What is the best war book you have ever read?

Popo367

Mine are;

Blossoms on the wind (human legacies of the Kamakaze)

Soldat

Cornielus Ryan's books

900 days

rendezvous with destiny

as well as the all too many to name.

Ohh as for ficton WEB Griffin "the corp" series is a good read

• 2 months later...

For the 29th Infantry division fans in the ETO (order of preference):

"The clay pigeons of Saint-Lo" by GLOVER S Johns.

"Other Clay" by CAWTON R Charles.

"Etched in Purple" by IRGANG J Frank.

For the 9th Infantry division fan, MTO & ETO.

"Crack and thump" by Barry Basden & Charles Scheffel.

You won't be disapointed by these great books. :thumbsup:

*A very good book is "Waging Peace" by Rob Schultheis.

It is about the 425th Civil Affairs Bn in OIF. Good read if you are interested in Civil Affairs,Unconventional Warfare,Foreign Internal Defense,OIF or about little-known Airborne units. I am not sure,but think it is out of print,so if you can find it,hold on to it,it may be worth $$$$ some day:)

**I am currently looking for "Civil Affairs: Soldiers became Governers" by Albert J. Weinberg, Book 1 and Book 2. If anyone has these,and want to sell them,or even if you want to lend them to me to read,or,I can trade for some WWII/VN/OEF-OIF books I have,would be great. These also are out of print. I can find them,but not in hardback,on used book sites;if they are for me,and bought I would prefer hardback.

Let me know what you think of "Waging Peace" if anyone has read it.

"Spearheaders: A Personal History of Darby's Rangers" by James Altieri was an out of print book lent to me by a fellow collector (later my H.S. social studies teacher) while I was still in middle school. I remember it being a good first hand account of the original Rangers. I believe the 1958 movie "Darby's Rangers" was based on it.

Of the books I read recently "With The Old Breed" by E.B. Sledge and the follow up "China Marine" is the most realistic portrayal of the brutal war in the Pacific, the aftermath and affect on the soldiers who fought there that I've read. It doesn't pull any punches or try to glorify any of it, it just tells what it was like to be there.

Oh and I can't forget "Avenging Eagles, Forbidden Tales of the 101st Airborne" by Mark Bando. These are stories told to him in countless interviews with veterans going back to the 60's, but these are the stories that you probably won't hear elsewhere, but many are similar to stories I overheard myself growing up, with the disclaimer "That's something you won't read about in the history books."

I'm reading : Tonight we die as men by Ian Gardner (UK)

It's the story of 3d btln 506 PIR. The book is composed with testimonies from many veterans, telling their personal stories about D-day and D-day+...

There is also a dvd about it : The forgotten Battalion. I reccomend this set to everybody who is interested in 101 Airborne on D-day.

It's sad to know i'm almost finished with reading :crying:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The top 4 off the top of my head. Great books

" With the Old Breed " Sledge

" Currahee " Burgett

" Band of Brothers " Ambrose

" And no birds sang " Mowat

"The War Prayer" by Mark Twain hands down.

"The Thin Red Line", "Slaughter House Five" and "The Things They Carried" tying for second.

-Josh

Bloody clash at Sadzot - William B Breuer

Chickenhawk by Robert Mason

Nam: The Vietnam War in the Words of the Men and Women Who Fought There by Mark Baker

Bloods: Black Veterans of the Vietnam War: An Oral History by Wallace Terry

CHARLIE COMPANY WHAT VIETNAM DID TO US by Peter Goldman

Citizen Soldiers - Stephen Ambrose

• 2 weeks later...
The top 4 off the top of my head. Great books

" With the Old Breed " Sledge

" Currahee " Burgett

" Band of Brothers " Ambrose

" And no birds sang " Mowat

And I would have to add FLYBOYS and CHICKENHAWK. I also thought THE LONG ROAD TO WAR was pretty good.

A few from my early favorite list:

They Were Expendable, by William L. White

The War Lover, by John Hersey

The Sand Pebbles, by Richard McKenna

• 1 month later...

Revolutionary War: Rebels And Redcoats: The American Revolution Through The Eyes Of Those That Fought And Lived It - by George F. Scheer & Hugh Rankin

Civil War: Red Badge of Courage - by Stephen Crane

WWI: Sgt. York: His Life, Legend & Legacy: The Remarkable Untold Story of Sgt. Alvin C. York - by John Perry

WWII: The Longest Day - by Cornelius Ryan (just watched the movie again last night)

• 1 month later...

I agree, Jeff. "The Forgotten Soldier" by Sajer is probably my favorite.

Other favoroites are: "About Face" by Colonel David Hackworth

"The Gulag Archipeligo" by Alexander Solzhenitzyn

"Goodbye Darkness" by William Manchester

"Panzer Commander" by Hans Von Luck

• 3 weeks later...

A few of my favorites

"We have met the Enemy", by Richard Dillion. The story of Oliver Hazard Perry and the battle of Lake Erie

"Apache Days and After" by Thomas Cruse. The Apache wars

"Forty Miles a Day on Beans and Hay" by Don Rickey. The frontier Army

"1776" by David McCullough

"The Civil War" by Shelby Foote

"The Red Soldier" by Frank Emery. The Zulu war based on first person accounts of the British soldiers

And the BEST war book "The Washing of the Spears" by Donald Morris. The Definitive account of the Zulu Wars

• 2 weeks later...
A few of my favorites

"We have met the Enemy", by Richard Dillion. The story of Oliver Hazard Perry and the battle of Lake Erie

"Apache Days and After" by Thomas Cruse. The Apache wars

"Forty Miles a Day on Beans and Hay" by Don Rickey. The frontier Army

"1776" by David McCullough

"The Civil War" by Shelby Foote

"The Red Soldier" by Frank Emery. The Zulu war based on first person accounts of the British soldiers

And the BEST war book "The Washing of the Spears" by Donald Morris. The Definitive account of the Zulu Wars

Wow, I thought I was the only guy who has read "Washing of the Spears," great book, awesome title. You might also enjoy "Pamwe Chete" The legend of the Selous Scouts of Rhodesia by Lt-Colonel R.F. Reid -Daly. It is a hard core South Afrikan "must read."

BILL THE PATCH

THE FILTY THIRTEEN, TO HELL AND BACK, THE DEVILS WEAR BAGGYPANTS., PLUS ABOPUT FIFTY OR SO MORE I CAN EASILEY PUT ON THE LIST

Wow, I thought I was the only guy who has read "Washing of the Spears," great book, awesome title. You might also enjoy "Pamwe Chete" The legend of the Selous Scouts of Rhodesia by Lt-Colonel R.F. Reid -Daly. It is a hard core South Afrikan "must read."

Thanks Marr,

I will look up that book.

Hard to believe Washing of the Spears not more well known.

Here are a few other relating to South Africa

389514797.jpg

Garandomatic

I'll second this nomination. Book was amazing, and no doubt a large part of why I have almost 20 WWII navy uniforms since reading it a little over a year ago.

I would like to recommend The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors. This book gives a very detailed look at the Battle of Leyte Gulf. Tells the actual survivors stories of the ships that sank and the thinkings of the Japanese commanders. God bless the sailors of the USS Samuel B. Roberts, USS Johnston, USS Hoel, USS St Lo, and the USS Gambier Bay.