British Helmet Painted up as WWII US Souvenir Piece

Mr.Jerry

I saw this walking by at the SoS and I thought it was cool ( the "BILL .MILW. WIS." got me) so I flagged the guy down and we made a deal.

1943/44 dated. It looks like it said 110th or 118th S.W.P. ???

any ideas?

Thanks!

Jerry

us-helm1.jpg

us-helm3.jpg

I saw "you" walk by the table I was helping with at the show but I never saw that helmet. That is one very cool looking lid. I love all the names on it and I'm curious why the owner used a Brit lid for this. Was he a Brit? Was he an American who was fighting with Brits? If only it could talk.

The first thing I thought of when I saw S.W.P., was South West Pacific which was a separate theater of war during WWII. http://en.wikipedia....of_World_War_II

South West Pacific would explain the SWP on the helmet, which incidentally looks like a rimless Australian made helmet and not a British one. Since US & Australian troops were mixed together, this would explain the Aussie helmet. This is getting interesting, I may have to drive down to Mr. Jerry's shop and see if it's on the retail rack. ;)

Hey thanks guys!

Yea it was just too cool, when I saw the guy walking by I just wanted to see it, but then he said "are you interested in it?" and I was like heck yeah! Just goes to show it never hurts to ask!