What is the best war book you have ever read?

Popo367

For you armored guys...

Death Traps

The Survival of an American Armored Division in World War II

by Belton Y Cooper

Foreword by Stephen Ambrose

$16 at Barnes and Noble bookstore

324 pages including 10 pages of b/w photos

softcover

From the back jacket:

"In a down to earth style, Death Traps tells the compelling story of one man's assignment to the famous 3rd Armored Division that spearheaded the American advance from Normandy into Germany. Cooper served as an ordnance officer with the forward elements and was responsible for co-ordinating the recovery and repair of damaged American tanks. This was a dangerous job that often required him to travel alone through enemy territory, and teh author recalls his service with pride...[readers] will be left with an indelible impression of the importance of the support troops and how dependent combat forces were on them."

Stephen Ambrose wrote in part:

"[Cooper] saw more of the war than most junior officers and he writes about it better than almost anyone. His stories are vivid, enlightening, full of life - and of pain, sorrow, horror and triumph."

I've only read about one-half of the book so far but I can report I am enjoying the story immensely.

Just wanted to get some ideas on some books to read. I like to read and want to collect books for my 2 boys (9,5).

I am reading a book called "God have mercy on us!," it is about the 97th Co, 6th Marines. I just got it today and I have only read a few pages, but the book it pretty witty.

There is no information about the author and it doesn't mention if he was part of the 6th Marines.

author: William T Scanlon

Hey,

I dont have a favorite war book(because i've read so many great ones). But i can tell you to read some of stephen e. ambrose books. they are great. also, try reading the ww2 and vietnam war diaries, they are great too.

• 3 weeks later...
Six Silent Men by Gary Linderer, Kenn Miller, and Reynel Martinez

My Dad was working on his installment to "Six Silent Men". It was basically going to be a prequel since he served before Rey Martinez in the 1/101 LRRP when the 1st Bde first went to Vietnam in '65.

I spoke to Gary Linderer on the phone about the book a few days after my Father passed away 21 JULY 08.

Not to mention, my Dad's story is in the book "Phantom Warriors", Book 2, Pages 177 - 187 (approx).

Norman Mailer's Naked and the Dead is a weird book but very kewl. It's a novel but he served in the Pacific so its pretty close to a personal narrative.

Eddie Rickenbacker's Fighting the Flying Circus, the Lakeside Classics edition that used his story and not the ghost written story printed in 1926. Also his autobiography.

Anything Stephen Ambrose wrote.

BTW, I have tons of audio book mp3s including several of ambrose's audio books, if anyone wants to trade.

John

FightenIrish35

Id have to say the WW2 Book written by Ernie Pyles,I think it is called Heres your war or something like that very good,A Classic thumbsup.gif

Winston Churchill's 6 volumes on WWII... a biased point of view, no doubt. But still, a very detailed viewpoint from those who fought the longest part of that war virtually all by themselves.

All my favorites have already been mentioned except THUNDER BELOW by Admiral Flukey. He was a submarine Captain and awarded the CMH in WWII. Dave

Hey Guys,

I read "Band of Brothers" by Stephen Ambrose long before the miniseries and it became so popular...but its still a great book. So is Ambrose's "D-Day" and "Citizen Soldiers." Also read "Parachute Infantry" by David Webster for more 506th AB history. In addition, I liked "River Swift And Deadly" by Lee Smith regarding the Rapido River crossing and "Flags of Our Fathers" is great too.

For a very intersting look at the Polish soldier's plight read "An Army In Exile" by Wladyslaw Anders.

And for the other side's point of view "Panzer Commander" by Hans von Luck is an excellent book.

Thanks

Vic

I would probably have to say that With the Old Breed by E.B. Sledge has been the best war book I have read. I have always enjoyed Stephen Ambrose and Cornelius Ryan's writings as well.

dogfacedsoldier

I can think of several off hand. Normandy to the Battle of the Bulge (26th Div.), To Hell and Back (My uncle is mentioned in the book, as he was a member of Murphy's squad), Raid by Maj. Abe Baum, Visions from a foxhole by William Foley Jr., Death Traps by Belton Y. Cooper, Hour of Redemption (6th Rangers' Raid), With the Old Breed by E.B. Sledge, and some others whose titles escapes me at the moment.

Jon

• 1 month later...
Meyer & Peters - "On the Ground - The Secret War in Vietnam"

I am reading "On the Ground" right now - about 50 pages to go and I don't want it to end, this one goes FAST.

My God, those guys had balls as big as churchbells. A couple of Americans and a handful of indigenous soldiers with the resources to take out hundreds of NVA. Sure would hate to be on the business end of a "prairie fire emergency". . .

If you haven't read it, this link will give you a taste - http://www.macvsog.org/never_on_sunday.htm

I know you can usually buy a copy, and get it signed by Meyer, at the West Coast show and other Vintage Productions events. I bought mine at SOS last year, and had it signed by Peters at the table.

If I had to sum it up in one word, it would have to be: "badass".

post-1751-1225305905.jpg

CATCH-22 by Joseph Heller. Yes it is a novel. He also served as a bombadier in the USAAF. Some of the best black (satire) humor ever written.

I have two favorites, and I cannot recommend them highly enough!

1. Raid! The untold story of Patton's Raid on Hammelburg. By Richard Baron, and Major Abe Baum (Baum was the Task Force commander) This story is rarely covered in any of Patton's bio's, including his best bio, by Carlo D'este who only gave about a paragraph to it. The Patton movie skipped it entirely. This is an absolutely amazing, heartbreaking and inspiring narrative. You will love it!

2. Once an Eagle by Anton Myrer. While totally fiction, it is tremendous! It was even required reading for West Point cadets, and is currently on the Marine Corps Cammandant's Reading List. While very thick, it is more than worth the time.

I rarely read any book more than once, but these two I have read at least three times, and if I were to be stuck on a deserted island and could choose only two books to have, these would be the ones! I know you'll LOVE them.

Thanks,

G

Over the last year I have read several excellent books both fiction and non fiction.

as for non-fiction I read the entire Corps Series by WEB Griffin. Very gripping and before I finished one I made sure I had then next one so as not to go through withdrawl.

Another was called The Three Day road, by Joseph Boyden. This is the story of 2 Canadian WWI vets returing to their Cree Reservation after the war. A bit of mysticisim involved but interesting none the least.

Recent WWII reads:

Given Up for Dead by Bill Sloan the story of Wake Island absolutely AWOSOME. Also Brotherhood of Heros (Marines on Pelieu). He also has on on Okanawa but havent read it yet.

Sledge's book With the Old Breed was great.

My Helmet for my Pillow by Robert Leckie, almost as good as Seldge's book.

The Ghost Mountain boys the story of the 32nd Div and the battle of New Guinea, by James Campbell.

Viet Nam

A Year in a Life by James Ebert, very good account of all aspects of a Grunts life during a Tour in Viet Nam. From induction to shipping out to combat and going home.

I reccomend all of these books and really value this thread in my search for others.

Thanks guys

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to recommend The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors. This book gives a very detailed look at the Battle of Leyte Gulf. Tells the actual survivors stories of the ships that sank and the thinkings of the Japanese commanders. God bless the sailors of the USS Samuel B. Roberts, USS Johnston, USS Hoel, USS St Lo, and the USS Gambier Bay.

A Rumor Of War by Philip Caputo great Vietnam book and Battling Buzzards by Gerald Astor because my cousin is in it and Battle Cry by Leon Uris

• 2 weeks later...

Like several have mentioned:

Secret Commando's by Jon Plaster

First In Gary C. Schroen

Marine Sniper Charles Henderson

• 3 weeks later...

Michael Herr's "Dispatches" - one of my all-time favourites, even based my MA thesis on it :)

John McAfee's "Slow Walk in a Sad Rain"

"The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien

Gustav Hasford's "The Short Timers" - the book that "Full Metal Jacket" was based on. WAAAAY better than the movie.

78th Collector

For WW2, I have really enjoyed Goodbye, Darkness: A Memoir of the Pacific War by William Manchester which was already mentioned but I think American Caesar: Douglas MacArthur, 1880-1964, by Manchester, is a great novel as well.

For the Civil War, you can't beat Shelby Foote's three volume work.

And not mentioned yet for Vietnam is A Bright Shining Lie: John Paul Vann and America in Vietnam (1988) by Neil Sheehan.

I can go on and on, but these are some of my favorites. w00t.gif

The Flame Keepers, by Ned Handy.

I like any books about life as a POW.

you would probably like Five Years to Freedom: The True Story of a Vietnam POW by James N. Rowe . very moving story.........

I pounded throught "Hamburger Hill" Zariffni in like 5 days it really is an excelent book. It move very quicly, I think that if I reread it I would be able to put it all togeather a bit. Like the Wake Island book I mentioned before I actually went out and found a map of the area to mark as I went along.

Mike

Military Historian
Hi All !

I was wondering if anyone out there has ever heard about or read "The devils of D-Day'.

It is a very old book and I have been trying to locate it for years.

Thanks in advance .

owen.

Are you refering to the novel about demons and the occult aiding the Normandy Breakout by Graham Masterson published in 1978?

Bob C.