Vietnam Era 187th Inf. Rakkasan Helmet! Un-Messed with!

USMC-RECON0321

USMC-RECON0321

Hello,

I’m going to post the new additions to my collection in several posts, but first I would like to give credit where credit is due and give thanks to Sgt Durango (Mike) and 1canpara (Rick) for connecting me to 3 of the lids I will post.

Starting first with this one that Mike put me on to;

This is a very hard to come by Un-messed with Vietnam war era, 187th Infantry Regt. 3rd Brigade, 101st Airborne Div. Iron Rakkasans Helmet. This helmet is very salty and obviously been together from it’s beginning, just the way I like them! It has the Moss paint with the Rakkasans insignia painted on both sides (Hard to see) Most the moss paint has chipped off the top of the helmet. I don’t have any direct connection for this helmet to service in Vietnam or a vet name, but it has sure seen plenty of use and abuse from wherever it has been??

Brief Unit History

Assigned to 101st Airborne Div. during the Vietnam war. The Iron Rakkasans fought in twelve major campaigns and distinguished itself by earning two Valorous Unit Awards, and its third and fourth Presidential Unit Citations for the battles of Trang Bang and Dong Ap Bia Mountain (commonly known as "Hamburger Hill"). The Iron Rakkasans emerged from the Vietnam War as the country’s most highly decorated airborne battalion.

Would love to see any other Rakkasan helmets or pics if you have them to add.

Thanks

Troy

post-33000-0-89216100-1362779935.jpg

post-33000-0-31811800-1362779951.jpg

post-33000-0-79913300-1362779969.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

Thanks Mike and good luck with your attempts at the one you have your eyes on! If you can post a pic of yours and the other one if he wouldn't mind.

Thanks again

Troy

USMC-RECON0321

Very cool helmet, that looks like a thick coat of paint!

Yes, I have two other helmets with what I've been told on here is called "moss paint" A style of paint tried for a short time in the military.

Thanks

Troy

Hey Troy, heres a few pics of the one i have with same mossy finish and another 187th para liner also.....sure would love to get them together for a family photo!.....mike

post-350-0-85043400-1362934248.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

Mike,

Thanks for posting the pics! Love the 187th liner!! Any research or ideas on the different color markings? Looks like mine is yellow, yours is orange or red and the other is blue? It's also interesting that our helmets both have that odd Moss paint texture but the 3rd does not?

Well, bring it to the SOS next year and we can do a photo Op!

Troy

• 8 years later...