USMC Distinguished Marksman comp mug............

Hi,

not sure if these are hard to find but I liked it and thought it would look nice with my current USMC awards and badges.

I'd like to know if these mugs were given to competitors, or were they sold as a souviner during the match?

USMCmugpage_zpsde74920b.jpg

I'll be buying a Distinguished Marksman award to go with it very soon!

cheers,

-John

Thanks for the quick replies, it only cost $13.95, I guess in a hundred years it will be really valuable! :)

It's already over 20 years old, but 1992 seems like yesterday!

If it was presented to competitors it makes it much more interesting/special to me.

-John

Interesting that it is unchanged in design from the one I have from 15 years earlier. I'll try to dig it up and take a photo.

Thanks 12A54,

that would be great to see, did you do o/k in the comp? Looks like the interservice matches started in 1961.

cheers,

-John

ww2relichunter

Hmm interesting find i dont think they have much value as of today but im sure some day they will be worth a boat load but cool piece

Thanks 12A54,

that would be great to see, did you do o/k in the comp? Looks like the interservice matches started in 1961.

cheers,

-John

Well, it was a big comp and I was just 17 years old.... But I sure thought the mug was pretty cool. I looked for it this afternoon and can't find it. Perhaps my wife thinned out my mug collection when I wasn't looking.

Well, it was a big comp and I was just 17 years old.... But I sure thought the mug was pretty cool. I looked for it this afternoon and can't find it. Perhaps my wife thinned out my mug collection when I wasn't looking.

12A54,

17 years old in 1977, that's my vintage, I was shoolting in 7.62 long range comps in Melbourne, Australia in 1977 as an 18 year old and loved it.

Each saturday we would start at 300 yards then move back to 500, 600, 700 800 then 900 yards. We were given patches each time we competed in the 'Queen's match', still got some somewhere. The range is a houseing estate now, they had to bulldoze 1 foot off the top to get rid of 130 years of lead from the bullets!

cheers,

-John

• 7 months later...

Hi again,

I just picked this 1985 version of the cup today, very simular but without colouring and it the Marine Corps Memorial on the reverse, could be simular to the mug 12A54 had. Both are made by WC Bunting Co.

I think this will be my last match mug, I don't want to get hooked!

85USMCcup_zps09fa6ec2.jpg

I also picked up a Distinguished Marksman award to go with these.

P6270020_zps351e0804.jpg

cheers,

-John

Well, I'm not too sure how involved I want to get with these, as usual, funds and space will help me decide.

It is fun though; my wife said "why do you want THEM for..... you don't even drink coffee!" :)

- John

John - the one given to me in '77 was identical to the '92 version. Very neat collecting niche to be pursuing I think, even if you don't drink coffee!

Hi 12A54,

I was wondering why your 1977 mug would be like the 1992 mug and not the 1985 mug, but then I realised that the 1985 cup has the memorial on it because 1985 was the 40th anniversary of the flag raising on Iwo Jima!

04_Rosenthal-Iwo-J_1890828i1_zps94d71e27

I had a cup of tea in the 1992 cup last week! :)

cheers,

-John

• 5 years later...

Hi,

after Photobucket did the dirty on everyone I decided to post my missing photos, here are the photos of the two mugs that were missing from the thread........

post-105780-0-56431000-1546806014.jpg