11th airbourne album

R Michael

Hello All for those that saw my thread in the recent finds forum well here is the Album. There are a number of photos missing but still there are 260 left in the album. I can tell that most of the missing have been missing for a good while so the fear of cherry picking is not a factor in this one. I have come accross a roster for the 511th for 1943 and some of the ID'd gents are not in the Div. at that time. The photos all date from 44' at camp Polk thru Dec. 45' in Yokohama, Japan. I do not have a name for the trooper but have emailed the seller to see if she can remember the name of the estate auction where it was acquired.

Well any way here are a few scans to get me going. I will post a good number more as there good jump photos, even a color one, good glider photos, etc.

The three Fellows are from left to right Lt. ogdahl, Capt. Lee, Lt. Lowery. and written on back is Co. A

The other is a fellow with a glider badge and has "my home" but I don't think this is my guy as he doesn't look like the fellow later Id'd as "me"

post-1387-1205362026.jpg

post-1387-1205362036.jpg

two more for now.

the one showing card play states from left to rigth "malin, dixon, mcCarty. poker enroute to camp stoneman at San Francisco" on the back it is labeld enroute to camp polk wiht the same names.

the other is labled " New Guinea bound 1944"

post-1387-1205363093.jpg

post-1387-1205363106.jpg

two more for now
Wow, I can't wait to see the rest! thumbsup.gif I would be happy with just one photo, let alone 260!

There must be Alfred Hitchcock's gradation of the tension. ;):D

A few more from his time on New Guinea and glider training. I have done some reading and learned that the 187th at least did glider training and went thru jump school. So My guy could either be in the 511th or more likely the 187th

post-1387-1205458430.jpg

post-1387-1205458457.jpg

post-1387-1205458467.jpg

No problem Jeff! I know how you feel as I have more on the spectator side than not when it comes to this type of album. Thanks and am so glad you are enjoying!

Mike

this next set are photos taken while in jump scholl on New Guinea.

Wow.... please don't mind the drool. :)

- Jeff

post-1387-1205463337.jpg

post-1387-1205463348.jpg

post-1387-1205463362.jpg

Fantastic! Thank you very much. thumbsup.gif

Topless glider pilots without doubts indicate that it must be 11th Abn. In Europe temperature gradient makes 0° C in glider cockpit very quickly and flight cloth is needed.

Best regards

Greg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
craig_pickrall

What a great find! Wondeful pics, many thanks for posting them.

When I saw the plane exit pic in post # 10 I thought of this one from LIFE Magazine dated JAN 17, 1944. It looks like the same area and might be from the same jump.

post-5-1208534764.jpg

post-5-1208534770.jpg

Wonderful pictures!!! Great that you are showing them in order too!!! Years ago, I worked with a fellow that was in the 11th AB. He always told us that he had taken off and jumped from an airplane three times in his life, but had never been in an airplane when it had landed back on the ground. Thanks!!!

Craig, I agree, it DOES look like the same area. Looking at the photos in the album these jump traiing shots may have been form the photographer for the article and gave out to the troops?

Mike

P.S. gladd you guys like'em! I do have more if interested.

What a great find! Wondeful pics, many thanks for posting them.

When I saw the plane exit pic in post # 10 I thought of this one from LIFE Magazine dated JAN 17, 1944. It looks like the same area and might be from the same jump.

post-5-1208534764.jpg

post-5-1208534770.jpg