Help with Patch ID

gamsdivision1944

gamsdivision1944

Hi,

This patch came with a large grouping to a WWII 510th Fighter Squadron pilot. It is similar to the standard 510 patch in that it has a Wolf with his tongue hanging out, but obviously quite different in every other way. Can anyone help with an ID for it?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Kind regards

Rick

post-21314-0-00859000-1362851182.jpg

gamsdivision1944

thanks for the response. It does seem like it might be recon with the eyyyeeesss :) That patch looks a bit too different, don't you think? It has definitely been on a jacket at some point as there are still remains of the thread.

Rick

Patchcollector

Yes it is different,the way I worded it was not right.I should have said that the patch uses a wolfs head too :lol: I'm just putting out a path,hoping it leads to the ID! :)

Patchcollector

Anyways when Johnny comes on,he'll nail it in one second,so I'm just wasting my time anyway! :D

firefighter

303rd Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron out of Sembach AB, West Germany.

Great ID.I was going to say it didn't look WW2 with the helmet the wolf was wearing.They were only around for 6yrs, '53-'59.Nice looking patch.

Patchcollector

For some reason I was thinking Strategic Recon,and RB-29's,but so much for my ID,it's a great patch no matter what the ID! :lol:

gamsdivision1944

Thanks for the feedback. What would a post-Korea patch like this sell for? I am a bit out of my zone on this one.

Thanks!

Rick

I will confirm the patch is the 303rd Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron which was assigned alomg with the 302nd Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron operating RF-84's at Sembach AB. While Sembach while was a good base for B/RB-57's and the RB-66's, it was not good preformance match for the RF-84's and the scheduled assignment of the RF101 and the 302d & 303d Tactical Reconnaissance Squadrons were relocated to Laon AB, France within 6 months. With the arrival of the 17th,18th, 30th and 32d Tactical Reconnaissance Squadrons with the RF101C Voodoo's in May 1959, the RF-84's were withdrawn and the 302d & 303d Tactical Reconnaissance Squadrons were inactivated in Jun 1959.

Terry L Horstead TSgt USAF Retired 66th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing