Unknown Chevron

mikeb

I recently acquired this item, along with some Army and Marine Corps pieces. At first glance, it appears to be a Private First Class chevron. However, it is smaller than it should be for a rank chevron. It is made of a gold lace sewn to a scarlet felt backing. The 7/16th-inch stripe measures 3 inches, overall width. and the overall height is 2-5/8th- inch overall. I checked the 1922 U.R.'s, but it only authorixes a wound chevron. I didn,t find any description of the actual piece. I would appreciate it, if anyone could shed some light on this item.

post-4431-0-82649700-1362776312.jpg

It's USMC PFC post 1954. You will find slight size variations in these. This type was used till replaced in 1992 by the currently used merrowed edge type. It is NOT a WWI wound chevron.

Are you sure Lee, this Pfc strip looks like it's an applique type, the post 1954 types were embroidered. mikeb, is that Gold stripe applique? meaning it has been applyed to the cloth as a separate piece by sewing it down

As a compairison I found the Green on Red embroidered types from this era.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRIVATE-FIRST-CLASS-US-MARINE-CORPS-SERVICE-DRESS-CHEVRONS-PAIR-/151002313820?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232870745c

Are you sure Lee, this Pfc strip looks like it's an applique type, the post 1954 types were embroidered. mikeb, is that Gold stripe applique? meaning it has been applyed to the cloth as a separate piece by sewing it down

As a compairison I found the Green on Red embroidered types from this era.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item232870745c

Sorry about that. It is the appliqued type. However, I compared it to several Marine Corps women's chevrons I have and it is much larger than either the pre-1956 and the post-1956 chevrons. Women's chevrons are 5/16th-inch wide while this one is 7/16th-inch wide. I have included a comparison of the two chevrons.

post-4431-0-46963600-1362810225.jpg