Damaged TBF Avenger...still airborne!

Sabrejet

While not as drastic as some shown, here is a photo from one of my A-2 groupings. He was hit by groundfire while strafing 262's at a German airfield.

158.jpg

mark leonard

Some great photos ! This is from a squadron history of VT-82 written by squadron members from a group I have....Mark

The toughness of American airplanes of WW2 is legendary. How many time have we seen pics of B-17s and P-47s with severe battle-damage but which still made it home...with, of course, outstanding pilots at the controls who nursed them back. Not to be outdone, here's a USN Avenger with severe damage but still airborne. I don't know if it made it safely back to the carrier, but I sincerely hope it did!

post-6643-0-74712200-1363305890.jpg

Some great photos ! This is from a squadron history of VT-82 written by squadron members from a group I have....Mark

Wow...straight from the horse's mouth! What a remarkable co-incidence. Thanks for adding that to the thread...it helps bring it alive!

Notice the Helldiver's prop is still turning as well.

Yeah...I think the arrestor cable / hook probably tore the tail-section off on landing, moments before the pic was taken.