"False Embroidered" Officer's Rank

cwnorma

At top are what I believe, are WW-I Col eagles. they are quite a bit larger than the standard blouse-sized Eagles. Bottm is a pair of H-H market Capt rank.

post-1107-1206054047.jpg

post-1107-1206054075.jpg

Here are a pair of H-H marked shirt-sized Capt rank. They have a rather unusual locking device, one often found on 20s nursing pins and such.

post-1107-1206054237.jpg

Here's a whole handful of mostly blouse-sized Capt pairs. All of them are sterling with "C" clasps but none have a mfg mark on them. There are twelve matched sets and two loose singles.

I think this is probably enough for now.

post-1107-1206054392.jpg

Here's one last one. It's sort of an example of how NOT to take care of your faux embroidered rank insignia. This LtCol pair have been polished to within an inch of their lives. :blink:

post-1107-1206054751.jpg

While digging out the coffin-style rank, I came across this pair ot faux embroidered rank that I couldn't find earlier. These look almost identical to the pair Craig posted above. These are shirt-sized and they have the same markings on the nuts as the ones Craig posted.

post-1107-1206057744.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Was there no rank of 2nd Lieutenant before World War I?

No

The butter bar did not enter use until around 1917. Before that you were the guy in the Officer's uniform with no rank insignia.

post-5772-1237497912.jpg

Screw back 2LT for the shirt collar.

T-Bone

No

The butter bar did not enter use until around 1917. Before that you were the guy in the Officer's uniform with no rank insignia.