Not every paratrooper had a M-2 or M-1C shell.

The use of standard M-1 helmets by a number paratroopers (due to exhausted stocks of M-2 helmets) in units such as the 504th and 505th PIRs in North Africa and Sicily in 1943 is well known, and there are many photographs to confirm this.

However I want to bring collectors attention to the use of the Parachutist's helmet liner (or later the later M-1C liner) with a standard M-1 helmet shell in the ETO in 1944 and 1945.

The first period picture is a trooper climbing aboard a C-47 on the evening of June 5th 1944.

The remaining photographs are of troops of the 17th Airborne Division taken in March 1945 during Operation Varsity.

All the pictures show a Parachutist's helmet liner or the later M-1C liner being used with a M-1 shell. Every trooper shown has stretched the liner's leather chin strap over the shell, in order to keep the pair together.

The second last period picture shows a M-1C liner with a 5 eyelet khaki chin strap while the last picture shows a M-1C liner with what I think is a 4 eyelet khaki chin strap. This last pic also unquestionably highlights the M-1 shell.

uniforms067.jpg

uniforms066-1.jpg

uniforms069.jpg

uniforms071-1.jpg

Here are some pics of my original M-1C liner mated to a late war non reflective OD-7 color chinstrap M-1 shell.

uniforms073-1.jpg

uniforms076-1.jpg

uniforms079-1.jpg

uniforms080-1.jpg

Written contributor to French Militaria Magazine, UK World War II Re-enactors Magazine &The Karkee Web Research Team.

Remembering the service of:
9095 Pte Alfred Fredrick NEWLAND, 7th Field Ambulance, 2 Division, AIF. WIA 16/11/16 France.
436 Private Albert McCANN, B Company 8th Battalion AIF. Enlisted 26/8/14. Killed in Action 17/6/15 Gallipoli.
VX24056 Gunner George Edward McCANN, 2/3 Composite Anti Aircraft Regiment. Enlisted 7/6/40. Discharged 3/8/44. Served in Australia and New Guinea.

donation2016.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2008.gif

The use of standard M-1 helmets by a number paratroopers (due to exhausted stocks of M-2 helmets) in units such as the 504th and 505th PIRs in North Africa and Sicily in 1943 is well known, and there are many photographs to confirm this.

[...]

The remaining photographs are of troops of the 17th Airborne Division taken in March 1945 during Operation Varsity.

Yes, 513th PIR also used standard M1s. Here is one more pic of the 513th PIR para before Varsity. His swivel bail M1 can be clearly seen.

post-75-1205228905.jpg

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

thanks for the info, I have some helmets set up with a standard shell and paratrooper liner, Im glad to know that they were actually used that way

I have also seen photos of Vietnam Air Cav with standard shells and AB liners

From George Stevens's D-Day to Berlin Color DVD

varsity9pomn7.jpg

Standard M1 Fix bail Helmet, Westinghouse liner and Khaki Chinstrap with 5 holes....

Note the Parachute First Aid Pouch and USAAF B8 Goggles, with chamois lining...!

And the Major's insignia are pinned underneath the epaulettes, you can see the pin...

But is he 17th AB??? WHat's the white marking on the helmet side??

f_poll.gif '29th,Let's Go!' f_poll.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I would guess the Major is a glider pilot.I know a guy(and have his uniform group w/dog tags)that flew the Varsity drop.He fought as infantry until relieved and flew out.He alowed me to duplicate some slides he took during the battle.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

But is he 17th AB???

Could be. For every one photographer it would not be so easy to take a picture of a para with cotton chin cup in Market Garden but it was not a problem in Varsity when these chin cups were not so rare as earlier. Moreover he is prepared for Winter conditions (Jeep Cap under the helmet) and it would be hard, if not impossible, to find a para in Jeep Cap under the helmet in Market Garden.

BTW --> he has interesting suspenders.

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

I just made another screenshot of the same Major and he's definately got a white diamond marking on the side of the helmet.

VarsityMajor.jpg

That shot is in the middle of other footage showing troopers preparing for Varsity. Could he be 501PIR jumping as an observer....?

f_poll.gif '29th,Let's Go!' f_poll.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

great photo/still johan..now the chin cup is very interesting subject to me..4 and 5 hole can someone please give me a time scale when and where they where used..i have two westinghouse jump liners one late the other early and would like to put the correct chin-cups on them..the later jump liner i have had a 4 hole chin-cup when i purchased the liner with u.s ink stamped on the front.is this correct for a late westinghouse..?.

great photo/still johan..now the chin cup is very interesting subject to me..4 and 5 hole can someone please give me a time scale when and where they where used..i have two westinghouse jump liners one late the other early and would like to put the correct chin-cups on them..the later jump liner i have had a 4 hole chin-cup when i purchased the liner with u.s ink stamped on the front.is this correct for a late westinghouse..?

I have two 5 holes tan color straps in my collection.

Although some say the 4 hole straps are WW2 too, I never bothered to keep them...

You can't go wrong with a 5 hole chincup

On this occasion we may tell that OD#7 cotton chin cups existed during WWII. This image comes from our forumer Jonathan Gawne's book "U.S. Army Photo Album. Shooting The War in Color 1941-1945 USA to ETO". I hope the photograph is not copyrighted and comes from the OWI or Signal Corps collections for public use. If it comes from restricted collection then please delete it and remain only text information. I got it without precision info about copyrights for this photo.

post-75-1205268683.jpg

post-75-1205268694.jpg

thank you johan..most ref i have seen show 5 hole ,now the hunt is on for one

Guy F. Rousseau shows in his book "US Airborne Militaria 1944" both 4- and 5-hole variants as WWII-used.

post-75-1205270035.jpg

On this occasion we may tell that OD#7 cotton chin cups existed during WWII. This image comes from our forumer Jonathan Gawne's book "U.S. Army Photo Album. Shooting The War in Color 1941-1945 USA to ETO". I hope the photograph is not copyrighted and comes from the OWI or Signal Corps collections for public use. If it comes from restricted collection then please delete it and remain only text information. I got it without precision info about copyrights for this photo.

maybe posting a link to the pictures would be a good idea, then if they were copy righted and got deleted you would still have a link to them in your post that people can go look at for them selves, thats if they have come off the internet in the first place, just my 2 cents

maybe posting a link to the pictures would be a good idea, then if they were copy righted and got deleted you would still have a link to them in your post that people can go look at for them selves, thats if they have come off the internet in the first place, just my 2 cents

No link in that case. I have it in my computer. I may prepare of course No_outside_hosting link but from law point of view it changes nothing. I hope Jonathan will advise good solution. This photo looks like a product of wartime public affairs machine thus I hope we will have not the problems.

would a Vietnam era 4 hole chin strap look the same as a late WWII 4 hole strap? or is the webbing diferent?

I am not big V-nam collector but we may compare it at the photographs. Here is my light khaki 4-hole specimen.

post-75-1205279837.jpg

Dont forget that the eyelet metal is also different.

My 4 eyelet chinstrap is made from zinc, not brass which is the same as most late war metal equipment fittings. Vietnam era chinstraps have brass eyelets.

The order of chinstraps is

Leather.

5 eyelet khaki.

4 eyelet khaki.

4 eyelet OD.

I have been told that there was a version of the 4 eyelet OD that is wartime but it is very rare.

Written contributor to French Militaria Magazine, UK World War II Re-enactors Magazine &The Karkee Web Research Team.

Remembering the service of:
9095 Pte Alfred Fredrick NEWLAND, 7th Field Ambulance, 2 Division, AIF. WIA 16/11/16 France.
436 Private Albert McCANN, B Company 8th Battalion AIF. Enlisted 26/8/14. Killed in Action 17/6/15 Gallipoli.
VX24056 Gunner George Edward McCANN, 2/3 Composite Anti Aircraft Regiment. Enlisted 7/6/40. Discharged 3/8/44. Served in Australia and New Guinea.

donation2016.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2008.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.