Just a great story on chivalry....

alktrio06

P-40Warhawk

I recall reading about this in the late 1990s, it was a very good story.

ww2relichunter

wow amazing story i find i wonderful story of hope and friendship from bitter enemy soldiers show sometimes people can but that allside to help their fellow man enemy or not

Garandomatic

My brother and I were just talking about some air war documentaries we were watching when this came up. I'd heard about it before but couldn't remember the men's names. What a story.

I wouldn't say chivalry is dead, we just haven't fought an enemy with any code of honor since WWII

I wouldn't say chivalry is dead, we just haven't fought an enemy with any code of honor since WWII

I agree, chivalry is not dead. Warfare has changed though. The wars that have been fought since WWII have pitted us against enemies that were technologically inferior to us. As a result, they have had to rely on unconventional/ guerrilla tactics to even the field. This is not so different from the American Revolution. I wonder what British contemporaries said about the colonists at the time of the Revolution.

In addition, I believe that chivalry is an act of humanity. Humanity is possible because two combatants feel empathy for each other through a common bond. If a combatant is setting up IED's or shooting hellfires on a screen, is it possible for that empathy to exist? So chivalry or humanity, in my opinion, exists on an individual basis. Case and point would be Nazi Germany. While there were monsters within the government and military, some individuals found it more honorable to do the right thing.

Just my .02