Air Medal tricks on E-Bay

1944Ike

A Air Medal named to a Harry B. Emigh was sold on E-Bay a few weeks ago....it has reappeared as a Navy Air Medal with an attached Star. Seller: medal_mulisha_store

Yuo can't tell from the previous auctions photo, but it's possible the new seller found a pin hole in the drape and repatriated a period star? Just giving him the benefit of the doubt, although he should have included this information in his listing, if so...

Oh wait, looking at the old auction, it appears this was once a slot brooch....the photos in the original auction aren't the best and it was hard to tell...

He changed the presentation case, as well...

History Man

I have never purchased anything from this seller but can say most of his auctions didnt give me the "warm and fuzzies."

Philip

Doing a cursory search, I found a listing on Find A Grave for a Harry B Emigh who is buried in Arlington. WW2 and Korea service and appears to have been a Colonel in the US ARMY. Here is the picture of his marker:

Emigh.jpg

Pretty low to have changed the brooch and case too...not to mention the insult to Col. Emigh's service to this country as well.

Kevin

IMHO this sellers items are overpriced and several of them are likely put together or flat out fake.

Text from CURRENT Ebay ad...

--ORIGINAL NEAR MINT WORLD WAR II UNITED STATES NAVY AIR MEDAL, FULL WRAPPED BROOCH, W/ LARGE 2ND CITATION BRONZE STAR ATTACHMENT, LAPEL PIN, W/ ORIGINAL NAVY SINGLE LINE CASE.

Text from PREVIOUS Ebay Ad...

You are looking at a WW2 Air Medal with lapel Pin

slot Brooch named EMIGH, Harry B.

Very nice collectible piece in good condition.

It's magic...from a slot brooch to a full wrap brooch in the blink of an Ebay ad. My guess is the entire brooch and ribbon were changed at some point.

firefighter

Not sure if this is the same person that bought it unless he/she has a partner.The original buyer has a feedback of 1514 and the sellers feedback number is 150.But it is a perfect match to the original one sold.

Not sure if this is the same person that bought it unless he/she has a partner.The original buyer has a feedback of 1514 and the sellers feedback number is 150.But it is a perfect match to the original one sold.

The current seller, Medal_Mulisha_Store, is the original buyer. Screenshot of feedback they left to Your-Consignments (original seller).

Looks like they have two Ebay accounts, under similar names, hence the discrepancy in feedback count...

post-29885-0-80953600-1362691645.jpg

firefighter

Ok, I e-mailed the seller.I attached the original $40 medal listing with this question.

Hello,

Is this the same medal? Looks like you bought it for $40 and switched the ribbon and asking for an extra $130

This is the sellers response.

Hello and thanks for contacting me, Yes it the same medal, with a replaced original period ribbon brooch. I buy and sell on eBay. I might be asking that much but it has not sold and I always accept less than my asking price. That's my business to buy low and sell high. I don't have many sellers I purchase from e-mailing me asking me questions so please feel free to to express your intentions other than confirming it is the same medal. Have a great day !

- medal_mulisha_store

Here is my new question.

Well I guess my questions would be why replace the medal with a different brooch, rarer, and one with a Star to make it look like a second award of the Air Medal and lastly why would you not put this in your item description.I'm all for making money but more in keeping the memories of these men and women honest.If I were to try to research this individual I would think I have false information because he was only awarded one Air Medal not two.In my opinion this seems dishonest.The original ribbon was more than acceptable and would rather have that than a 'made up' one.I have no problems expressing my intentions. You have a nice day also!

Ok, I e-mailed the seller.I attached the original $40 medal listing with this question.

Hello,

Is this the same medal? Looks like you bought it for $40 and switched the ribbon and asking for an extra $130

This is the sellers response.

Hello and thanks for contacting me, Yes it the same medal, with a replaced original period ribbon brooch. I buy and sell on eBay. I might be asking that much but it has not sold and I always accept less than my asking price. That's my business to buy low and sell high. I don't have many sellers I purchase from e-mailing me asking me questions so please feel free to to express your intentions other than confirming it is the same medal. Have a great day !

- medal_mulisha_store

Here is my new question.

Well I guess my questions would be why replace the medal with a different brooch, rarer, and one with a Star to make it look like a second award of the Air Medal and lastly why would you not put this in your item description.I'm all for making money but more in keeping the memories of these men and women honest.If I were to try to research this individual I would think I have false information because he was only awarded one Air Medal not two.In my opinion this seems dishonest.The original ribbon was more than acceptable and would rather have that than a 'made up' one.I have no problems expressing my intentions. You have a nice day also!

Good job, firefighter!

I, too, sent a message to the seller including the original Ebay auction and also the link to the Harry B. Emigh Find-a-Grave site. I haven't heard back from him.

The thing that galls me is that he completely misrepresents Emigh's service and dishonors him by doing so. I know that the Harry B. Emigh in that Find-a-Grave entry may not be the one on the Air Medal, but that name is not exactly common. And we know the original AM was of the AAF/US Army variety and NOT a US Navy AM. At the very least, what he has done is outright fraud.

If nothing else, the seller now knows others are watching. Which probably won't bother him at all if the AM sells, unfortunately.

Kevin

Edit: Just heard back from him and his reply was: Thanks for the info I will remove the listing and list it correctly. I appreciate the info.

Just checked the link and the auction is now listed as "Ended"...wonder where or how this Air Medal will show up next???

History Man

Is it me or does exposing these dishonest people on ebay almost seem like a long, never ending game of "whack a mole?"

Sadly, most of the time ebay doesnt seem to care about people selling fake items or dishonestly representing items like this, as long as they get their percentage they seem perfectly okay with it happening.

Philip

firefighter

I just looked and the seller ended the auction, 'This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available.'

firefighter

I'm bidding on his Humanitarian Service medal with full wrap brooch.

It has got to be rare.

Do you have a pic or item number.I didn't see it.Th Humanitarian Svc Medal was created in 1977 so I doubt very much it would have slot brooch let a lone a wrapped one.Would love to see a picture. :dry:

To think I nearly purchased this Air Medal this Colonel appears very interresting, but I was put of by the fact he was saying it was Navy and the Star on the ribbon.

Kerry

From his listing:

All of the Medals, Badges, and Insignia in my eBay store are authentic to the time period listed, "I DO NOT" sell current issue items or reproductions "AS" Genuine items, that is a far to common problem on eBay.

As the buyer you are making a investment on an Authentic period Item that will accumulate value whether you display it or give as a gift. I guarantee your satisfaction or I will refund your money and pay return shipping! Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you!

Gotta love the calling out of other eBay frauds to cover his own.

It is not buying low and selling high if you are selling period fakes.

• 2 weeks later...

This AM has surfaced again and this time in it has been returned to the correct configuration. Note also that he's posted a photo of the grave marker that I sent him with the listing this time. At least it's not being passed off as a Navy AM this time around...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-US-ARMY-COLONEL-NAMED-AIR-MEDAL-SLOT-BROOCH-RIBBON-LAPEL-CASED-UV-NEG-WW2-/261188798193

• 2 years later...

I cleaned it up and hid the new posts as there were no new reported activities. ..Thanks for everyone being civil when recognizing this...