US Army, 8th Infantry Division

8th ID

Johan Willaert

Nice display, Maxime!

Please post in English as that is the official and only language of the USMF.

All of our members should be able to understand what is posted.

The occasional French (or other language) is tolerated especially in welcoming messages, but general posts should be in English.

Veux-tu bien poster uniquement en Anglais car c'est la seule et unique langue de l'USMF.

Tous les membres doivent pouvoir lire et comprendre tous les posts.

De temps en temps tu verras des autres langues utilisees surtout pour acceullir les nouveaux membres mais les posts en general doivent etre ecrit en Anglais.

Cordialement,

Johan

Hello,

Thank you.

Here's a new pin 8th accompanied the 121st crest:

This type of "décor" was often purchased at the PX or one of the many bazaars installed near garrisons. The soldier could also buy souvenirs bearing the emblem of his unit or place of confinement. These gifts were mailed or delivered to the entire family during a perm '..

8thdiv10.jpg

8thdiv11.jpg

8th

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Here's a little new with this nice lot that belonged to a soldier of the 12th Engineer Combat Battalion of the 8th Infantry Division :

sans_t13.jpg

sans_t14.jpg

8th ID

• 1 month later...
New evocation for 8th with this 2nd Lt. pause around Rennes released the day before the August 8 ...
By the way, I'm looking for a pair of binoculars and case :
Since the bagpipe was reassembled and PC USM1 ended before with the 45.
The weather is very rare here, I saw myself obliged to go photograph the model even without binoculars ... :)
dsc01710.jpg
dsc01711.jpg
dsc01712.jpg
dsc01713.jpg
dsc01714.jpg

8th ID

yeah, plus he carried a garand so he wore the rifle belt.

but some nice stuff. Especially the shot of the guys at Pontenezen. That 8th patch on the blue velvet is the classic "Made in France" version from WW1. Some turn up uncut on a sheet of material.

Some great naterial from the best unit in the Army! Yes, Even better than E/506th...

I need to find some time to add updates ot the website.

I started up the whole WW1 identically.

sans_t10.jpg

dsc01817.jpg

dsc01818.jpg

And I'm ready for the memorial day in St James, Normandy

dsc01819.jpg

8th ID

• 1 month later...

Hi,

The soldier Peter A Tevara was PFC 28th IR. Born February 7, 1921 and died November 2, 2005, he is now based in St Joseph Cemetery, 522 Terryville Avenue Bristol, CT 06010 :

newyor12.jpg
t2ec1611.jpg
08310.jpg
GA

Hello,

I plan to make a table with all the insignia of that unit could count the 8th ID (MP, signal co., Cavalry,...).

I start with the collar badges for MP:

"As a platoon, this 136 man unit was too small to be allowed a distinctive unit insignia. Only the MP Branch insignia of crossed pistols would be worn. "

col410.jpg

col610.jpg

"The headquarters staff of the 8th MP Platoon when the unit returned to the States in 1945. Note they wear the division insignia painted on their helmets: there is no evidence so far that this was done before the end of the war. The band around the helmet was yellow indicating they were members of a divisional MP unit. "

mp_8th10.jpg
source: http://www.fatherswar.com/8thinfdiv/WW2/WW2_8th%20MP/ww2_8th%20MP.html

GA

• 2 weeks later...
Garandomatic

Some of my favorite collections on here are from members in Europe that focus on the units that liberated them. An enormous amount of sincerity (not that others' collections aren't) and meaning in that kind of collection.

• 4 months later...

I commend you for putting together such a fine collection. I enjoyed looking at all the artifacts and of course I'm reminded of my uncle who served with G Company, 13th INR. He earned 3 purple hearts among other awards, and survived the war.

Joe