount but they usually just had the iron sights. I was in OIF2 and the 1st ID had the sector just south of ours. In April of 2004 a lot of our combat power shifted south to help quell the Shia revolt and a lot of 1st ID guys came north to cover our sector, mainly support troops. We did get down to Tikrit on occasion and that was all 1st ID.

The 1st ID wore the normal three color DCU, kevlar helmet, woodland or three color desert IBA, which was pretty much standard for OIF II. They did however wear full color 1st ID patches on their DCU's.

From what I saw the 11B's (infantry) carried the M4 carbine, and everyone else still carried the M16A2. The M4's had the aimpoint M68 optical sight. Sometimes you would see an M16A2 with the same sight on a gooseneck mount but they usually just had the iron sights. I was in OIF2 and the 1st ID had the sector just south of ours. In April of 2004 a lot of our combat power shifted south to help quell the Shia revolt and a lot of 1st ID guys came north to cover our sector, mainly support troops. We did get down to Tikrit on occasion and that was all 1st ID.

The 1st ID wore the normal three color DCU, kevlar helmet, woodland or three color desert IBA, which was pretty much standard for OIF II. They did however wear full color 1st ID patches on their DCU's.

Thanks alot for the info 32sbct!

Im asking because i want to make at least two complete mannequin displays which will show regular soldiers from the 1st Infantry Division in OIF 2003-2004.

Andrew

One thing this thread is lacking, is the mention of the triumphant return of the M14 in this timeframe.

At first they were rack grade M14s, the first few were probably scrounged off navy ships, later as they were found useful the warehouses began to be emptied.

After that they started scoping them and they evolved in the M14 EBR rifles used today with sage stocks.

Before anyone argues with me, here is a grunt using a rack grade WOOD STOCKED M14 in iraq in the 2003/2004 timeframe.

This all came about because the insurgents figured out you could stay out past 300 yards with thier AK's and Mosins and the M4 equipped grunts couldn't respond well.

To carry the mags, someone figured out the 100 round MOLLE SAW pouch perfectly fits five M14 mags. It's almost like someone designed it that way.

iraq%20bunker.jpg

iraq%20mercedes.jpg

iraq%20street.jpg

Fixed pics

M-14s were carried by Squad Designated Marksmen (SDMs) in infantry platoons within the 82d ABN DIV starting with 3rd BDE's deployment to Afghanistan in 2002 & continuing ever since. I managed to get my hands on one in Mosul in 2009 - perks of being a 1SG - when I was the 1SG for HHC 1-36th INF, 1st Armored Division - My XO is behind me w/ his EBR M-14

P1000249.jpg

The "Big Red One" or BRO also had standard weapons for an Infantry Platoon - M-4 Carbines w/ M68s and some with ACOGs; standard M-249 SAWs and M203s (which were fitted to M16A2s only, if I remember); and M240s in the weapons squads

ATFW!

Chris

Mercenary25

One thing this thread is lacking, is the mention of the triumphant return of the M14 in this timeframe.

At first they were rack grade M14s, the first few were probably scrounged off navy ships, later as they were found useful the warehouses began to be emptied.

After that they started scoping them and they evolved in the M14 EBR rifles used today with sage stocks.

Before anyone argues with me, here is a grunt using a rack grade WOOD STOCKED M14 in iraq in the 2003/2004 timeframe.

This all came about because the insurgents figured out you could stay out past 300 yards with thier AK's and Mosins and the M4 equipped grunts couldn't respond well.

To carry the mags, someone figured out the 100 round MOLLE SAW pouch perfectly fits five M14 mags. It's almost like someone designed it that way.

Fixed pics

Very interesting! Could you post a source as well? Thanks for sharing this information!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks a lot BigMoose.

Greetings from Germany,

Andrew

I was stationed in Wuerzburg from 2004-2007... I actually lived in a little town off the B8 called Rottendorf. I worked out of Faulenberg Kaserne for two and a half years (CID) and Leighton Barracks the last seven months with the ETG (European Transformation Group). Great town!

I was in Iraq from 2003-2004. Most of the infantry I ran across used the M16A2 or A4 (flattop). You would see a smattering of M4 Carbines, M249 and M240 machineguns, and the M203 coupled with the M16A2 and M4 Carbine. Occasionally you would see a designated sniper with an M21 (M14 Sniper system).

Another weapon "recalled from retirement" was the M-60 machinegun. There were enough M240s to fill NORMAL, TO&E needs, but not enough to equip roadblocks, guard posts and convoy vehicles and other "auxiliary" uses, so stored M-60s were sent over. I saw pix of Marine Embassy Guards with M-60s, at their stationary posts and mounted on a pickup truck, prob vintage 2003.

The M-60 questions came up at HQ Army Materiel Command in 2001-2002...typically bureaucratic, the CONTROVERSY was that there were THOUSANDs of them awaiting DESTRUCTION and other hundreds of them set aside for foreign military sales. The good news was that the CG unilaterally voided the FMS requirements, then went to do battle with getting the destruction contract cancelled.One outcome was that the destruction contractor would get a "settlement" of money (50%?) for doing no work.

Hi J_Andrews & mpguy80/08,

thanks for that constructive information.

Greets from Germany

Andrew

its always great to see pictures which proof words, thank you guys for the outstanding information.

Andrew

iraq_110.jpg

M4 and M16. Based on other photos, it appeared that they mainly use M16 with RIS hand guard.

The picatinney rails were just coming into the pipeline for the M4 Carbine when we deployed in April 2003... We had them on order, but they never came in until well after the deployment and after I left the unit in July of 2004. That's how bad the backlog was for them. The M4 you see here was what we used (we were MPs), and also the M4/M203 combination.