Decorative stitching on patches

Sandlapper

Good evening fellas, I was wondering if any of you with service coats that have patches sewn on with a decorative style stitch would mind posting some pictures. I have seen a few examples in books with the stitch in a "X" or "V" pattern. I was wondering if this was a common practice during WWII.

thanks!

Thanks a ton Sarge!!! You said it was a favorite past time after the war. So it would not have been terribly common in an "O" or NCO club during the war?

Thanks a ton Sarge!!! You said it was a favorite past time after the war. So it would not have been terribly common in an "O" or NCO club during the war?

It could be encountered in wartime, particularly in a club setting as you mention. This is typically found on liberty clothing (walking out dress) but not always. Much of this stitching was done post-war when soldiers had more time on their hands to do such activities. Of course rear echelon troops also had the time and inclination to have this done on their uniforms.

Constabulary - 7th left sleeve.JPG

Constabulary Off Right sleeve.JPG

It could be encountered in wartime, particularly in a club setting as you mention. This is typically found on liberty clothing (walking out dress) but not always. Much of this stitching was done post-war when soldiers had more time on their hands to do such activities. Of course rear echelon troops also had the time and inclination to have this done on their uniforms.

Thanks a ton!!

Here's my 104th ike with fancy stitching:

005-7.jpg

006-7.jpg

I also have two more uniforms with fancy stitching but don't have any photos. Actually getting another one in the mail soon.

Those are awesome. I have a few Coast Guard tunics that have insignia applied in this manner.

I really like them too, very interesting to see. I thought it would be more common to see on say an officers chocolate tunic because they might have been able to bend regulations more so than an enlisted man! Anyway I love to see the lengths GI's went to for a bit of individuality.

Second is from the same soldiers shirt...They jazzed up the 3rd Army insignia with some V-Stitiching on the interior circle...

post-29885-0-14954200-1363293910.jpg

Here is a war time example. The photo is of my great uncle. It doesn't show well in the scan, but in the original photo you can clearly see the X-stitching on the USAAF patch.

He was KIA in October 1944, so the photo would of course pre-date the end of the war, however I'm unsure of the exact date.

post-29885-0-11725400-1363294397.jpg

Here's a close-up of the stitching

post-29885-0-35687000-1363294423.jpg

Ricardo,

I particularly like your chain work patches. Edging the patches with dog tag chain was also done to make them stand out. One sees fewer uniforms with chain work than with fancy stitching in my experience.