WW2 or later 83rd submarines mystery plaque USN Help?

The Mighty Atom

The Mighty Atom

I think this is the right forum for this question. OK, here's one I could really use help with, an aluminum plaque on mahogany, 83rd what? Sqn, division? Clearly something to do with Submarines. Any help is appreciated.

post-110605-0-94339600-1363224338.jpg

The Mighty Atom

Good one Sigsaye. Very well spotted. You're right, a jaw that cuts moored mine tethers, paravanes and the towing lug. I missed all that. Just by coincidence though, I have the plaque for MinDiv83 and this is it. I'm selling it on ebay right now. From what I understand about US minesweeping, it's done by 4 ship groups, within a division. I can't see there being a Mine Squadron 83, a google search doesn't turn anything like that up. Hmmm.

post-110605-0-73762400-1363239556.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Does the black and red striped flag signify anything?

Yep,

The float’s flag, with black and red horizontal stripes, indicates whether a port or starboard sweep is being conducted.

A black stripe on top indicates a starboard sweep; a red stripe on top indicates a port sweep.

This plaque may be from a NATO minesweeper or squadron.

Good one Sigsaye. Very well spotted. You're right, a jaw that cuts moored mine tethers, paravanes and the towing lug. I missed all that. Just by coincidence though, I have the plaque for MinDiv83 and this is it. I'm selling it on ebay right now. From what I understand about US minesweeping, it's done by 4 ship groups, within a division. I can't see there being a Mine Squadron 83, a google search doesn't turn anything like that up. Hmmm.

It is probably a different design for the same Mine Division 83.

The Mighty Atom

I can't really see a formation changing a badge once they've designed one. They get pretty hung up on that stuff and subsequent badges are often just variations on older ones. Still, never say never.