70th Division Bringbacks

ScottG

Back in the 1990s I used to travel to 70th Division Association Reunions with the Division Commanders of the 70th Div (TNG) USAR. I was an NCO in the unit and was lucky enough to be a collector and display items for the reunions. Below are German insignia from several of the vets. These came to me by way of mail, reunions, and even charity auctions at the reunions, I have kept them all even though the 70th Div (TNG) USAR moved out of Michigan in the mid 1990s. Enjoy, Scott.

100_4419_zpsc105448b.jpg

firefighter

Great looking collection.Does anybody know what the eagle 3rd from the bottom was for? My guess is a Veteran hat badge????

Great looking collection.Does anybody know what the eagle 3rd from the bottom was for? My guess is a Veteran hat badge????

Yes it is a veteran hat badge. It came from a 70th vet who got it from a house he was staying at immediately following the war. Scott.

Nice group Scott. I was with the 70th Div (TNG) from 82-86 in Fort Wayne. Glad to know that the division supported the WWII Trailblazers.

Nice group Scott. I was with the 70th Div (TNG) from 82-86 in Fort Wayne. Glad to know that the division supported the WWII Trailblazers.

I started in 87 in Fraser MI at the TNG SPT BDE as an infantry instructor. I did some weekends at the Richmond IN armory. Scott.

Scott,what's the round one far left 2nd row? Also saw that you were stationed at Ft Polk what unit ? I was b 3/10 inf(m) 81-83

Scott,what's the round one far left 2nd row? Also saw that you were stationed at Ft Polk what unit ? I was b 3/10 inf(m) 81-83

The badge is a numbered Meisterschutze 1944 badge. Basically a master shooter that competed for this in Germany. I was at Ft. Polk from 85-87 in the 4th MSB and later 4/6 Inf (m). Scott

Nice find, may I ask what is the eagle badge under the pith helmet sheilds?

Thanks

-Ben

It is a Meisterschutze 1944 badge. It is for a master shooter and is numbered on the reverse. Scott

I have been cleaning out my storage unit and was able to find some of my provenance paperwork from the 70th Division vets. So, here are a few pics of the items I have and the letters that came with. Enjoy! Scott.

100_4459_zps7e430f4c.jpg

These came weeks after the same vet had sent me some other insignia that will be pictured here and a camo para helmet that I let my partner in the displays take... Shouldn't have let the helmet go...

100_4461_zpsa0519376.jpg

I placed an ad in the division association magazine and these came in the mail. Unfortunately the vet didn't include any backstory and he never answered my requests for more info, maybe too many bad feelings?

100_4462_zpsf743fc27.jpg

More from the man who sent the para helmet, he packed the box with fishing lures from his company in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. My dad still uses many of the lures! Scott

100_4458_zpsb248a2a5.jpg

Here are a few newspaper clippings about how the 70th Association allowed the German vets they had faced in war attend their reunions. This was even more unique as most were members of the 6th SS. These were also sent to me by some of the vets who were very proud to have the Germans come to the reunions. Scott

100_4463_zps9b1c1b6d.jpg

As I continue to sort out my storage unit and go through boxes I will add more. Thanks for all of the kind comments! Scott.

• 2 months later...

Well, I had some additional motivation to sort out some more 70th Division items from when I did displays for the association. I will also include some US items here as I don't really have a display of these set up anymore. The 70th Division moved out of Michigan many years ago and these all went into storage. So here they are!

The first item came at the 50th anniversary celebration of the division in 1993, which was held in Livonia Michigannear where I live. I call this the bucle reunion as I received several during this weekend event. This is an early Luftwaffe buckle and full brown belt, it has remained one of my favorites from that time. Scott.

100_4608_zps33d34acc.jpg

100_4607_zps3cbacc73.jpg

Perhaps the most exciting buckle came in after a luncheon. I was talking to some of the guys about the display and militaria in general when one asked if I needed an SS buckle! I jumped right on it and he went to his bag and brought me this. While I am still happy to have it, as you can see it is a Hitler Youth buckle and not an SS buckle. Although I was full from lunch, I left feeling quite deflated ;) Scott

100_4609_zps89d2fc6c.jpg

This pair came in separately but they do look good together. A couple of Army buckles from the area around Spicheren Heights. Scott.

100_4611_zps7ad0d095.jpg

These goggles and case were from a military warehouse and the vet got them during the occupation period. Scott

100_4612_zps1c88bcbc.jpg