A Request from the "Ranks and Rates" Moderator

cwnorma

All,

I would like to begin putting together some reference materials here in the Ranks and Rates section on the development of Officer's pin-on (spinner and clutch back too) rank insignia.

As some of the more experienced collectors here know, even though the basic rank structure has remained fairly static since the Civil War, there has been a distinct evolution over the years of the actual insignia itself. Furthermore, certain esoteric details such as pin types, clasps, spinners, clutches, etc can help date rank insignia.

So I am asking you, the good members of this forum, to help me by posting photographs of your variations of metal insignia. I am as interested in the backs, as I am the fronts, and photographs of hallmarks and fasteners will go a long way to help in our shared goal of a more educated militaria community.

The more we know, the harder it is for the fakers.

v/r, and thanks!

Chris

CHRIS: "Greetings & Salutations!" Here are some Second World War insignia from the civilians who wore their brass with the Army Transportation Corps branch insignia atop metal rank insignia, They wore a navy officer's uniform, but were part of the Army's fleet. Rudy Basurto of Altamonte Springs, Florida write several books on merchant marfines, as well as A.T.S.,, H.B.S., etc. insignia, I drew the artwork for several of those books as a matter of fact. I have a lot of ranks and rates yet to show here and enjoy sharing what I have so as to add to the knowledge here. Rudy served in the U.S. Maritime Service all through World War Two until the Korean War when the Arfmy of the United States took him and other merchant seamen and drafted them to the U.S. Army, he later was in the California Army National Guard, then the California State Military Reserve while working in the Federal Prison System as a guard and worked his way to assistant warden in Lompoc, California. Rudy kinows so much about the subject, they even buy his books for the U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Maritime Academy, etc. think.gif Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ([email protected])

All,

I would like to begin putting together some reference materials here in the Ranks and Rates section on the development of Officer's pin-on (spinner and clutch back too) rank insignia.

As some of the more experienced collectors here know, even though the basic rank structure has remained fairly static since the Civil War, there has been a distinct evolution over the years of the actual insignia itself. Furthermore, certain esoteric details such as pin types, clasps, spinners, clutches, etc can help date rank insignia.

So I am asking you, the good members of this forum, to help me by posting photographs of your variations of metal insignia. I am as interested in the backs, as I am the fronts, and photographs of hallmarks and fasteners will go a long way to help in our shared goal of a more educated militaria community.

The more we know, the harder it is for the fakers.

v/r, and thanks!

Chris

post-837-1205387729.jpg