Bullet type ?

Screamingeagles101

Screamingeagles101

Hello, can someone please enlighten me on what kind of bullet this is. I've been told it is a 30 caliber ?

It measures 3 1/4 inches. If possible can you please tell me what kind of gun it would have went in.

Thanks in advanced :)

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q509/xdominick97/B394CDD7-1EE4-4EC4-9F7D-DCD72E665B87-7903-00000B77101CA49C_zps57008afc.jpg

looks like a garand or carbine bullet

Not carbine, the M1 Carbine used a special .30 round totally different from the .30-06 used in M1 rifles.

your right just saw some picks if bottom marked it would prolly be a m1 garand bullet right ??

Not exactly. All cased ammunition has some kind of marking on the base of the cartridge case denoting the manufacturer, year of manufacture, caliber, or some combination thereof.

The difference between ammuntition for the M1 Carbine and other rifle ammo is that the case of the carbine ammo is straight-walled, just a hair (only a hair really) bigger than the bullet itself, essentially looking like a long, thin pistol cartridge. It does not have the bottle-neck shape that other so-called full power rifle cartridges have, like the 30-'06 for the M1903 and M1 rifles.

ww2relichunter

Hmm thanks for the info i didnt realize how small the ammo was for the m1 carbine i looked it up to see exactly what you meant and they do look like a slighty longer pistol cartridge thanks for all the info many regards Sean

ww2relichunter

Not exactly. All cased ammunition has some kind of marking on the base of the cartridge case denoting the manufacturer, year of manufacture, caliber, or some combination thereof.

The difference between ammuntition for the M1 Carbine and other rifle ammo is that the case of the carbine ammo is straight-walled, just a hair (only a hair really) bigger than the bullet itself, essentially looking like a long, thin pistol cartridge. It does not have the bottle-neck shape that other so-called full power rifle cartridges have, like the 30-'06 for the M1903 and M1 rifles.

Does this mean it is actually a 03 springfield ?? because it is ww1 marked i have the gun it is a beautiful gun my uncle bought it when they sold of surplus and he gave it to me before he died

Screamingeagles101

Those this bullet belonged to a ww1 springfield ?

Could it be used in a garand ?

Is it worth anything ?

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it

Yes, a WWI 1903 assuming that it is a .30-06. Again, without actual measurements, just guessing, but it is most likely a -06.

Yes, it could be fired in a Garand as the -03 and garand are both .30-06. It could be fired in the BAR and also the .30 machine guns, they all fired .30-06.

Worth? You are not going to college on it. I have a entire bandoleer of them and paid $40. So, maybe a buck or two at best. I will say that unless the bullet has unseated, the cannular above the case mouth could indicate a tracer, but wouldn't lay money on it. If that is the case, I would bet that this started out as a machine gun round and why there is a cannular in the case neck, these prevented bullet seat back from recoil.

Screamingeagles101

Yes, a WWI 1903 assuming that it is a .30-06. Again, without actual measurements, just guessing, but it is most likely a -06.

Yes, it could be fired in a Garand as the -03 and garand are both .30-06.

Worth? You are not going to college on it. I have a entire bandoleer of them and paid $40. So, maybe a buck or two at best. I will sat that unless the bullet has unseated, the cannular above the case mouth could indicate a tracer, but wouldn't lay money on it.

Thanks for the feed back. I'm not very good with guns. Please correct me if I'm wrong, the Springfield was used as a sniper in ww2 ? Didnt private jackson in saving private Ryan use this gun ?

Before it was used as a sniper rifle, the M1903 was used as the standard infantry rifle like the M1 that replaced it.

On a different note, I would not fire that round in a rifle because it looks like the bullet was pulled out (probably to dump the powder) and reseated. I think that because of the marks visible above the line of grooves around the bullet look like they came from a pair of pliers. Also, the grooves is not close as close to the edge of the case mouth as it should. The round in the picture shows what a properly seated bullet should look like.

post-101332-0-92138700-1361845773.jpg

Not necessarily true. I agree that you shouldn't try firing it and it does show signs of either being pulled on, or crunched in an action. But the cannular doesn't necessarily mean it's been pulled. As I stated before, tracer rounds sometimes have the second cannular to identify them if the paint were to come off. Here is an example of what I am talking about. Notice that on the .50 round, it has dual cannular, and also the clip of Garand tracer also has the secondary cannular. This picture contains from left to right, 7.62 tracer (orange). M2 AP round (black). Broken off bullet from a WWI .30-06 and a .30-06 that was repaired, and finally a .50 APIT.

aakh9x.jpg

In this picture, since we had the .30 discussion, here are many of the .30 cal rounds. From left to right, the same 1903 round from previous. A M2 AP .30-06, a foreign mfg. tracer with extra cannular, a .30 carbine tracer, and a 7.62 dim tracer. All are .30 caliber.

ndalfn.jpg

Screamingeagles101

Thanks for the pics. May I ask exactly what a tracer does ?

I've heard about them in ww2 dogfights. They fire every 5 bullets. ?

No prob. I'm not saying that the round in the picture isn't what you said, it could still be a partial pull, but the length looks like it's still seated at the right depth.

Thanks for the pics. May I ask exactly what a tracer does ?

I've heard about them in ww2 dogfights. They fire every 5 bullets. ?

Basically, there is a chemical compound in the base which burns and therefore lets you see the bullet going through the air after it leaves the barrel. Can be used to help adjust your fire onto the target. However, it also can reveal your position to the enemy-- There ain't no free lunch.

Screamingeagles101

Basically, there is a chemical compound in the base which burns and therefore lets you see the bullet going through the air after it leaves the barrel. Can be used to help adjust your fire onto the target. However, it also can reveal your position to the enemy-- There ain't no free lunch.

Thanks a lot :)