The mother of all oil leaks!

Sabrejet

There's no doubt that the P-47 was a tough ol' bird. This one was hit by flak over Italy but still made it home! Obviously, to say the pilot's vision was impaired somewhat would be an understatement! :o

post-8022-0-82498800-1362750428.jpg

Wonder what the poor soldier who had to clean THAT up afterwards was thinking when he first saw it... Or what he did to get made to be the one to have to do the job!

Wonder what the poor soldier who had to clean THAT up afterwards was thinking when he first saw it... Or what he did to get made to be the one to have to do the job!

Rather him than me! I'm not sure what the total oil capacity of a P-47 was, but it was certainly measured in gallons!

AAF_Collection

Reminds me of a BSA I once had.

Graham

Good one Graham! with both British bikes and older Land Rovers you know you're in trouble when the oil leaks stop!.

Matt.

I'm not sure what the total oil capacity of a P-47 was, but it was certainly measured in gallons!

"28.6 U.S. gal capacity" and that's just for tank attached to the engines - there were also external oil coolers so those and the oil lines would add to that.

Well as they say "if there's no oil on it, there's no oil in it", Talked to a Jug pilot that had the same problem, during a dogfight with a FW

P-40Warhawk

It's too bad we don't have more of the story.

A sticky situation indeed.

P-40Warhawk

The man himself!

And the only oil on him looks like it came from getting out of it.

When the brown rain hits it's time to find an airfield!

While flying back from a fishing trip in Tenn.it hit.The pilot,a 40 year veteran,as calm as could be says."Find me a field"Spotted one ,fast dive from about 9,000ft,landed,lost about 2qts. Bad push rod seal.Put 2 in and flew on home,still leaking.

Pilot,Platoon Sgt.August Garleff,G. Canal veteran,flying sergeant program,dock chief,A&E,O'hare Airport,(P-51,F-84,F-86),Missile Man(Nike)Motorpool Sgt.Illinois National guard.Quite the character.

Bob

He must have landed virtually blind?! At the very best he just might have been able to look around the side with the canopy open? An object lesson in instrument flying! :o

Johnny Signor

The P-47 that has all the oil on it is from the 350th Fighter Group,and has the 347th Squadron emblem on it's nose .

Johnny

SergeantMajorGray

once the oil got all over the canopy he probably opened it and flew like that home hopefully it didn't happen while it was open that would suck.

firefighter

"Pilots joked that P-47s ran best when most of the oil stayed inside the engine. Ltn Edwin King of the 350th Fighter Group came home to Pisa, Italy, the hard way and found that a jug can go for at least a short time, with hardly any oil at all. An oil line was hit during a strafing mission near Brizsua on the planes 110th combat mission. King most probably attempted his hair-raising, no-forward-visability landing by landing in formation with a wingman" National Archives/Army Air Forces

"...freakish hit through the propellor blade of a P-47D. If it had been damaged a fraction of an inch in either direction, the blade would have no doubt come apart....Edwin Wright was the 19 year old pilot" National Achives/Army Air Force

4290150988_1285716fbf_z.jpg4290150988_1285716fbf_z.jpg

And the only oil on him looks like it came from getting out of it.

Actually, if you look at the pilots arms, you can see that they are soaked with oil, from flying with the canopy open.

The only way to land in that situation, is to roll the canopy back and look out the sides.

You can slip the airplane back and forth to see around the nose while lining up and then

look at an angle forward to judge your height.

It is very challenging to say the least, but something you actually do train for, as it is a very real possibility,

ie, blowing a prop seal in a P51. Oil streams back over the nose and canopy and you can't see s**t.

As a pilot, I only have a couple of training hops in a P51, but I was backseat in one, when we had to

do the exact above proceedure. Massive oil leak, luckily over the airport. We pumped all 21 gallons of oil

overboard in a couple of minutes and the engine ceased on roll-out.

My hat is off to the pilot of that Jug, what a great job!

Also to P&W for building a great engine.

I am sure he didn't have to buy any drinks that night!!!

Best, John

Q-tips and Goo-Off is all he needed :D