M-1803 Harpers Ferry Flint Lock Rifle

hawk3370

This is a weapon a lot of collectors are not familiar with. In 1803 Harpers made a smaller rifle to equip a Rifle Regiment. It was so popular that Lewis and Clark equipped their expedition with this weapon. Between 1803 and 1807 4023 were made. Because it was so successful on the expedition and liked so much by the riflemen a request was made to equip two more rifle regiments during the war of 1812 with this weapon. Between 1814 and 1820 and additional 15,703 were made. This particular model has a 36" half octagon and half round barrel in 54 Cal. A walnut half stock with steel tipped ramrod. No provision for a bayonet was made. Markings on the side plate is "Harpers Ferry over 1815 and before the hammer an eagle with US. Unfortunately this particular weapon has been re-converted from percussion back to flint lock. Still a nice piece.

post-6022-0-66418700-1362617805.jpg

post-6022-0-18499600-1362617836.jpg

post-6022-0-33556900-1362617864.jpg

Fantastic rifle! I was in an 1812 rifle regiment reenacting group and we had the reproduction version of these. Your original is just beautiful!

You have some rare and interesting rifles. I have a number of CW rifles, but Martial flintlocks like yours are in a whole different league. I have a Navy Arms repop of your M 1803. I think it is the best looking American military arm ever.

You have some rare and interesting rifles. I have a number of CW rifles, but Martial flintlocks like yours are in a whole different league. I have a Navy Arms repop of your M 1803. I think it is the best looking American military arm ever.

You and Beast are of the same opinion as I am. I feel that the M-1803 Harpers Ferry Flintlock Rifle is the best looking and most practical of all the flints up until they converted to percussion in the 1840's. The rest of the field are extremely large and heavy and considering most soldiers were very small during that period I am surprised they managed to march the great distance and fight with those monsters.

Terry

Special rifle and I echo the comments of the beauty and grace of the rifle. It is also from a craftsmanship opinion the best looking rifle Uncle Sam made. It was also made during what is known as the Golden Age of the Long Rifle.

the '03 Harpers Ferry was one of the finest military guns produced. Forerunner of the half-stock. There is though in some circles some question if this was really the rifle of Lewis and Clarks Corps of Discovery. Great gun..

Nice looker, I had found one in an antique shop many years ago that also had been converted to precussion as yours had. Bought it with the intention of converting it back but I was offered a good profit so I sold it. Always kind of regretted selling it and didn't convert it back, but hey, a profit is a profit especially back when money was tight when you were raising a family. Ray