Interesting Rigger Wing 557 QM

post-2609-1205240882.jpg

This rigger wing is embroidered on a thick dark wool and reads 557 QM in yellow rather than RIGGER in red. I found this over 20 years ago at a local flea market glued in a scrapbook. I was told long ago that this was a Korean War era black unit that was part of a parachute aerial supply company. I don't know this to be fact but thought I would share this with others as I haven't seen another.

post-2609-1205240882.jpg

This rigger wing is embroidered on a thick dark wool and reads 557 QM in yellow rather than RIGGER in red. I found this over 20 years ago at a local flea market glued in a scrapbook. I was told long ago that this was a Korean War era black unit that was part of a parachute aerial supply company. I don't know this to be fact but thought I would share this with others as I haven't seen another.

The 557th Quartermaster Company (Aerial Supply) was active during the Korean War era and the early 1960s serving at Fort Bragg and then in Europe (Evurex France and Maintz, Germany). Most units were integrated during the Korean War era so it would have been the exception to be an all black unit.

It's mentioned in not so flattering terms in this Time magazine article from Sept 1963

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...iid=chix-sphere

If you ever want to sell or trade, keep me in mind. Rigger wings are my specialty.

Kevin

Brian Keith

What else was in the scrapbook? Looking at it would have probably told the soldiers story, unless it was just a patch collectors scrapbook.

BKWa