M41 Field Jacket - To restore or not to restore?

FA_MAJ

I'm really torn about this. I have my grandfather's M41 field jacket. It has the ghost of a 97th Division patch on the left sleeve (from when he commanded the 922d FA Bn). It was hard to capture in the pics but is clear in person. I have some of this old patches but none quite match the shape of the ghost. Would you search out a patch to match the shape and stitch it on or would you just leave it alone? I suspect that the 97th was the last patch that he wore on this jacket. He was stripped out of the 97th while they were still stateside and sent overseas to command the 660th FA - and in all of the pictures I have of him during that time he wore an M43 jacket with the VII Corp patch. So, restore the M41 or leave as is?

post-36487-0-81355500-1362949921.jpg

post-36487-0-83738500-1362949932.jpg

On the one hand he took the patch off for a reason-he left the unit, correct? On the other hand, if replacing it with a like patch would help you better honor his service, then you should go ahead. Patches, despite the needle holes, are reversable if you change your mind.

Ghost - Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of him in this jacket but the rank on the shoulders is consistent with his rank when he was with the 97th at Fort Leonard Wood. Capa - good point about the reversability. I think I'll go for it.

If you put the patch on, have it lightly hand stitched, i.e. 'basted' in place. Easy to reverse if you ever want to.

G

TheGrayGhost

Then I would say go for it. The patch is already ghosted, so it's not like you are going to create one. Like Gil said, hand stitch it to minimize the impact. Post pics if you decide to do it.