70th Division Bringbacks

ScottG

Here is a copy of the Trailblazer unit history that was presented to me by the editor, he wrote a nice little note in it for me and I am very proud to have this book. Scott.

100_4613_zps4c61473f.jpg

100_4615_zps6c9c8d04.jpg

At the Lousville reunion one of the vets offered to bring lunch to me and my partner while we manned the display tables. The reunion was held at the Galt House Hotel and things were quite pricey so we didn't feel right having him buyy us lunch. He continued to insist and a couple of other guys gathered round to press the issue. Well, as you can see we were the victims of a well orchestrated prank as we were each handed a K-ration. I love these two rations and they will remain in my collection for a long time! Scott.

100_4618_zpsf16bb696.jpg

Scott, nice to see that you recorded the provenance for each item. Too many collectors don’t do this. They acquire things from vets (or their families) and record nothing, effectively divorcing these items from their past. Sad. The items become just stuff, stuff with no history. Monetary value is also lost. And in some cases people even doubt their authenticity. That will not happen to your items. Good job!

Scott, nice to see that you recorded the provenance for each item. Too many collectors don’t do this. They acquire things from vets (or their families) and record nothing, effectively divorcing these items from their past. Sad. The items become just stuff, stuff with no history. Monetary value is also lost. And in some cases people even doubt their authenticity. That will not happen to your items. Good job!

Yes I learned the hard way as well. Many items were left at my tables or the vet never came back and wrote down info so all I have is memories of some things. Others I was fortunate enough to get letters and names to put with the items. Thanks for all of the kind words. Scott

Here are a few of the 70th Assn Trailblazer magazines to include the 50th Anniversary issue. These contain many great articles and period photos not seen elsewhere and were a great addition to the displays. Scott.

100_4621_zps8c677526.jpg

I actually had a family friend who was a replacement in the 70th during the war. He was best friends with my wife's Grandfather and he attended the reunion in Michigan as it is his home state. He later sent me this copy of "Trail of the Fox" about his company as well as the letter you see and the little pamphlet which he carried. I am still in contact with him and love to talk about his experience in the war. Scott.

100_4620_zpsa60efc46.jpg

Here are two challenge coins I received from the Division Commanders for doing the displays at the reunions. These are not enameled like the newer type but they hold special meaning for me. Scott.

100_4619_zps26424b96.jpg

This is a copy of Charles Whitings "The Other Battle Of The Bulge: Operation Northwind" which is a great book and as you can see it contains detailed info on the involvement of the 70th in this campaign. Many of the veterans mentioned in the book signed my copy for me. Scott.

100_4616_zps732adc55.jpg

100_4617_zpsb380182e.jpg

Here is a Christmas menu from Aco 276th Infantry in 1943. The vet saved it and had it framed, probably his last good meal before shipping off to Europe. Scott.

100_4622_zpsd0d79fa6.jpg

badash5946

Those are super nice items. And I can only say that you are a heckuva partner to let that para helmet go bye-bye!

Those are super nice items. And I can only say that you are a heckuva partner to let that para helmet go bye-bye!

Thank you, in hindsight I guess I was a heck of a dumb partner :o , but it was a partnership and we are all only as good as our word. Scott

wow very nice stuff and amazing stories with true history!

I collect German items as well... the fact that they are all really "spoils of war" intrigues me.

Thank you all again, I really do not collect German items but these were part of the display and it just seemed proper to keep them together. Scott.

Here are some insignia given to me by various veterans of the 70th, some by mail and some by way of reunion displays. Scott

100_4647_zpsffe6126e.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

HBT 2nd pattern coveralls from a 70th Vet. These still have the outline of his ssi and rank on the sleeves. Well used but he said they were his favorite uniform for work details and such. he sent them home to use around the house after the war and forgot about them. His patch and rank are in my little display case. Scott

100_4891_zps451341f0.jpg