FOUND THESE PICTURES OF SOLDIERS IN UNIFORM ANYBODY KNOW THEM?

firefighter

firefighter

Came across these on the web.

#1 is a MSGT that appears to have a theater made ribbon rack with a MOH ribbon.

Homer_wise_wikipedia.jpg

#2 is a female SFC with a SF combat patch and 3 combat service bars.

182362155_Lwsvb-M.jpg

firefighter

I didn't think there were female SF Operators.Likes look she has a Purple Heart.So is she for real? The flash on the beret isn't even SF, generic Army flash.I also found this,

SPECIAL FORCES OFFICER (18)

The Special Forces officer is the team leader of an operational detachment alpha, a highly trained 12-man team that is deployed in rapid-response situations. The officer organizes the mission, outfits the team and debriefs them on the mission objective.

• Active/Reserve: Active Duty
  • Officer/Enlisted: Officer
  • Restrictions: Closed to Women

Does anybody know who the MOH recipient is? I've never seen a theater made MOH ribbon before.

Rakkasan187

The beret flash and DI would be for her present assignment so it would not reflect special forces. I beleive this SFC was part of a PYSOP unit who are sometimes attached to SF units.

There are a few female Sergeants Major currently attending the Sergeants Major Academy who wear as their former wartime service the Special Forces insignia.

It also appears that there may be another badge just hidden under her lapel abover the Purple Heart. Possibly airborne wings.

Leigh

I didn't think there were female SF Operators.Likes look she has a Purple Heart.So is she for real? The flash on the beret isn't even SF, generic Army flash.I also found this,

SPECIAL FORCES OFFICER (18)

The Special Forces officer is the team leader of an operational detachment alpha, a highly trained 12-man team that is deployed in rapid-response situations. The officer organizes the mission, outfits the team and debriefs them on the mission objective.

• Active/Reserve: Active Duty
  • Officer/Enlisted: Officer
  • Restrictions: Closed to Women

Does anybody know who the MOH recipient is? I've never seen a theater made MOH ribbon before.

We had something similar in my unit. Our supply Sargent had a SF patch on his combat sleeve so one day I asked him about it. He was only attached to them, thus, qualifying for the SF patch which was only a technicality. I understand why he wore it, but for me I have a bit more respect for that patch and wouldn't do so myself without being SF.

BigJohn#3RD

Figherfighter,

SF has a lot of support personnel both in garrison and deployed. Due to the type of war currently being waged against us an insurgency or the buzz word of today "asymmetric warfare" being conducted in theater many support personnel are wounded and killed. From late 2003 on there have been many personnel killed and wounded by mortar and rocket attacks against bases all over the countries of Iraq and Afghanistan even with our great counter fire capability there are enemy that set up rockets on timers and get out of the area before it goes off. So people are being killed and maimed in their racks and chow halls, as well as in convoys and patrol. So weather the SFC was in the rear with the gear at a FOB or on the point of the spear she earned the purple heart. She was in some bad places supporting the folks who go and find, fix and kill or capture the enemies of our way of life. Not trying to be preachy just stating facts that support personnel can wear the SF shoulder patch if they were assigned as a support person to a SF Command in the combat zone, I do not see jump wings or a CAB so I assume she served as an agreemente for a period of at least 30 days to be authorized to wear it.

No idea about the Medal of Honor recipient but I'm sure someone will find out who he is. Thanks for posting the thread.

Regards,

John

#2: IMO, she was attached to a SF unit while deployed prior to 2005. What makes me think this is, 1)lack of red beret (SF assigned support units are airborne) 2) It is very common for Soldiers to wear the SF patch in lieu of their assigned unit patch when authorized both. The new standard was established in AR 670-1, 3 FEB 05 and clarified in ALARACT 055/2007, after the 2005 regulation you could only wear your unit of assignment patch despite who you were OPCON to. Lack of a CAB would also support the timeline of the photo.

Prior to 2005 whole companies would be authorized the SF patch because the unit would be OPCON to a SF element to create cordons or provide support in their operations, never actually being assigned to the unit. During the surge, we were often used to provide support for them as they operated in small elements. By that time the SSI was no longer authorized for OPCON, but I never understood why someone would want to wear another unit's patch.

I never understood why someone would want to wear another unit's patch.

They want the prestige of the SF patch without actually being a part of SF.

As for the 'attachment' patches of other units besides SF, if you're under them then you're authorized to wear it. So even though its not 'your' patch, it technically still is. I've heard tales of guys downrange coming home with 8-9 different authorized combat patches.

FYI: The time period for a SSI-FWTS was eliminated by the 2005 regulation. Land in Kuwait and you are now qualified for your patch and campaign medal.

They want the prestige of the SF patch without actually being a part of SF.

As for the 'attachment' patches of other units besides SF, if you're under them then you're authorized to wear it. So even though its not 'your' patch, it technically still is. I've heard tales of guys downrange coming home with 8-9 different authorized combat patches.

I understand the philosophy of the prestige, but I guess I am just more proud of my own unit and accomplishments.

Yes, prior to 2005 it was very common to be authorized several patches. During my 1st tour, my company worked for no less than a dozen different commands. Had it been under the previous rules, we would have been authorized patches for each. There was a lot of units in theater and we were moved all over the place.

What is intriguing is whether she has a Bronze star and airborne wings hidden by her lapel. I think I see a hint of red. A SFC, attached to SF, PH, assumedly 18 month tour-I would think she would have received a BSM for her service.

firefighter

Thank you for all the comments.I'm not saying she didn't deserve a PH, if she was wounded she deserves it.I just thought some things looked a little out of place.The SF insignia on the blue & star flash, never seen that combination before and on a black beret not green.

What is intriguing is whether she has a Bronze star and airborne wings hidden by her lapel. I think I see a hint of red. A SFC, attached to SF, PH, assumedly 18 month tour-I would think she would have received a BSM for her service.

Anymore most BSM's are tour awards which is really sad. All of the platoon sergeant's and above got BSM's. Our 1SG went outside the wire to go to FOB Warhorse when he needed something and maybe on 3 missions total. If anything they should get the same blanket award everyone got which was the ARCOM. It's really a huge shame that the current mentality on this is that these are 'deserved' because you're a certain rank.

Thank you for all the comments.I'm not saying she didn't deserve a PH, if she was wounded she deserves it.I just thought some things looked a little out of place.The SF insignia on the blue & star flash, never seen that combination before and on a black beret not green.

She's not wearing the SF DUI on her beret flash.

Anymore most BSM's are tour awards which is really sad. All of the platoon sergeant's and above got BSM's. Our 1SG went outside the wire to go to FOB Warhorse when he needed something and maybe on 3 missions total. If anything they should get the same blanket award everyone got which was the ARCOM. It's really a huge shame that the current mentality on this is that these are 'deserved' because you're a certain rank.

Awards have been awarded according to echelon of responsibility and what is going on during the current war. It also depends on the command. I saw three different ways tour awards were done while I was in Iraq. 07-08 was a rough tour and everyone from the weapons squad leader (would have been the acting PSG when needed) up received a BSM for service. 09-10 was a little more political and only select CDR/1SG and higher command elements received BSM. 2011 was very political and only the CSM/BN CDR received a BSM. It is the same reason you will see a commander receive a Silver Star for commanding his troops from the front, despite the fact he may not have been clearing the trench himself, at his level to even put himself at the front the military looks at that as valorous.

In your example, the command probably thought going out a few times exceeded his job and that he led his troops. A service BSM does not take away from one with a "V" any day.

My son did a 15 month surge tour in Afghanistan as a medic with the 173rd in 2007-2008. When he was at COP Zerok they were attacked and he was running to check on the status of the guys in a guard tower when he was blown off of the tower ladder by an incoming RPG round and knocked out. The COP lieutenant put him in for a BSM but the CSM turned it down as "just doing his job". So the Herd was relatively stingy.

My bad.It looked like it to me.Do you know what it is?

Not a clue, but the white rope she's wearing could be an indicator of the unit she's serving in.

Not a clue, but the white rope she's wearing could be an indicator of the unit she's serving in.

That White Rope is a German Army (Bundesheer) Marksmanship Lanyard, a foreign award

My son did a 15 month surge tour in Afghanistan as a medic with the 173rd in 2007-2008. When he was at COP Zerok they were attacked and he was running to check on the status of the guys in a guard tower when he was blown off of the tower ladder by an incoming RPG round and knocked out. The COP lieutenant put him in for a BSM but the CSM turned it down as "just doing his job". So the Herd was relatively stingy.

That would drive me nuts to know a guy like that doesn't 'qualify' for it. I think its a part of the ongoing criticism of our current wars where service members are expected to be some superhuman being, to get these awards for valor. Only recently did we start to see living service members receive the MoH because there for a while, only the deceased could get it and I don't think it was for lack of above and beyond type activities.

The Schutzenschnur is actually silver for all grades..the shield worn on it is in Gold, silver, or bronze, depending on what skill level you attained....normally the top portion is pinned closer to the end of the epaulet rather then close to the collar so you can see the shield itself...

Mark sends

Some of you people are confusing INDIVIDUAL assignments/attachments and awards with UNIT stuff.

If a soldier is ATTACHED (and not ASSIGNED on permanent orders) to such-and-such a unit that has an SSI, then that SSI is properly their Former Wartime Overseas patch. No matter in the SSI is for UNIT that is Abn, SF, Ranger, armored -- or even (lately) USMC.

Does an Army guy wearing a 2nd MarDiv patch have to have been a MARINE?

For some 20 years or more, SF Groups have had many non-SFQC and even non-Airborne INDIVIDUALS in ASSIGNED status.

Essentially, SF gave up trying to fill each and every SUPPORT billet with INDIVIDUALs qualified in those additional skill identifiers/career fields. They were glad to have such people aboard, to allow the "REAL SFers" to devote themselves to "hard skills" and/or assigned to ODAs.

Part of this has had INDIVIDUALs airborne-qual but not SF-qual wear MAROON berets. Individuals not (even) abn-qual wear a black beret -- with the appropriate flash. In some units, an abn-qual individual in a billet not designated as Abn are told to wear black, not maroon; even when told this, they often ignore it and wear the maroon.

firefighter

Some of you people are confusing INDIVIDUAL assignments/attachments and awards with UNIT stuff.

If a soldier is ATTACHED (and not ASSIGNED on permanent orders) to such-and-such a unit that has an SSI, then that SSI is properly their Former Wartime Overseas patch. No matter in the SSI is for UNIT that is Abn, SF, Ranger, armored -- or even (lately) USMC.

Does an Army guy wearing a 2nd MarDiv patch have to have been a MARINE?

For some 20 years or more, SF Groups have had many non-SFQC and even non-Airborne INDIVIDUALS in ASSIGNED status.

Essentially, SF gave up trying to fill each and every SUPPORT billet with INDIVIDUALs qualified in those additional skill identifiers/career fields. They were glad to have such people aboard, to allow the "REAL SFers" to devote themselves to "hard skills" and/or assigned to ODAs.

Part of this has had INDIVIDUALs airborne-qual but not SF-qual wear MAROON berets. Individuals not (even) abn-qual wear a black beret -- with the appropriate flash. In some units, an abn-qual individual in a billet not designated as Abn are told to wear black, not maroon; even when told this, they often ignore it and wear the maroon.

Thank you for the information.Very informative.

Contrary to popular belief, the only beret that is directly related to an individual qualification is the green one.

Maroon berets are worn by all personnel assigned to units designated as "Airborne" (101st doesn't count, despite its historical name, sorry). You don't need to be authorized to wear the "parachutist badge" (i.e. "airborne wings") to wear the red beret, you only need to be assigned to a unit that is authorized to wear it. Same goes for jump boots with the class A (now ASU) uniform. They are unit items, not individual items.

Believe it or not, non-airborne personnel (otherwise known as "legs"), get assigned to Airborne units ALL THE TIME. Lots of factors can cause this. Some of these "legs" are then sent to Airborne school after arriving at the unit, some are not. Again, lots of factors affecting this. Believe it or not, being able to do your job (or even just filling an other wise hard to fill position) is sometimes more important than being able to jump from an aircraft while in flight. Even though they rarely admit it in polite company, even the 82nd Airborne Division experiences this situation from time to time.

Same goes for the tan (Ranger) beret. Its a unit thing, and not everyone in the unit has completed Ranger school and earned the Ranger tab (although in theory everyone in those units who has not earned the tab is working towards going to the school some time in the future).

Vance