1969 Woodland / ERDL Covers

anton67

Very nice Eric.

I am going to do the same with my cover at some point.

I am told these covers are kind of rare so I think they are a good investment.

combat-helmets

Very nice Eric.

I am going to do the same with my cover at some point.

I am told these covers are kind of rare so I think they are a good investment.

Agreed.. I look at this as the "I got them when they were cheap" collectible and then 25 years for now when hey are going for a 3 digit number, ill know I did good on my little $17 dollar investment!

Agreed.. I look at this as the "I got them when they were cheap" collectible and then 25 years for now when hey are going for a 3 digit number, ill know I did good on my little $17 dollar investment!

since I only have one of these 69 dated covers , I'll probably save it for my collection and not put it on any of my helmets for now, I have plenty of post VN ERDL covers to use for display on a helmet

$17 is a very reasonable price for a brand new ERDL VN dated cover

combat-helmets

this seller is the luckiest guy in the world! He has no idea that he is getting lots of free publicity to sell his items LOL!!!

Glad everyone was able to get one.

This guy must have a whole box of them.

I think if he advertised a little better he could get more money for them.

combat-helmets

Glad everyone was able to get one.

This guy must have a whole box of them.

I think if he advertised a little better he could get more money for them.

SHHHH!!! dont give him any ideas !!!

Just an observation and would like members thoughts on this.. on these early erdl covers, one can see the camo pattern on the inside of the cover. I have a 76 dated erdl cover that is a solid light green color on the inside. Any idea on when this change may have occured and why the difference???

Cannot tell you exactly why it happened, except for maybe different supplier of the cloth/maker. While all those made in 1969 are unfinished on the interior, from 1975 - 1981 they can be found produced both with a mixture of unfinished and green finished interiors at the same time. Hope that helps.

post-10954-0-10541700-1362821330.jpg

While searching other forum threads, I came across this really cool photo of Marines from the 1975 Mayaguez rescue party. An intersting mix of Mitchell pattern covers and no doubt '69 contract dated ERDL pattern covers...

I've definitely been inspired to do a 1975 marine torso display.

Here are some more 1975 Vietnam marine photos for you Justin. First up are from the S.S. Mayaguez rescue on Koh Tang island, Cambodia.

post-98601-0-20843800-1363495776.jpg

post-98601-0-17750900-1363495798.jpg

Saigon, April 1975. ERDL uniforms with Mitchell cover. Marine on left appears to be wearing green dominant uniform while the one on the right appears to be wearing the brown dominant trousers and green dominant shirt.

post-98601-0-99674200-1363496280.jpg

pump 150...thanks for posting those pictures. Outstanding! I've never would have thought they would be wearing normal OG 107 fatigues. I would have thought they would be wearing ERDL camo. My brother entered the corps in 1977 and he was issued two sets of each.

combat-helmets

Agreed Pump! Excellent photos! I never saw any of these! I'm glad I grabbed one of those '69 dated ERDL covers.

Proves use at the latter stages of the War! Bolo, how on earth can you tell that is a Korean era cover on that helmet? Not enough detail for me to even assess??

Love the good sets of eyes on these forums. People are very sharp pointing out the little details that collectors search out!

p.s. outstanding thread! I'm gleaning alot of really interesting information on not only covers, but uniforms and field gear...

a Marine takes a nap on board a aircraft carrier flight deck during Operation Frequent Wind 1975

his helmet has the ERDL camo cover, also notice the WWII M1 carbine rifle at his side

post-1885-0-56740100-1363640055.jpg

Great photos Bolo. Found a few more from the S.S. Mayaguez rescue. Here are eight photos of Delta 1/4 marines aboard the USS Holt (had been dropped off by helo) which came along side and boarded the Mayaguez. All the photos provided on this thread show excellent reference of ERDL covers used during this timeframe.

post-98601-0-35505500-1363644734.jpg

post-98601-0-97220400-1363644806.jpg

combat-helmets

Fascinating thread ! Gets better and better with each post!

My cover should arrive today! I'm excited to add it to the collection!

combat-helmets

Found these covers on ebay.

I was told that they were kind of rare so I figured I would give you guys a chance to buy one.

I bought one myself and it was in excellent condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350706404602?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Great, just great (not)

Mine arrived today and of course the stamping is on a leaf that is dark and its not even legible.

I swear I looks like DL?-79-F?? ....

So question: are these 69 covers the one where the colors bleed through ? I've seen the later produced ones with the green only side and was a lot of these produced in 1979 (with the color bleed) ?

Ill post pics tomorrow but right now I'm not feeling the love.. Please let me know.

Of course I expect the seller to say sorry - sold out..