USN Airship Squadron patch ZX-11

Garth Thompson

Garth Thompson

Here is another SOS pickup a squadron patch for Airship Development Patrol Squadron Eleven. I have been looking for a USN airship patch for a long time.

post-83-0-10151600-1362696359.jpg

Patchcollector

That is one COOL patch. :o I too,have wanted to have an original Airship Squadron patch in my collection,but have never found one! :dry: Since the Squadron was disestablished around 1957 or 58,the sub could well be a 50's model.

Here is a link I found to a cool website about the Squadron:

http://www.vpnavy.com/zx11_history.html

Patchcollector

Here is a photo,and story showing an Airship and a sub together.I found this on the website that I provided the link to in my prior post.

post-13386-0-19154900-1362848533.jpg

Patchcollector

I don't want to change the track of this thread,but I looked up Guppy type subs online,and the only one I found that had a superstructure like the one on the patch,was a WW2 type one!Now I'm not an expert on subs,so I don't know if the one on the patch is a Guppy type or not.Here is a photo I found of a WW2 era Guppy type sub.All the other ones' I found of the Guppy type showed the cleaner,flat superstructure that came after the war.

Here is a link to the site I got the photo from.

http://adjunct.diodon349.com/us_subs/dbf_photos/guppy_submarines_internal_photos_dbf.htm

post-13386-0-19748500-1362849505.jpg

Garth Thompson

Here is a photo,and story showing an Airship and a sub together.I found this on the website that I provided the link to in my prior post.

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting it and the sub picture.

Garth