"False Embroidered" Officer's Rank

cwnorma

Also interesting is how late they did False Embroidered Generals insignia. First up is a 1935-1940 AMCRAFT with the "snowflake" pattern

post-96-1205363206.jpg

back

Also interesting is how late they did False Embroidered Generals insignia. First up is a 1935-1940 AMCRAFT with the "snowflake" pattern

post-96-1205363229.jpg

"GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS!" Take a look at this stubby First Lieutenant false embroidered bar. :rolleyes: Sarge Booker

post-837-1205385951.jpg

craig_pickrall

Is there a way to distinguish between US military insignia and that used by civilian police and fire departments?

Is there a way to distinguish between US military insignia and that used by civilian police and fire departments?

Typically, police "officer" (supervisor) rank insignia is gold for what would normally be silver in the military. So, gold false embroidery (or full size) Captain's bars or Colonel's eagles would almost certainly be police issue. In many departments accouterments are silver (white metal) for Policemen (Police Officer rank nowadays) and gold for Detectives or supervisors beginning with Sergeant. Most fire departments use trumpets to designate rank instead of bars. So, a FD captain might have two or three trumpets depending upon how rank is distinguished in that department.

Sometimes it is difficult to tell military from police rank insignia because there is no difference. I hope this is helpful.

craig_pickrall

MAJ GEN

I have had this OS cap for approximately 25 years. I still can't figure out if it is a put together or real. It is an officer grade cap but has the enlisted infantry piping rather than that of a General Officer. It does have a nice set of sewn on stars in any case.

post-5-1205515912.jpg

post-5-1205515919.jpg

post-5-1205515926.jpg

I think that all Army and Air Force Maj and LtCol insignia are faux embroidered, even today but here are a couple of my vintage ones. At top are a pair that are possibly WW-I or 20s as they haved "C" clasps. The bottom pait are Gaunts.

post-1107-1206053690.jpg

post-1107-1206053704.jpg