Confused - ACH MICH / SDS ?

lighthorseman

lighthorseman

Hi Everyone, Im new to the forum and am hoping someone can give me some insight into what ACH helmets were issued / used on tour and which ones to look out for. There are a number available on ebay claiming to have been issued but I just dont feel confident.

I mainly collect Australian and American WW11 stuff but really want to add one of these ACH helmets to my small but ambitious collection.

Errol

Heres one from ebay. Warrior Helmet by SDS

post-111211-0-59753300-1362379006.jpg

post-111211-0-97797000-1362379040.jpg

post-111211-0-11773800-1362379091.jpg

Early war you're looking at the older style K-pots which could date as the 80's. Then they came out with the MICH and ACH. When I went through basic in '06 we were issued either the MICH or the ACH and then during AIT we got those taken away and were re-issued K-Pots. As for covers you'll find woodland pattern (bdu), DCU (Tri-color), ACU (UCP) and multicam (there are also a few experimental ones out there). Early war Iraq you'll run mostly in to DCU which eventually will switch over to UCP at some point. By the time I deployed to Iraq in 08, we were 100% UCP in helmets and all of our gear. In Afghanistan you'd see similar deployment stuff up to UCP, and then it will switch over to multicam when the army decided to change that. Currently soldiers deploying will receive multicam issue just before they deploy. Hope this helps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_Integrated_Communications_Helmet MICH

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Combat_Helmet ACH

You might want to seek out one with the NVG mount already fitted if you want that "combat used" look....and maybe a patched cover too? That said, the mounts can be found separately and retro-fitted.

lighthorseman

Thanks RedLegGI, very informative thanks. So these pictures would be right according to the sellers description. He said it was his on a tour of Iraq so that would probably be around 08 or later because he has the UCP cover....right. Was the Warrior Helmet by SDS manufactured for the military? I read somewhere (i think on this forum) that the Warrier brand was non-military?

Errol

post-111211-0-19870000-1362382176.jpg

lighthorseman

Thanks Sabrejet, Im definately after the combat used look. Im after one that was used really by a GI if I can. Its actually pretty hard getting someone over there to sell you one on the other side of the world though :)

What do you mean a patched cover?

lighthorseman

Thats interesting about the recalls. I know which ones ill steer clear of then. Thanks for that RedLegGI. I älso now know what the MSA stands for (Mine Safety Appliances)

Heres another one from ebay thats claiming to be the real deal (been there) and has an interesting prayer square1

Link - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221194916163?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

In 06 when I was deployed to Iraq, we were being issued ACH's. All were issued the UCP covers, but the chin straps were mostly black with a small smattering of the "new" foilage green. The goggle retention straps were all over the place, mine had tan, a few had OD green, and even fewer were foilage green. The pads inside were almost all the Oregon Aero green and black and the size small helmets had the new, hard as a rock foilage green MSA pads.

When our replacements showed up in late '07, they were completely outfitted with helmets completely foilage green. So, 2006 was the year to clean out the socks of previous parts and pieces.

The helmet you show looks legitimate and used, just turn that helmet band over.

In 06 when I was deployed to Iraq, we were being issued ACH's. All were issued the UCP covers, but the chin straps were mostly black with a small smattering of the "new" foilage green. The goggle retention straps were all over the place, mine had tan, a few had OD green, and even fewer were foilage green. The pads inside were almost all the Oregon Aero green and black and the size small helmets had the new, hard as a rock foilage green MSA pads.

When our replacements showed up in late '07, they were completely outfitted with helmets completely foilage green. So, 2006 was the year to clean out the socks of previous parts and pieces.

The helmet you show looks legitimate and used, just turn that helmet band over.

I had forgotten about the back straps of the helmet as well as the chinstraps having various colors/designs. Early ACH could have green chinstraps with a built in nape pad that is a leathery brownish color. I've also seen some black and the majority I saw were greyish blue like the UCP colors. There is a thread somewhere on the forums where I posted my helmet, I'll see if I can find it.

Here is the thread where I posted my helmet to show some guys. I still have it at the house here, but its easier to just post the thread:

http://www.usmilitar...ney-show-finds/

for a "complete" helmet you'll want the shell, pads, chinstraps, nape strap (post '07), cover, NVG mount and the cat-eye band with name, battle roster number (mine is M3242) and blood type. Pads should be black or blueish grey (there may be some other colors, I'm not sure).

also if you look at the post by member Sbas he has a great pic of the green chinstraps with the leather nape strap.

Thanks Sabrejet, Im definately after the combat used look. Im after one that was used really by a GI if I can. Its actually pretty hard getting someone over there to sell you one on the other side of the world though :)

What do you mean a patched cover?

A cover with unit patches either sewn on or attached with velcro. This is pretty much standard practice now in combat units. There are small patches made just for this purpose. It's possible to find used/patched covers on eBay...and this forum.

Here are a couple of examples of the MICH (not ACH) that have been painted. Both are made by CGF Inc.

Link: http://www.usmilitar...ich#entry992751

Link: http://www.usmilitar.../page__hl__mich

The bottom helmet belonged to a Captain in the US Special Forces, who was awarded the Silver Star for valor in Afghanistan.

Here are a couple of examples of the MICH (not ACH) that have been painted. Both are made by CGF Inc.

Link: http://www.usmilitar...ich#entry992751

Link: http://www.usmilitar.../page__hl__mich

The bottom helmet belonged to a Captain in the US Special Forces, who was awarded the Silver Star for valor in Afghanistan.

On the manufacturing label does it say it is a MICH or do you go by manufacture date?

As far as I know, there was never a tag specifying these helmets as MICH (at least not on the several examples I own). The dates are usually how you determine if a helmet is a MICH. Also, the helmets made by CGF are all MICHs from what I understand.

As far as I know, there was never a tag specifying these helmets as MICH (at least not on the several examples I own). The dates are usually how you determine if a helmet is a MICH. Also, the helmets made by CGF are all MICHs from what I understand.

Ok good info

lighthorseman

Thanks for the information Hawkdriver. Its shed some more light around the '06 '07 period. It definately looks as though alot of mix and matching was going on with the inside pads and the goggle retention straps!

lighthorseman

Yes, I thought thats what the patch was Sabrejet. Thats a good pic of the cover with unit patch RedLegGI. Thats definately got the worn and dusty look of being there.

Now you fellas have given me more to think of with patches, NVG mounts and cat-eye bands with name, battle roster number and blood type etc, i feel like i need to lay down and rest (my head is spinning, haha) I'll keep looking i think and wait for the right one 9that is after Ive checked it out with you lot)

There are a few on ebay actually with most saying they only ship in the USA and not outside. I have asked if they would ship to AUS and most dont mind so long as im prepared to pay the extra. One bloke said he cant ship a helmet to me in AUS because its a ballistic helmet and shipment of body armor outside of the united states is a violation of ITAR.

It is a violation of ITAR and a guy I know was paid a visit by the DHS for shipping a "restricted item" overseas. Needless to say, he no longer ships overseas. The guys showed up with all of his past transactions for five years back to discuss what he had been selling.