Not every paratrooper had a M-2 or M-1C shell.

Although some say the 4 hole straps are WW2 too, I never bothered to keep them...

The 4 eyelet khaki chinstraps are most differently WW2 production.

Written contributor to French Militaria Magazine, UK World War II Re-enactors Magazine &The Karkee Web Research Team.

Remembering the service of:
9095 Pte Alfred Fredrick NEWLAND, 7th Field Ambulance, 2 Division, AIF. WIA 16/11/16 France.
436 Private Albert McCANN, B Company 8th Battalion AIF. Enlisted 26/8/14. Killed in Action 17/6/15 Gallipoli.
VX24056 Gunner George Edward McCANN, 2/3 Composite Anti Aircraft Regiment. Enlisted 7/6/40. Discharged 3/8/44. Served in Australia and New Guinea.

donation2016.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2008.gif

I just made another screenshot of the same Major and he's definately got a white diamond marking on the side of the helmet.

VarsityMajor.jpg

That shot is in the middle of other footage showing troopers preparing for Varsity. Could he be 501PIR jumping as an observer....?

I have the book Victory in Europe which is all about George Stevens color footage and there is a nice picture of the major standing in front of some planes in full gear from head to toe on page 131 if you guys have the book....mike

Always looking for and buying 50's era 11th Airborne/ 187th ARCT/ 82nd Airborne tac mark painted jump helmets!

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gif

Oh yeah, almost forgot, it has the picture caption on the previous page stating that he is in the 17th Airborne Div.

Always looking for and buying 50's era 11th Airborne/ 187th ARCT/ 82nd Airborne tac mark painted jump helmets!

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gif

Dont forget that the eyelet metal is also different.

My 4 eyelet chinstrap is made from zinc, not brass which is the same as most late war metal equipment fittings. Vietnam era chinstraps have brass eyelets.

The order of chinstraps is

Leather.

5 eyelet khaki.

4 eyelet khaki.

4 eyelet OD.

I have been told that there was a version of the 4 eyelet OD that is wartime but it is very rare.

i saw a blue one, not sure if it was 4 or 5 eyelet, was stated that it could be navy..... but i havent a clue thats why im asking? clone maybe?

I have been told that there was a version of the 4 eyelet OD that is wartime but it is very rare.

I have OD#7 4-hole variant. It is without "US" stamp as in postwar cups. Is WWII OD#7 cup with small zinc or big brass eyelets?

My 4 eyelet chinstrap is made from zinc, not brass which is the same as most late war metal equipment fittings. Vietnam era chinstraps have brass eyelets.

Brass eyelets with a little smaller hole (4.35mm diameter) have also light khaki chinstraps. It is this type of brass eyelet where its external diameter is relatively big -- 10.75mm.

The order of chinstraps is

Leather.

5 eyelet khaki.

4 eyelet khaki.

4 eyelet OD

Do you know what does zinc mean for cotton chinstraps history? There are 4-eyelet OD#7 chinstraps not stamped "US" and with small zinc eyelets but with bigger hole than in brass ones. I mean zinc eyelets where external diameter is only 9mm (not 10.75mm as in brass ones) and hole diameter is 4.55mm (not 4.35mm as in brass ones).

Regards

Greg

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

i saw a blue one, not sure if it was 4 or 5 eyelet, was stated that it could be navy..... but i havent a clue thats why im asking? clone maybe?

I am note sure about a blue one. I'd would have to be something navy I would guess.

Written contributor to French Militaria Magazine, UK World War II Re-enactors Magazine &The Karkee Web Research Team.

Remembering the service of:
9095 Pte Alfred Fredrick NEWLAND, 7th Field Ambulance, 2 Division, AIF. WIA 16/11/16 France.
436 Private Albert McCANN, B Company 8th Battalion AIF. Enlisted 26/8/14. Killed in Action 17/6/15 Gallipoli.
VX24056 Gunner George Edward McCANN, 2/3 Composite Anti Aircraft Regiment. Enlisted 7/6/40. Discharged 3/8/44. Served in Australia and New Guinea.

donation2016.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2008.gif

Miley has a 5-hole. You can tell by the way the chin piece is sewn onto the piece with the holes.

It is highly probable that the following is the actual timeline:

- Westinghouse production from Mid-1944 : supplied with a matching order of 5-hole tan webbing chincups (these are the ones used August 1944-March 1945 in combat in the ETO);

- Westinghouse production as part of the newly-approved M1-C helmet from December 44 onwards : supplied with a matching order of 4-hole tan webbing chincup (production changing to a light green shade at some point).

The only chance you have to see a 4-hole chincup in use during the pre-August 1945 time period is in training photos in the US of troops wearing newly-issued M1-C helmets.

That photo of the guy in colour in front of the C-47 is either 1945 or even 1946. Don't get hung up by the M42 Jumpsuit - they were still wearing them in training post-war.

Cheers,

Glen.

2nd Armored in Europe : http://www.2ndarmoredineurope.co.uk

• 2 years later...
The only chance you have to see a 4-hole chincup in use during the pre-August 1945 time period is in training photos in the US of troops wearing newly-issued M1-C helmets.

I have two 5 holes tan color straps in my collection.

Although some say the 4 hole straps are WW2 too, I never bothered to keep them...

"The first webbing chin strap appeared for the Holland invasion in September 1944. It is a five holes version in OD 3 color. As for the leather chin cup, webbing chin strap specification shows four holes but most WWII examples have five holes."

Michel De Trez

American Paratrooper Helmets

page 29

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.